Analysis Why are we so successful?

Remove this Banner Ad

To answer the OP's question, I humbly state the simple answer is because I barrack for Hawthorn. I do have high expectations though, which are met with not as much frequency as I'd like but enough frequency to satisfy.

For me, the answer to the OP has everything to do with John Kennedy.

He brought many philosophies to the club that still survive, but perhaps the most simple, and rare across the AFL, is an absolute and uncompromising belief in the value of putting the team before the individual.

Last edited:
It was started by the John Kennedy principles: "team first, team first and always nothing but team first".
And never give up in the pursuit of team success.

Inherited and followed by Alan Jeans and Clarko.

John Kennedy is the greatest football person ever - a living legend.
This....

And perhaps also because Kennedy’s influence happened around the early 60’s which is relatively recent compared to other club “dynasties” and that culture has been able to continually sustained and implemented over the past 70 years.

For me, the answer to the OP has everything to do with John Kennedy.

He brought many philosophies to the club that still survive, but perhaps the most simple, and rare across the AFL, is an absolute and uncompromising belief in the value of putting the team before the individual.
This.

You only had to hear him talk about the 2012 GF where he said he wanted his grandson to be the best player on the ground but wanted the Hawks to win.

My Dad grew up Essendon. Swapped to Hawthorn in the 50s because he loved what Kennedy was doing.

Brought his brothers with him and broke my grandfather's heart.

your father needs a statue at Dingley. Anyone that deflects from the scum, and then converts others is almost Hudson like..

Hubris has historically always been the main impediment to continuing success. Let us hope everyone at Hawthorn remembers where we came from and the blood, sweat and tears that were shed in order to achieve our turnaround.
Success is dependent on hard work.
There endeth the lesson.

Agree with the above. The lack of hubris and factionalism within the club has provided a solid foundation for long periods of time.

From 2004 onwards, it's because we aren't sheep.
Whilst some teams develop gameplans to mim8c the leaders, we develop fameplans to beat the leaders.

The media helped with this, they spent so much time.fawning over our opponents, they never n9ticed how good we were

Remove this Banner Ad

Back