RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Surprised this hasn’t come up yet. Historically, each VFL club was broadly aligned with either Catholicism or Protestantism, which aligned, broadly with whether they were working class or upper class, and Labor or Liberal. Collingwood were catholic, working class and Labor, and still managed to be the most successful club in the land (by certain measures), and so were despised by Protestant upper class clubs like Melbourne, Carlton and Hawthorn, and Protestant working class clubs like Essendon. All the jibes about toothless supporters and stealing is just class warfare.

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
Surprised this hasn’t come up yet. Historically, each VFL club was broadly aligned with either Catholicism or Protestantism, which aligned, broadly with whether they were working class or upper class, and Labor or Liberal. Collingwood were catholic, working class and Labor, and still managed to be the most successful club in the land (by certain measures), and so were despised by Protestant upper class clubs like Melbourne, Carlton and Hawthorn, and Protestant working class clubs like Essendon. All the jibes about toothless supporters and stealing is just class warfare.

And just to add to this the only other big largely working class catholic club was Richmond. So close in fact were the two in culture and demographic that before the turn of the 19th century a merger was proposed between the two. You think Collingwood is hated now? Just imagine how massive and reviled a Colllngwood/Richmond entity would have become.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t hate the pies, I don’t love the pies. Just like Richmond and Carlton I’m indifferent to them as they are irrelevant.

A Banderas

All Australian
Nov 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I don’t hate the pies, I don’t love the pies. Just like Richmond and Carlton I’m indifferent to them as they are irrelevant.
All 3 are far more relevant than Hawthorn who after a 3 peat not too long ago are playing to empty stadiums and barely make the news. The Hawks will never have the relevance of a Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton or Essendon.

its been that way for 100 years !

Trueblue63

Draftee
Nov 30, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
That's it. :mad:
Ever since I started following footy I've had no idea why every single ********ing person who follows football despises Collingwood.
Why?What have we done to deserve such abuse. What is at Pieland that makes you people think we are unworthy of being treated fairly and with respect. Is it the players? The supporters? It can't be Eddie because we've been hated a long time before he rocked up.
I need a reason. Collingwood needs a reason.
The best 3 reasons I have been given are:
1)Cause I just do
2)Everyone else does
3)Because it's Collingwood
Have we ********ed you off personally or did you just see everyone else bagging us and decided to be a soft-******** follower and jump on the anti-Collingwood bandwagon.
Carlton and Essedon are one thing that's a rivalry. But the others if there is no other reason we'll have to assume it's jealousy. Jealousy for our on and off field success.
Prove me wrong.
I want a reason. Not just they're "********ers" or "tools', fact.
If you can give me that I'll shut up and ******** off.
But if you can't, think twice the next time you go and tag along and give the black and white unwarranted abuse we probably do not deserve.
Most of you will probably call me a sook and say to get over it but think if your team was given this treatment.
I'm sick of always having to defend the team I so passionately support.
********ing sick to death.
I don't like Eddie,I think he tries a lot of under the counter deals to try and get players at his club.I don't really like Buckley to much although I think he is starting to mature a bit,so I don't quite hate him as much as what I used to,but I still don't like him!!! Collywobbles always seem to get a soft draw in the fixtures and how many times do they play at the G regardles of where they finnish on the ladder and how many times do they leave Melbourne and then what do they do when they get a away game? Jump on a plane,circle around Melbourne,land and then play at Marvel Stadium ??? I am from the West and we travel almost every second week and normally that is from one side of the country to the other,that is why I hate Collingwood

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I think Collingwood go to a lot of effort to be hated

Uh no, no they don't. The club couldn't give a flying about who and how many hate them (forget what Eddie says) - they just want success but rarely get it but the majority still hate them.

It's probably that they don't give a s*** about what anyone thinks of them and that the media are all over the tea lady spilling milk in the board room at the Holden centre rather than the foiled terrorist attack at a primary school.

Opposition Supporters,
Should actually be laughing at the pies due to there lack of success the last 50 or so years,And not to mention failures.
Perhaps the hate has been installed re previous generations and passed on?
Do I hate Richmond I ask myself?
Yes but that's more to do with jealousy and envy of there on field success especially the last 3 years.
For the same reason I was jealous of the mighty West Indian cricket teams jealousy and envy.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because Collingwood is like the piece of s**t stuck to the bottom of your shoe. Most people hate it, but there’s a select special few that enjoying waking around with the lingering smell s**t following them.

Given you post 18 times in 18 months, you waste your monthly effort with this dribble.

Sad.

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
And just to add to this the only other big largely working class catholic club was Richmond. So close in fact were the two in culture and demographic that before the turn of the 19th century a merger was proposed between the two. You think Collingwood is hated now? Just imagine how massive and reviled a Colllngwood/Richmond entity would have become.
Haha very true. And as well as all the reasons I mentioned why other clubs hated Collingwood, of course Richmond and Collingwood hated each other because of their similarities, and the competitiveness that brought. My grandparents grew up in Richmond and Collingwood respectively and used to tell me how you knew who people supported by which side of Vic Pde they walked on, and they’d throw stones at each other haha

JerryRapidRiser

Debutant
Oct 27, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
All you Vics are on a cycle of unpleasantness. You guys just don't know how to win with any grace. You want to smash it in people's faces so everyone else just hates you. You call it sour grapes but it's just interesting that no one hates Sydney or West Coast after their wins. Because you all just assume you need to rub it in whilst you can otherwise you'll lose your opportunity. Doesn't seem to apply to any other team. Collingwood are just the default whenever there isn't a successful Vic team. Hawthorn took over during their success - Bulldogs were insufferable, then Richmond. Carlton and Essendon just itching to be the next campaigners.

Why don't interstate fans act like 12 year olds? Sounds like a study that could easily correlate to penis size.

A Banderas

All Australian
Nov 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
A nice summary many years after the OP.

Collingwood is just...the team for simple people. The dumbest, most bogan person in every social circle or clique of people is inevitably a Collingwood supporter.
at least they are not carlton though

Franc de Borges

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 5, 2010
Behind Sunglasses
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Australia
All you Vics are on a cycle of unpleasantness. You guys just don't know how to win with any grace. You want to smash it in people's faces so everyone else just hates you. You call it sour grapes but it's just interesting that no one hates Sydney or West Coast after their wins. Because you all just assume you need to rub it in whilst you can otherwise you'll lose your opportunity. Doesn't seem to apply to any other team. Collingwood are just the default whenever there isn't a successful Vic team. Hawthorn took over during their success - Bulldogs were insufferable, then Richmond. Carlton and Essendon just itching to be the next campaigners.

Why don't interstate fans act like 12 year olds? Sounds like a study that could easily correlate to penis size.

Because there’s 9 opposition teams in the state. You have one. Most people you know probably barrack for your team.

JerryRapidRiser

Debutant
Oct 27, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Because there’s 9 opposition teams in the state. You have one. Most people you know probably barrack for your team.

No it's dipshits online that make their club and supporters hated. In real life people are generally too timid to be complete dicks about it (outside of drunk bogans).

Online should mean geography means dick.

Franc de Borges

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 5, 2010
Behind Sunglasses
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Australia
No it's dipshits online that make their club and supporters hated. In real life people are generally too timid to be complete dicks about it (outside of drunk bogans).

Online should mean geography means dick.

Most people don’t know that BigFooty exists so this isn’t the reason.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC

The biggest and most inane shitfights on this forum are between Adelaide and Port supporters so yeah nah.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Collingwood is just...the team for simple people. The dumbest, most bogan person in every social circle or clique of people is inevitably a Collingwood supporter.

They must only let their best and brightest on here then because I reckon they are one of the best supporter bases on this site. And they're easily the best out of the Victorian clubs (though the Dogs bf fans seem pretty good too).

Back