Why are we not able to put teams away?

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
Melbourne has just pumped Carlton by 109 points to leapfrog everyone with the same wins, to 3rd.

Makes me wonder, why are the Pies not capable of putting teams to be bed and smash them?

We haven’t won a game by more than 9 goals since 2016. In 2016, we beat GCS and the Lions by more, but other than that, it has been a real rare occurance in recent years.

Melbourne are in form and playing a Carlton side who probably spent all week partying after their first win of the year. When we played Carlton we were in struggle street and had to dig deep, so I don’t think the two are really comparable. With that said I agree with the premise, it’s pretty frustrating not being able to notch up big wins at least a couple of times a year. I’m glad we’re beating the teams we ‘should beat’ for the first time in a while - which is what ultimately matters - but comprehensively thrashing a side now and then is fun.

I reckon if we were able to have a full fit side out there week in and week out might make a difference. With all the injuries we have we have to play fringe players like Mayne, who is servicable I suppose but just doesn't add anything to the side, I could also add players like Blair, Crocker, and the inexperience of Shaz, Murray, Appleby, Stephenson and the like,you need all your classy players out there to be able to gel and gain confidence in each other, I can just imagine when these young players have played 75 plus games each we will be quite exciting to watch

IF we are carrying a number of sore/exhausted players then 'just doing enough' is understandable - but not defensible as it's not like there are not fit replacements running around in the magoos.

In that case it comes down to player management / selection.

Unable to maintain intensity for a whole match.

Intensity substituting for class too often.

That's a good question,and i don't really have an answer.Are the players a bit lazy,complacent?Do they relax when they have a match winning lead?A good example of this was last night.Early in the the last quarter WHE missed an absolute sitter from right in front which would have put us almost 6 goals up.I had a feeling that if he had kicked that goal we would have broken St Kilda and run away from them.But after that miss the players went into their shells and just tried to sit on their lead for the rest of the quarter.It's fairly typical of the way we play when we get a good lead,unfortunately.

Melbourne has just pumped Carlton by 109 points to leapfrog everyone with the same wins, to 3rd.

Makes me wonder, why are the Pies not capable of putting teams to be bed and smash them?

We haven’t won a game by more than 9 goals since 2016. In 2016, we beat GCS and the Lions by more, but other than that, it has been a real rare occurance in recent years.
When we dominate, we dominate out damage on the scoreboard because we burn the ball by foot and turn it over.

All valid points and one that stands out for me is that we are more intensity than class and intensity cannot be maintained for 4 quarters.

In saying that, I’d hate to finish 9th or 10th on percentage come Round 23.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t get put away either.

Seriously though, last year we would have lost last night. This year we are able to do enough and ice the game. Definite improvement.

I think this year we would should have had quite a potent forward line, but injuries have absolutely killed us up forward.
Elliot, Fasolo, Moore, Broomhead, Kirby have all been sorely missed this year. All these guys are capable natural forwards. It would have been good to see Broomy and Kirby to have better opportunities to prove their worth in the absence of others, but are injured. I admit Fasolo has struggled to break into team, but is now unavailable.

Other missing guys in Reid & Goldsack who I think are not natural forwards have proven they can effectively swing if required.

We've had a bit of a makeshift foward line this year with a lot of midfielders rotating through, a couple of rookie types, plus the 'experiment' Cox.

Injuries to decent forwards: I think this is one reason we haven't been able to put away lesser sides.

Don't think it's been too bad. Had back to back near 50 point wins against Essendon and Adelaide. Percentage taken a hit from the score blowing out against Richmond in the last, and Brisbane kicking a huge score in a tight win.

Look at Melbourne a month ago. They were shizenhausen but they managed to keep it all together and are playing good footy. Not having too many injuries helps also.

If we can get some of our players back from injury I think we will be there. Need to be consistent.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We tend to arse our goals with swarming midfielders. When midfielders tire, our scoring drops away. We lack a couple of genuine, big, reliable targets that can go to... ie Melbourne had McDonald and Hogan today.

We don’t get put away either.

Seriously though, last year we would have lost last night. This year we are able to do enough and ice the game. Definite improvement.
Agree with that, we would have blown that game last night but next week is as defining game for us as there will be all year.
This is it for me, This is our chance to build some momentum from a half decent start to the year, against a team that has been inconsistent at best.
Win and we step into a run of 2 or 3 games that are very winnable and your cementing a top 8 spot.
Lose and it's a real momentum killer and could be the beginning of an 'almost' season.
The Doggies are a tougher proposition than St Kilda and I hope and pray it's not one of those games that got away from us.

We're a young side learning to WIN games. Lets see what the latter part of the year looks like (if we ever get continuity with a settled side)
Are we really that young?

Last few weeks tells me we’re not where I’d hoped we’d be, which is between 5th and 8th. Right now, on current form, we will struggle to make the 8. Hopefully with a few important players coming back in the next month, we can peak towards the latter end of the season and ride some momentum into September.

Prob because we aren’t that good and we aren’t a top 4 team.

Oh and we also kick 5.15 or 14.17 against Essendon which should’ve been a bigger win.

60-100pt wins don’t just happen. Let’s just be happy we are winning games and worry about the margins later when we become a good and genuinely consistent team.

Looking at our draw I thought there was a chance we might have only won 2-3 games to this point. So to be 5-4 is a great effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back