Suspended
Sep 20, 2002
Frankston
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Sedat! said:
We should be thanking you....for 1979 (the injustice of it all), 1980 (the embarassment), 1981 (the capitulation within touching distance of glory), 2002 (the heartache) and 2003 (the humiliation and sheer comedy). Just that one black October day in 1990, but otherwise Collingwood have given most of us nothing but pleasure in 30-odd years of football watching.

Ah yes a Doggies supporter who keeps a history of Collingwood - welcome to the BF Collingwood supporters group.
Next time could you put up the goal kickers, I know you have them somewhere.

Walsh Bay

Club Legend
Feb 5, 2004
Sydney's West
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bombers 2003 said:
Because in a lot of cases their parents hate Collingwood.
BTW-I dont hate the 'pies.

That's right, my dad was and is obsessive in his hatred of the pies, because when he first came to the big smoke he was in an office full of collingwood supporters and he found their arrogance and whinging unbearable. They were a genuine powerhouse in those days.

I've never experienced it myself because I've grown up in era where, on the whole, considering the resources that have been at their disposal, they've woefully underachieved.
I don't hate any side like my dad hates the pies.

Sedat!

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bombers 2003 said:
Wasnt that 1970?.
3 goals up and had all the running in the 3rd, only for Carlton to run all over the top of them to win by 20-odd. Dominator starred. IIRC, this was the GF where Peter Moore threw away his runner-up medal i disgust, forcing the abolishment of this medal for the next 20 years. 1970 was the more famous capitulation.

veryevilmike

Debutant
May 10, 2005
Other Teams
"Never moon a werewolf.."
sp-mac said:
Every club would have gone for Brown and every club will have a crack at Dal Santo. You'll only here about Collingwood because that is what will eventually get any given players manager a better pay rise at the club they are at.

Been through this a thousand times. There is a salary cap and every other club has the same potential to poach players as we do. We are made out to be the rich poacher like Arsenal and Man U but the reality is these deals never go through, and never really seriously look like happening.

Whilst the salary cap has removed collingwood's ability to do this, the fact is that for a very long time this rich poacher reputation was fairly true. These days you are limited by the cap but are one of the richest clubs with the huge supporter base and the most visible in media care of eddie&co. This sort of feeling is passed down from the one-eyed dad taking little johnny to the football, so even if a lot of the original reasons no longer apply the feeling s continue - they've reached a degree of critical mass.

Piano Player

Senior List
Apr 29, 2004
E.J.Whitten Stand / Maribyrnong
Other Teams
Footscray
Sedat! said:
We should be thanking you....for 1979 (the injustice of it all), 1980 (the embarassment), 1981 (the capitulation within touching distance of glory), 2002 (the heartache) and 2003 (the humiliation and sheer comedy). Just that one black October day in 1990, but otherwise Collingwood have given most of us nothing but pleasure in 30-odd years of football watching.
We are the last club who should be taking the snake's hiss out of Collingwood Sedat. They will be 10 deep punching holes in that post. Not for your statement, but who should or shouldn't be making it and we shouldn't.

October 1990 was a warm afternoon wasn't it and Essendon losing a Grand Final isn't necessarily a dark day?

celtic_pride

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 12, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
B.Celtics, FC Barcelona, Leeds Utd
Collingwood ... what is there to like about them ?
They keep up the myth that they are the greatest sporting club in Australia, whereas in reality they are steeped in failure ....
No one in Melbourne was happier when Brisbane won their 3rd flag in a row by wiping Collingwood from the face of the earth than non-Pies fans. All week the Pies fans bragged about winning the flag, yet ended up once again with egg on their faces.

Piano Player

Senior List
Apr 29, 2004
Other Teams
Footscray
Jack-Packenham said:
I liked them until Eddie 2Spoons came along
I like that- Eddie Two Spoons. no more Mc Chins- just Mc Spoons

It could have been
David "2 Spoons" Smorgon
or
Clinton "Double Spoon" Casey

but with their recent 'revivals', atm EMcG has the box seat. Then this possibility

Two Spoons Carlton?

one each for Elliott and Collins. Maybe Jack wasn't so bad after all?

Draft picks are good but the wooden spoon should still be a stigma and Carlton and all others should fight like hell to avoid that stigma. I always admired Carlton for their pride in never finishing last till it happened. Draft picks are no good if you don't pick right and that happens regularly. Pride should come first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MadRyan

Club Legend
Jul 22, 2004
Werribee
AFL Club
Collingwood
diehard pie said:
That's it. :mad:
Ever since I started following footy I've had no idea why every single ********ing person who follows football despises Collingwood.
Why?What have we done to deserve such abuse. What is at Pieland that makes you people think we are unworthy of being treated fairly and with respect. Is it the players? The supporters? It can't be Eddie because we've been hated a long time before he rocked up.
I need a reason. Collingwood needs a reason.
The best 3 reasons I have been given are:
1)Cause I just do
2)Everyone else does
3)Because it's Collingwood
Have we ********ed you off personally or did you just see everyone else bagging us and decided to be a soft-******** follower and jump on the anti-Collingwood bandwagon.
Carlton and Essedon are one thing that's a rivalry. But the others if there is no other reason we'll have to assume it's jealousy. Jealousy for our on and off field success.
Prove me wrong.
I want a reason. Not just they're "********ers" or "tools', fact.
If you can give me that I'll shut up and ******** off.
But if you can't, think twice the next time you go and tag along and give the black and white unwarranted abuse we probably do not deserve.
Most of you will probably call me a sook and say to get over it but think if your team was given this treatment.
I'm sick of always having to defend the team I so passionately support.
********ing sick to death.

I hate Collingwood because of people like you and i support Collingwood.

oohdannyboy

Team Captain
Sep 20, 2004
Other Teams
BRISBANE LIONS
diehard pie said:
That's it. :mad:
Ever since I started following footy I've had no idea why every single ********ing person who follows football despises Collingwood.
Why?What have we done to deserve such abuse. What is at Pieland that makes you people think we are unworthy of being treated fairly and with respect. Is it the players? The supporters? It can't be Eddie because we've been hated a long time before he rocked up.
I need a reason. Collingwood needs a reason.
The best 3 reasons I have been given are:
1)Cause I just do
2)Everyone else does
3)Because it's Collingwood
Have we ********ed you off personally or did you just see everyone else bagging us and decided to be a soft-******** follower and jump on the anti-Collingwood bandwagon.
Carlton and Essedon are one thing that's a rivalry. But the others if there is no other reason we'll have to assume it's jealousy. Jealousy for our on and off field success.
Prove me wrong.
I want a reason. Not just they're "********ers" or "tools', fact.
If you can give me that I'll shut up and ******** off.
But if you can't, think twice the next time you go and tag along and give the black and white unwarranted abuse we probably do not deserve.
Most of you will probably call me a sook and say to get over it but think if your team was given this treatment.
I'm sick of always having to defend the team I so passionately support.
********ing sick to death.
Collingwood are hated so much because:
*They have a president and board that push there own agenda.
*There Supporters although some ok a large percentage are as rough as guts.
*Joffa stinks.
*They want the salary cap consessions gone but then spit in the very face of why it was there player retention. (then go try poach J.Brown)
*Eddie is one-eye which is great!! But It's terribly unfair that he thinks he can speak for all clubs,just because he is in the media.
*Lastly, Hating Collingwood is as Normal as bobbing for apples.

Sedat!

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Piano Player said:
We are the last club who should be taking the snake's hiss out of Collingwood Sedat. They will be 10 deep punching holes in that post. Not for your statement, but who should or shouldn't be making it and we shouldn't.

October 1990 was a warm afternoon wasn't it and Essendon losing a Grand Final isn't necessarily a dark day?
Missing the point here, Piano. Our club has a small supporter base, we battle hard, and we have a crack, albeit without too much success. What our club does not do is treat the other 15 clubs in the competition with disrespect, arrogantly making proclamations about being the saviour of the AFL competition. A club that does that should have the history to back it up, and for Collingwood fans/administration to make these grandiose statements on the back of 1 flag in nearly 5 decades is rubbish frankly.

Furthermore, the thread is asking why we hate Collingwood so much, and I was merely pointing out a few reasons why some of us do. And yes, I enjoyed every bit of those Collingwood GF losses as the winning Tigers, Blues and Lions supporters did, because I happen to hate the Pies. Honestly, I could watch the 2003 GF over and over again, and it would still continue to bring me as much pleasure now as it did on the day.

Piano Player

Senior List
Apr 29, 2004
Other Teams
Footscray
Sedat! said:
Missing the point here, Piano. Our club has a small supporter base, we battle hard, and we have a crack, albeit without too much success. What our club does not do is treat the 15 other clubs in the competition with disrespect and arrogantly make proclamations about being the saviour of the AFL competition. A club that does that should have the history to back it up, and for Collingwood fans ro make these grandiose statement on the back of 1 flag in 4 decades is rubbish frankly. Furthermore, the thread is asking why we hate Collingwood so much, and I was merely pointing out a few reasons why some of us do. And yes, I enjoyed every bit of those Collingwood GF losses as the winning Tigers, Blues and Lions supporters did, because I happen to hate the Pies.

I can see the angle your coming from Sedat but I just think it best that other clubs supporters make those comments and not us. We leave ourselves wide open to the replies that Murray from Frankston made to you earlier and Murray's response was correct.
It is a back handed complement to Collingwood that they are so frequently mentioned here by fans of other clubs. No one bothers to post negative threads about the Kangaroos and their supporters but with Collingwood- the team everyone supposedly loves to hate well do people really despise them? If you really hated them wouldn't you not bother mentioning them, just in the hope that they might go away?

I'm not bagging you there Sedat or your arguments BTW, just an assumption that we're not in a situation to ridicule a rival club's lack of premiership success. The only club we possibly could, would be Sydney(1933) if anyone, but what would be the point?

Bretski

Premiership Player
May 17, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Souless Franchise
well cos they are like the image of, well id hate to say it, but the image of evil, black and white, evil. Eddie only contributes to this, they are also from melbourn so that kinda emphisises it

pies75

Team Captain
Jan 20, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
storm & celtic
Sedat! said:
Because they are the team of choice for the mindless populist. They are not cult or alternative - they are like the "Creed" of the AFL.

Because their fans are spoon-fed piles and piles of doggy-doo in the media about how successful they are (and they stupidly swallow it), and yet they have won 1 premiership in almost 50 years - a pathetic history for the AFL's self-proclaimed "super power".

Good point, But I'll think you'll find that a lot of pies fans don't realyy accept this situation. Deserting the club seems to be counter-productive in trying to change the situation. we all know you need the support to generate the income.

Because their fans do not know any players from any other sides - they do not truly have a passion for the great game of AFL, only for their own side.

I haven't had the pleasure of reading a more generalised statement in a long while.

Because (recently) they have refused to acknowledge the brilliance of a side like Brisbane managing to win 3 flags in a row, using their powerful position in the media to ensure that such an amazing performance is unfairly tainted - this at the same time as manipulating the AFL draw to ensure that they own the lucrative Friday night football, ensuring they receive $9 million sponsorship deals over 5 years (the sheer hypocrosy of their stance will never cease to amaze me).

I think alot of pies fans get ********ty about the brions because of the mileage opposition fans want to get out of the losses of 2002-03. Every time we mention the fact(yes, fact) that we were beaten by a better team we get shouted down and spoken to in tones people normally reserve for five year-olds.

How do you know they "manipulated" the draw? As mentioned in the paper a few weeks back, the pies got a better friday night deal in accordance with their on-field performances of the past few years. The deal has changed this year, and we will get less next year because of our poor performances.

People seem to conveniently forget that the reason they see so much of the pies is because they will A) sell papers and B) lift ratings, purely because of their large support. ditto the dons and blue-baggers.

Because they benefited from the free market system by buying most of their 14 flags, which is far more of a leg-up that receiving an extra 600K a season in this day and age.

Once again, a fairly generalised statement. I'm quite sure, if this happens to be the truth, that they're not the only club guilty of this.

Because they do not accept that they are merely 1/16th of the AFL - they are not the AFL.

Because their arrogance is not backed up with on-field success.

Gold jacket wearing cheer squad members are afforded more media profile than someone like Chad Fletcher.

Because, despite being rooted at the foot of the ladder, they do not understand the simple concept of "pulling your head in".

"pulling your head in?" Is this in the great australian tradition of knocking, abusing, pouring scorn and vitriol from every concievable angle onto people or clubs who dare to hold views and beliefs dofferent to the general population?

And we get accused of arrogance!!

pies75

Team Captain
Jan 20, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
storm & celtic
Sorry about that last post, I'm having trouble working out how to break the quote up, so all my comments ended up inside it.

Bestbird

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Alt-F4 said:
Mullet cuts, missing teeth, shallow end of the gene pool.
\

You would think that most Pies supporters wouldnt know what the word gene means

There probably looking for the "Gene pool" in the suburban road map index

Fogarty

Team Captain
Mar 2, 2003
Victoria
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Murray said:
What a great Thread.

All those people that say they don't care about Collingwood, actually replying to the thread - Ooops

Collingwood is the AFL.

Without Collingwood the AFL would be worse off.

Papers would sell less copies.

News services would have less to report.

BF threads would be reduced by 90%

The fact is you cannot get enough of us.
And the more we give you, the more you want.

Collingwood is opium for the masses.

Collingwood is the AFL. ...Source?

Without Collingwood the AFL would be worse off. ...Show proof.

Papers would sell less copies. ...Saves more trees

News services would have less to report. Then we wouldn't have to listen to Drivel.

BF threads would be reduced by 90% ...That would be fantastic.

The fact is you cannot get enough of us. ...the fact is you have given all you can give and it wasn't much.

And the more we give you, the more you want. ...Not when one is full up to the neck with it.

Collingwood is opium for the masses. ...By the way Pies Fans carry on, I think they have used up the Opium and all the other drugs combined. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back