Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

But if we're talking hypotheticals... by staying at Windy Hill I meant that they somehow managed to find a way to upgrade the facilities (and keep everyone happy) and stay there

But the reality was it was never possible, the terms of the lease mean we can't evict the Bowls, Cricket or Croquet Clubs, and while they're there it was never viable to upgrade the site. Even then it's limited size-wise compared to the Tullamarine location.

And under those circumstances would we have been better off considering the culture associated with the location.

Not really. Carlton have been even worse than us since 2000 and they've never left their cultural home behind.

Does anyone talk about the other team that have moved regarding their new home bases feeling souless?

Probably because they haven't simply been s**t. If we were good we'd all hear about the first class facilities being a reason for it.

Can't score and can't defend.

This Is Fine GIF

Part of why we are s**t because we defend poorly.
Letting the ball get past you as a defender is not good.
Just because your opponent hasn't marked it is not enough.
You need to spoil the ball forward. Halt the ball continuing towards their goal.
The ball gets behind the contest every time.
That is a s**t defense but i feel that our backs are happy to run under the ball so long as they have taken their opponent with them. Nevermind the footy still moving toward the opposition goal.
Stop doing that.

We have been missing 150 goals from last season and when you consider two of our best pressure mids combined with fielding one of the three least experienced teams games wise this season it should come as no surprise where we sit …

6F2B6032-E251-432A-9A21-531568E8A3EC.jpeg

Now we get to have a guessing game as to who's alt this is.

I'm thinking Jade.
No one's alt, sir. I am simply a concerned Bombers supporter with severe doubts over how the club is managed. I believe it is this toxicity within HQ that is driving the poor results on the field. Best, Fart Pants

Two huge differences from previous months of footy for me.

Forward pressure from all 6 - 8 that have roamed through there. Even 2MP runs and harasses. As has Stringer getting km's into the legs. Having better runners in Guelfi and Ham has opened up space for Wright and Jones. Even Draper got on the end of two last night.

The other follows on from the point above and I touched on in the review thread but the work rate from those front half smalls was huge for the team. We looked so much better with Ham, Guelfi and Hobbs at times there in lieu of Devon Smith and a resting mid.

With Snelling an upgrade onHam on the horizon, we could potentially get stronger in this section of the ground. Langford to return as another marking option across half forward.

And im not sure if it's been touched on but did we go more man on man last night than zone defence in recent weeks? Seemed to hold the ball in better than previously.

Two huge differences from previous months of footy for me.

Forward pressure from all 6 - 8 that have roamed through there. Even 2MP runs and harasses. As has Stringer getting km's into the legs. Having better runners in Guelfi and Ham has opened up space for Wright and Jones. Even Draper got on the end of two last night.

The other follows on from the point above and I touched on in the review thread but the work rate from those front half smalls was huge for the team. We looked so much better with Ham, Guelfi and Hobbs at times there in lieu of Devon Smith and a resting mid.

With Snelling an upgrade onHam on the horizon, we could potentially get stronger in this section of the ground. Langford to return as another marking option across half forward.

And im not sure if it's been touched on but did we go more man on man last night than zone defence in recent weeks? Seemed to hold the ball in better than previously.
I think the pressure in the front half was just better. No one plays man on man. It breaks down more than zone as there is nothing in place to mop up any break downs in the defending. Midfield defended better and we had a lot more tackles inside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but hypothetically knowing what you know now.

Would you move us to Marvel in 1999?
In 1999 I was dead against it. The club thought we'd be a powerhouse forever and be able to sell out 7 games a year with a boutique stadium for the most supported club in the state who were perennial finalists.

It was a dumb arrogant move cause those 40k-70k games would still have room for unaligned supporters to eventually become bomber fans.

For me it isn't just about making us weaker performers on the G, it has stunted our growth. We were the biggest sporting club in Australia judged by live viewers and membership takings.

Team defence works better when the back part of the defence sets up better - Reckon we only conceded two goals from our defensive fifty - This helps with the effort factor.

win not surprising given that we really only ever win when there is no expectation on us to win

when there is expectation, we fold.

2018 - expectations were high after landing Stringer, Saad and Smith. 2-7 (?) and then came home like a train once the expectation had dissipated
2019 - expectactions high. s**t the bed round 1 against the Giants, and never quite recovered. made finals but it was reasonably hollow i thought.
2020 - bit of a write off with covid.
2021 - no expectation after being poo the year before, some great performances, playing free as a bird
2022 - plenty of expectaction. now i wasn't on the Mick Malthouse train, but i was confident of making finals. s**t the bed in round 1 and haven't recovered since

we are s**t because we cannot and will not perform when there is an expectation to perform

to be a good side, we need to embrace the expectation, and deliver and perform to a high standard.

every team can win some games and get some upsets when they are expected to lose. i want to see how we respond when expectactions are higher.

Let's be honest, St Kilda's pressure for much of the night wasn't good. That helps a lot for a team that's prone to shocking turnovers that sends the ball coming back to our defence at a million miles an hour.

Our pressure was better though, so a tick for that. Starting to get a bit of reward for effort and some front-half pressure players back on the ground means we can see a lot more of how the coaches are trying to get the team to play. Similar to the VFL side now having something resembling an actual structure means the gameplan starts to be visible.

win not surprising given that we really only ever win when there is no expectation on us to win

when there is expectation, we fold.

2018 - expectations were high after landing Stringer, Saad and Smith. 2-7 (?) and then came home like a train once the expectation had dissipated
2019 - expectactions high. s**t the bed round 1 against the Giants, and never quite recovered. made finals but it was reasonably hollow i thought.
2020 - bit of a write off with covid.
2021 - no expectation after being poo the year before, some great performances, playing free as a bird
2022 - plenty of expectaction. now i wasn't on the Mick Malthouse train, but i was confident of making finals. s**t the bed in round 1 and haven't recovered since

we are s**t because we cannot and will not perform when there is an expectation to perform

to be a good side, we need to embrace the expectation, and deliver and perform to a high standard.

every team can win some games and get some upsets when they are expected to lose. i want to see how we respond when expectactions are higher.

I personally think more correlation than causation.

2018/19 we simply weren't that good. Worst of all we had a totally incompetent coaching group. Let's not even start on what happened when Worsfold attempted to change the structure and invent that new role for Neeld. Christ.

2021 we got in place a much better coaching panel, and were boosted by an easy draw and a fairly good run with injuries to mature players.

2022 we are back down to earth with a tougher draw and injuries to important senior players, which has exposed our kids too early. Give us an uninterrupted year of Snelling, Langford, Merrett, Parish, 2021 Stringer, Tipungwuti, not to mention the loss of Hooker, and we'd be several games improved on where we are imo, and probably a lot closer to 2021.

We are starting to get some of them back and match fit and it's no surprise we're getting better results.

I don’t necessarily disagree with what you’re saying

However, I do feel strongly there is a link between high expectations - poor performance

You could waaaay back further than 2018 too. I just used the last 5 years as it’s most relevant to our current group.

Let’s see. Some of those players you’ve highlighted have been poor in games/times when we’ve needed them to be good.

I really like guys like Perkins and Hobbs as I think they have leadership potential written all over them, and I haven’t been very impressed with our leaders in recent times.

Clubs genuinely broken. It's not fun watching them anymore, nobody could possibly take any enjoyment out of tonight.

It's our so called anniversary and what's the club do? Dish s**t up on field and announce a review to be conducted by the same people that did the review 2 years ago, oh and they guaranteed jobs before the review occurred.

But, ok, well maybe they'll look after the members off field?

Nope, instead they throw a $495 a head party that no average Joe could possibly hope to attend with the costs of everything else the way they are or if you're a member you can pay an extra $150 on top of your inflated membership to be considered worthy of the clubs recognition.

It's a ******* s**t show and it'll be the same response as always, "shut up and keep giving us money."

Clubs genuinely broken. It's not fun watching them anymore, nobody could possibly take any enjoyment out of tonight.

It's our so called anniversary and what's the club do? Dish s**t up on field and announce a review to be conducted by the same people that did the review 2 years ago, oh and they guaranteed jobs before the review occurred.

But, ok, well maybe they'll look after the members off field?

Nope, instead they throw a $495 a head party that no average Joe could possibly hope to attend with the costs of everything else the way they are or if you're a member you can pay an extra $150 on top of your inflated membership to be considered worthy of the clubs recognition.

It's a ******* s**t show and it'll be the same response as always, "shut up and keep giving us money."

Whats most frustrating is the disconnect between what the club says, what the club does, and what the supporters see and observe.

I think we're supposed to forget about it

Best case scenario they say 'hey the AFL gave us half a million bucks added to the soft-cap, so here's a bit more funding for the player development and fitness departments, woo!'

Does the club need to spend more money, maybe it does however if I read you right about the women's program operating on about half a million dollars then money alone isn't going to fix Essendon's men's program.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back