Why are the pies hated so much?

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
All you Vics are on a cycle of unpleasantness. You guys just don't know how to win with any grace. You want to smash it in people's faces so everyone else just hates you. You call it sour grapes but it's just interesting that no one hates Sydney or West Coast after their wins. Because you all just assume you need to rub it in whilst you can otherwise you'll lose your opportunity. Doesn't seem to apply to any other team. Collingwood are just the default whenever there isn't a successful Vic team. Hawthorn took over during their success - Bulldogs were insufferable, then Richmond. Carlton and Essendon just itching to be the next campaigners.

Why don't interstate fans act like 12 year olds? Sounds like a study that could easily correlate to penis size.
Lol Tex Walker

KnaveyBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2003
57 Mt. Pleasant Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
They must only let their best and brightest on here then because I reckon they are one of the best supporter bases on this site. And they're easily the best out of the Victorian clubs (though the Dogs bf fans seem pretty good too).
Have to admit this is correct. Pies supporter are 10x better on here than they are in real life.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
I don't mind the pies, got a lot of respect for them.
Pretty much all of their main local rivals I despise.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Uh let me give you an epiphany, it's not the club that's hated. It's the phukwit fans.

After nearly 4 decades in the wilderness the tig fans come out and gloat like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

If you get over yourselves it'll go along way to Richmond being a liked club again - zero to do with the clubs performance.

Did not see the dogs fans gloating like tigs have been, or hawks, cats, swans. i won't even mention WC because they were the most gracious winning supporter base of the whole lot.

Not even Pies fans gloated like your lot after 2010. Yet Collingwood is arguably is STILL more hated than your mob (and the whole comp) and arguably not because of our fans.
I would argue against this for the most part. My example of collingwood fans is exactly as you described Richmond fans. Not saying Richmond doesn't have fans like that, just trying to point out that every club has those supporters, and clubs as supported as the pies or Tiges are going to have a more noticeable fraction act that way. Especially after being s**t for so long and the ridicule we got flung at us for decades.

The most disgusting, over the line, vile and once violent exchanges I have ever had have been exclusively collingwood supporters. I've been unlucky enough to have every negative face to face experience with a football fan be a pies supporter but I've never let that influence my opinion on the club because what do the fans have to do with the clubs they love? ******* nothing. I don't like the pies purely because of malthouse and Eddie. Half of that is gone, and I dislike the pies half as much as I used to.

One thing I don't think oppo supporters understand (and I'm not defending the realllll dickheads) is just how much we copped for 30 years, and how much that has influenced our reactions now. If we didn't get kicked while down again and again then maybe our vocal minority would be more gracious in victory. Not trying to blame others for the actions of our shitty aspects, but to ignore the cause and effect of it all would be to ignore a vital puzzle piece in the mosaic of the black comedy that is being a Tiges supporter.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
All you Vics are on a cycle of unpleasantness. You guys just don't know how to win with any grace. You want to smash it in people's faces so everyone else just hates you. You call it sour grapes but it's just interesting that no one hates Sydney or West Coast after their wins. Because you all just assume you need to rub it in whilst you can otherwise you'll lose your opportunity. Doesn't seem to apply to any other team. Collingwood are just the default whenever there isn't a successful Vic team. Hawthorn took over during their success - Bulldogs were insufferable, then Richmond. Carlton and Essendon just itching to be the next campaigners.

Why don't interstate fans act like 12 year olds? Sounds like a study that could easily correlate to penis size.
They do.

How ******* thick is the average person on BF that they can't see these conversations being had on multiple different boards with multiple different viewpoints.

In this thread alone I've read someone saying the dogs were insufferable, then I read someone saying the dogs were great.

I read WC were the most gracious, then on another board that they are horrible in victory.

Someone mentions how interstate supporters don't act like this, another board someone says why do they always act like this.

*. It's almost like we are all pieces of s**t with vastly different life experiences and views on oppo supporter bases.

No one ******* represents an entire supporter base and no supporter base is an accurate representation of an individual within it.

Seriously, next time anyone goes to post collingwood fans always...... Or WC fans are so....... Just remember that only the worst of the worst care enough to come and post on BigFooty, and maybe the 2 people I didn't like in a thread don't represent the whole supporterbase I am about to make a broad generalisation about.

These back and forths always seem to happen among the same people too, so it doesn't even seem like a lot of you are dealing with a sample size large enough to draw any meaningful conclusion over.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
You guys are so full of yourselves.Being a Pies person we are hated so much because we are the BIGGEST club in the land,Without collingwood there is no AFL.
We are not like all the interstate clubs who are 2 team towns.Big fish in small ponds. Or clubs who need hand outs to survive
Did you just *literally* bump a 14-year-old thread to drink your own bathwater?

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
No it's not because of geography,it's a typical way of which you collywobbles think.You need to read it again and think about it for awhile.

Right....? The post I replied to stated that the hate is a result of travelling every 2nd week - has zero to do with "Collywobble" thinking or your mistaken thought that I can't read or the no need to think about for a while.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I would argue against this for the most part. My example of collingwood fans is exactly as you described Richmond fans. Not saying Richmond doesn't have fans like that, just trying to point out that every club has those supporters, and clubs as supported as the pies or Tiges are going to have a more noticeable fraction act that way. Especially after being s**t for so long and the ridicule we got flung at us for decades.

The most disgusting, over the line, vile and once violent exchanges I have ever had have been exclusively collingwood supporters. I've been unlucky enough to have every negative face to face experience with a football fan be a pies supporter but I've never let that influence my opinion on the club because what do the fans have to do with the clubs they love? ******* nothing. I don't like the pies purely because of malthouse and Eddie. Half of that is gone, and I dislike the pies half as much as I used to.

One thing I don't think oppo supporters understand (and I'm not defending the realllll dickheads) is just how much we copped for 30 years, and how much that has influenced our reactions now. If we didn't get kicked while down again and again then maybe our vocal minority would be more gracious in victory. Not trying to blame others for the actions of our shitty aspects, but to ignore the cause and effect of it all would be to ignore a vital puzzle piece in the mosaic of the black comedy that is being a Tiges supporter.

Just to be clear I wasn't labeling all tiger fans, just the small vocal dichhead minority. I'm 50 yo, been around for a long long time - never have I seen the embarrassing gloating coming from that small bunch of w******.

It's like the tigs have never had success of any kind such is the narrow minded self delusion "we are the biggest and best of all time no if's but's or maybes" attitude that is a stain for your club and for the game itself.

Just to be clear, I'm not for one second denying our own lot of flogs just as embarrassing. One poster in this thread suggested that the AFL wouldn't exist without Collingwood.

Pffft! Never have I heard such self absorbed drivel, still not sure if that poster was serious in intent or not.

Even given that, never ever have I experienced the amount of self delusion coming a small bunch of flogs. Not even our mob gloated that much after the droughts in 90 and 10 and we're talking about Pie fans. That is telling!

No one gives a flying about your drought, I'm a Pie fan - no one knows more about drought and disappointment than a Pie fan.

Again I'm only pointing out the embarrassing few, need to take a leaf out of WC fans book - very very gracious in victory after their premiership.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
They do.

How ******* thick is the average person on BF that they can't see these conversations being had on multiple different boards with multiple different viewpoints.

In this thread alone I've read someone saying the dogs were insufferable, then I read someone saying the dogs were great.

I read WC were the most gracious, then on another board that they are horrible in victory.

Someone mentions how interstate supporters don't act like this, another board someone says why do they always act like this.

fu**. It's almost like we are all pieces of s**t with vastly different life experiences and views on oppo supporter bases.

No one ******* represents an entire supporter base and no supporter base is an accurate representation of an individual within it.

Seriously, next time anyone goes to post collingwood fans always...... Or WC fans are so....... Just remember that only the worst of the worst care enough to come and post on BigFooty, and maybe the 2 people I didn't like in a thread don't represent the whole supporterbase I am about to make a broad generalisation about.

These back and forths always seem to happen among the same people too, so it doesn't even seem like a lot of you are dealing with a sample size large enough to draw any meaningful conclusion over.

I've said numerous times I hate the real nasty 'stirring' other club supporters because its childish & pointless. I have retaliated a little at times when it gets just too much. A bit of ribbing at times is fun, but too many just get nasty & carried away.

When copping shyte after a game or a final loss, its amazing how many people will take a shot. Yet the same ones get nasty if anyone returns serve when the boot is on the other foot.

Why can't they just support their own club?

ROYAL EAGLE

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
As a WCE fan I know the majority of us have nothing but respect for Collingwood and there fans.

The way most Collingwood fans acted after they lost the GF to us only reinforced that opinion.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
As a WCE fan I know the majority of us have nothing but respect for Collingwood and there fans.

The way most Collingwood fans acted after they lost the GF to us only reinforced that opinion.

Funny part in all this is how you guys would have reacted if you had lost.

My guess, the cries about the AFL grand final being played at the G would have been quite loud and sooky.

Last edited:

JerryRapidRiser

Debutant
Oct 27, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
They do.

fu**. It's almost like we are all pieces of s**t with vastly different life experiences and views on oppo supporter bases.

Imagine all that effort to make no sense AND show off your primary level public education.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
If you told a casual that the Pies have won two flags in 60 years, the reaction would be one of shock.

The question is why? Why is there so much hate, support all the end of all the spectrum around this club?

It is ludicrous, for a club devoid of success for so long it's hard to contemplate all the noise around such a mediocre club.

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
I can tell you one historical reason why Collingwood hates Carlton. Back before there was a proper sewerage system in Melbourne, and the sandman collected people's s**t in a cart, via the lanes behind houses, the refuse from Carlton literally flowed downhill into Collingwood, which summed up the social position of the two suburbs and their inhabitants.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
The question is why? Why is there so much hate, support all the end of all the spectrum around this club?

It is ludicrous, for a club devoid of success for so long it's hard to contemplate all the noise around such a mediocre club.
I think the hate has faded

Pies aren't that interesting

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Is there a petition in ths somewhere? How did the last one go.... never found out in relation to GF 2018?

catscratchfever

Captain Goodvibes
Aug 16, 2008
The Edge Of Reality
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Space Cadets
In terms of pure hatred Collingwood is a fair way down the list for me. 2-7 can vary from season to season but #1 never changes.

1. Hawthorn
2. Essendon
3. Richmond
4. Carlton
5. West Coast
6. Adelaide
7. Collingwood
8. everyone else

Bluey Shelton

Debutant
Nov 12, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m a one eyed Essendon supporter but I respect Collingwood and enjoy watching them play. Geelong on the other hand is a different story!!!!

Back