Why are toffs always such bloody cheapskates?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺

Melbourne are demanding volunteers work up to 25 hours a week for 11 months without a scrap of compensation. I don't really give a s**t that the pathetic state of today's modern economy has rendered "internships" (better known as indentured servitude or corporate slavery) a mainstream practice and would love to see the government penalize these scumbags with the full force of the law.

No I don't care what the Dees' financial situation is like either, they're a large company -AFL clubs exist to make profit despite paying no taxes- with a turnover of $50m+ who have absolutely no business extracting free labor from anyone.

Disgusting behavior from a club who should know better. :thumbsdown:

Oct 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney

Melbourne are demanding volunteers work up to 25 hours a week for 11 months without a scrap of compensation. I don't really give a sh*t that the pathetic state of today's modern economy has rendered "internships" (better known as indentured servitude or corporate slavery) a mainstream practice and would love to see the government penalize these scumbags with the full force of the law.

No I don't care what the Dees' financial situation is like either, they're a large company -AFL clubs exist to make profit despite paying no taxes- with a turnover of $50m+ who have absolutely no business extracting free labor from anyone.

Disgusting behavior from a club who should know better. :thumbsdown:

Genuinely think this shouldn't be a bay13 thread
Unpaid internships are pathetic, and a blight on modern workplaces.

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Genuinely think this shouldn't be a bay13 thread
Unpaid internships are pathetic, and a blight on modern workplaces.
Damn straight. Melbourne are hardly acting on their own here but it sets an extremely shitty precedent and I'd hate to see other clubs follow.

Watching big organizations rake in millions while paying workers a pittance & sacking them in years they make a profit just to hit projections to please shareholders is bad enough, but knowing the government allows them to exploit loopholes in the labor laws so they can have a continuous rotation of unpaid labor makes my blood boil. Just the other day a mate was saying how the Nike swoosh & Mazda's Zoom Zoom were both the work of interns who received zero compensation despite these devices making their companies billions, so yeah I can understand the temptation of AFL clubs to jump the gravy train but the league needs to flat out ban the use of interns in football departments before it becomes the norm.

Screw Melbourne, I'm glad they'll cop and endless stream of negative press over this because they flat out deserve it. Bunch of w***ers.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Typical of the entitlement in AFL football these days. Remember that even with their fans experiencing mass unemployment during a pandemic, the AFL rattled the tins and asked them to pay for non existent memberships this year. We shouldn't be surprised they want free labour as well.

They do get a stipend paid entirely in trout pate.
Seems fair enough, I'm sure most of the volunteers would be trust fund kids and society wives anyway.

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺

Melbourne has apologized for their ad being "poorly worded". Yeah. Right.

In other words the pricks are disappointed they couldn't recruit slave labor on the sly without anyone noticing and think they would've got away with it if not for these pesky kids uhh I mean if they had've worded the ads differently. Bunch of unrepentent amoral shitheels, particularly Gary Pert who's an a-hole.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
I'd sign up if I had the time and it wasn't a black hole of a club.

Would be pretty ironic if you were a staff member at Melbourne and you were being managed for under-performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, quite right, down with the blasted rotters, what?! ;)

I say, the sarcasm in this thread is most diverting. I too remember when a good day at work was just one where you didn't get a back-hander to the chops... or give the 'hairy chap a special kiss', if you know what I mean. No, couldn't agree more - the entitlement of children today is simply breathtaking.

I say, the sarcasm in this thread is most diverting. I too remember when a good day at work was just one where you didn't get a back-hander to the chops... or give the 'hairy chap a special kiss', if you know what I mean. No, couldn't agree more - the entitlement of children today is simply breathtaking.
Yeah, being a kindergarden teacher is tough

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
What utter filth

D76CB3DD-C0DB-4284-A704-66BA69A36BB8.jpeg

Melbourne has apologized for their ad being "poorly worded". Yeah. Right.

In other words the pricks are disappointed they couldn't recruit slave labor on the sly without anyone noticing and think they would've got away with it if not for these pesky kids uhh I mean if they had've worded the ads differently. Bunch of unrepentent amoral shitheels, particularly Gary Pert who's an a-hole.
You'll be happy to know that our volunteer Human Resources Manager has been stood down for this error.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
You'll be happy to know that our volunteer Human Resources Manager has been stood down for this error.
Please understand I'm not going hard at Melbourne specifically but rather the entire despicable 21st century business culture this ad represents. For all we know other AFL clubs are getting away with worse because they aren't dumb enough to publicly mention the salary & all the details.

....I will however from this point refer to Melbourne as the George Calombaris of the AFL, a man who's served a platter or two in his time.

img

Please understand I'm not going hard at Melbourne specifically but rather the entire despicable 21st century business culture this ad represents. For all we know other AFL clubs are getting away with worse because they aren't dumb enough to publicly mention the salary & all the details.

....I will however from this point refer to Melbourne as the George Calombaris of the AFL, a man who's served a platter or two in his time.

img
Yeah I know man.
I was just trying to be funny.
I really can't defend this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back