Strategy Why are we so reluctant to play Reid forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins and Membrey average two a game, the same as Reid averaged in 2013 when he spent the last 10 games of the season as a forward.

He kicked 22 goals in those games and Collingwood scored a healthy 46 per cent of the time when targeting Reid, compared with 39 per cent of Travis Cloke.
As it stands this season the Pies have generated a goal just 18.5 per cent of the times they have gone inside 50m, not surprisingly the worst percentage in the competition.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/fa6791e711ec7001a242cc5b1a160cdb

Dunn wont do that ^^. Reid scored in 10 games (some partial games too) what Dunn did in a full season of games...and on top brought the whole forward line with him.

46% fwd conversion rate as Reid as the main man vs 39% with Cloke and 18% with Moore.
The only question I have is this -: Is Reis still capable of performing at that leve/ He just seems slower and his turning circle seems wider but it's worth a try

The only question I have is this -: Is Reis still capable of performing at that leve/ He just seems slower and his turning circle seems wider but it's worth a try

Coming off preseason PCL surgery.

Has been getting better each week, 5th AFL game in I think he will be fine, it shouldn't be a 1 game then throw it in the bin give him a few weeks to consolidate. We are after all 1- 3 with the "1" being a 1 point win vs a depleted and inexperienced team.

The bombers aren't travelling to well either atm so we are genuine chance of winning but going fwd we HAVE to change things up.

Coming off preseason PCL surgery.

Has been getting better each week, 5th AFL game in I think he will be fine, it shouldn't be a 1 game then throw it in the bin give him a few weeks to consolidate. We are after all 1- 3 with the "1" being a 1 point win vs a depleted and inexperienced team.

The bombers aren't travelling to well either atm so we are genuine chance of winning but going fwd we HAVE to change things up.
I'm not knocking the idea...and there aren't many other options.

I can see it now....

Lynden Dunn earns his place by getting 31 possessions playing as a full back at VFL level, and is brought into the team to play full forward.

For what it's worth though, it might be worth a shot! The one thing he proved on the weekend is that he has great voice out there and is a leader. Maybe our forward line simply needs someone like that...especially since he also has nice skills.

I am sure he did it in the goal square at Full Forward.......pinged it on his first lead!

It was at my end of the ground.....same game Beams got injured and we got pumped!!!

I was sure he played forward that night mike123 but happy to be corrected!

What about all the other soft tissue injuries he has had as a defender Quads, Calfs etc Heck even had PCL surgery this off season playing as a defender.

If you are going to get injured you will do it no matter where you play on an AFL field. There is no where to hide at AFL level these days.

I pretty much agree the question is who goes out for Dunn? Realistically he has to replace Goldsack or Schade if he is going to be in the back 6, otherwise we'll get torched by smaller fwd lines

We already get torched by good small forwards. Probably Ramsay goes out and Goldsack plays on a small

He's not the coach. He can say "no" all he likes, he doesn't make the decision.

True.

However, as with all things that come out of the Collingwood captain's mouth at a media conference, you would think that there's an element of delivering/toeing the party line...

Sorry if this has been mentioned in this thread before but Pendles essentially immediately shut down any suggestion of Reid or Howe moving to the forward line.

"Can you see any merit in moving a Ben Reid or a Jeremy Howe to the forward line?"
"No. No. Down back."

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2017-04-18/raw-pendlebury-forecasts-anzac-day
Just on this.
As I mentioned a while ago I had a good chat to Billy prior to the trading period and when asked who the hell will be lending Darcy a hand up forward now that it looks Clokey is gone he was adamant it won't be Reid as he is too good down the back.
And I would totally agree with that if we found someone else to replace Clokey with but we didn't.

We brought in Dunn as a defender, worked out that having Cox in the side without dropping other talls makes us too cumbersome, got pleasantly surprised by Shade's ability to hold his own, been watching Howe killing it while Darcy struggles big time.
Yet Reid remains in the backline.......

I'd say this is one of the examples of our coach being "strong willed" that Ben Heart spoke about.

It's just deflection IMO. He doesn't want to get into it with the media.
I've been wanting Reid to play forward for too long, disappointed too many times, for me to think it's just deflection. I think it's a strong indication that he won't be playing forward any time soon, but I would love to be wrong. We shall see in a few days time, anyhow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I'm not against the idea of Reid being given opportunity up forward I think we need to temper our expectations as it was 2013 when he had a brief period of dominance as a forward.

If memory serves he was again used up forward in 2014/2015 (albeit after missing most of the season) with minimal success with 4 goals in round 19 of 2015 the one exception.

Dunn is someone who played a lot football as a forward at Melbourne and while no star in that role plays the game in a physical nature both with body and voice and has excellent kicking ability.

He might well be a viable option short term if we don't want to rob our defence of Reid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back