Why are you on Bigfooty or the Carlton Board?

Remove this Banner Ad

Relatively new here as well. Came here mainly when Talking Carlton felt like walking in on five guys chatting fireside at their holiday house.

This place has goodwill, I appreciate the humour, and try to add a little, even though I'm not mates with anyone. It is anodyne, I admire the tacticians here and lap up their debate and don't dare to contribute. I'm a psych by profession and coached 3 years of junior footy so I dip my toe in an occasional motivation/personality discussion. It can get a little hohum when it becomes egotistical ("my dad's a fireman" sort of schoolyard talk).

Love a little goss, and the overall passion, optimism, the nostalgia, and sharing occasionally of my slightly crumbling memory of history with Carlton.

And I feel a slightly urgent call to be optimistic for the younger followers here, as I am also father to two sons who follow the blues and that comes with great responsibility and growing burden due to our past shiteness (and held off their mother's maggies despite her family's urging, and they have my eternal gratitude). I was born in '69 and have enjoyed 5 premierships and I desperately want my two sons and everyone here the pure joy that one (or more) brings to your life.

Nothing beyond Carlton, except an occasional glance at NFL and NBA. And like others says the sense of community among fellow tragics....(but I do struggle to rock up after losses).

Go blues!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I was on the Blue View for years, but they were pretty lame and very cliquey, and then it closed! Wandered over to The Carlton Supporters Club and found them to be too insular, not enough members to provide any constructive discourse, and it was full of w***ers (Laj that's you!!), so I officially jumped to BF, the maligned forum according to CSC, and Hanwell became Dirty Leeds, and the rest is history..........
And I thoroughly enjoy the humour, constructive and unconstructive discussions, and the humanity that I unexpectedly found here when I fessed up to my depression and my recent dad's demise, genuine people live here, including Thy!!
take that back.......

I was on CSC for about 3 or 4 years, and that was my introduction to internet forums. There was a link was posted in a Herald Sun article in 2004, where an article was put up about footy communities and they specifically quoted some posts from one poster discussing the draft. Still vividly remember them talking up Heath Grundy and Ruory Kirky (eventually rookie listed at Hawthorn) and had never come across that kind of knowledge from an average punter about future prospects. From there ended up signing up and have always had a passing interest in TAC Cup footy.

The forum was cool, but once you venture over to Bigfooty it's chalk and cheese. The scale of it - the huge number of boards, and for the first time you're mixing with opposition posters. I probably had 5000+ posts on CSC before I was 15, but once I started getting into posting on Bigfooty I shifted over pretty permanently.

Probably spent the first few years mainly on the music forum which was awesome in the late 00's and is a little dead these days. Didn't ever post on here much, but that could be just selective memory. Even when we were going ok in the early 00's there was still a bit of a bad vibe about the club and the losses during that period were bad losses. Picked up posting again at the end of 2015 when Bolton came on board, and enjoyed the process of resetting through the draft. I've always subconsciously been as interested in the list management side of things (probably why I'm so fanatical about Supercoach too), and the strategy we took has always been a tried and tested as the gold standard for building a contending team - it's just taken an eternity to get there.

Tbh I don't pay a lot of attention to the full contents of most threads and just cherrypick snippets of discussions that interest me, much to the dismay of the mod team.

There are definitely some elite thinkers on here who have changed the way I've thought about the club or the game. My old man is a passion Carlton supporter, but he's very old school and players are either guns or duds in his mind; and he's not the most understanding of context and the causes and effects within the sport. Bigfooty was my introduction to some deeper thought about footy and in some threads on other boards about life in general.

Living in the West especially when I got here 20 + years ago the only Carlton news was a little snippet in the West Australian in gameday lift out.

Came across TC and was there for a while then found Big Footy and was lurking for a long time loved the Bay 13,Main board and of course people talking about us in here.
Started chatting,venting etc in gameday threads once we became a better team in 2009 making the finals after 7 years in the wilderness.

Love it in here the different views everyone has on all topics from Carlton,footy,politics,movies,sport etc plus its a great outlet from day to day life and there are some genuine funny people that always make you smile/laugh which is a good thing for the soul.

GO BLUES!

Im here as it’s the only place where a large percentage of people actually see the throws & the unpaid holding the ball/man that happen week on week & I feel comfort seeing others get as pissed off as much as me 😂
And I need a footy fix after moving to Qld, which is a footy wasteland if it’s not the lions or Gold Coast story

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I jumped on when I was 16 and didn't use it until green shoots phase so around 2017, wanted somewhere that wasn't as 'toxic' as twitter and facebook. The ignore function is handy here and there's usually good banter. Rarely depart this board and if it I do, it's for the FJGD board haha.

Started off at The Blue View, went to Carlton Supporters Club, travelled over to TC all the while joined here in 2004 but posted 2 bits of f all for the first 3 years.

It’s clear that Carlton supporters are a passionate lot, the same stoopid arguments no matter where you go. *ing stubborn lot, black or white and fk all grey is why these sites turn to s**t.

I look forward to gifs and cheese puns more than some of the vitriolic rubbish I read today. There are some so called supporters that would find something wrong, and go on and on about it, in winning a GF against the scum by 20 goals and being on a promise at every break.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I joined after a furious debate on the Carlton Facebook page where I posted that Malthouse simply was not the right coach for us and another poster said the players should leave if they didn’t want to play for Malthouse …

It was around the time we embraced the ‘no quick fixes’ plan of Trigg and the draft, and there was just so much banter and rumours to keep me going, especially between seasons.

And missing some of the posters such as HARKER Soapy V and The Smoking Gun

Legitimately though I joined to figure out who Robert Warnock was.

2009 was a weird time

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I joined a while ago but enjoyed lurking for a while. I don’t post much. But I enjoy reading all the points of view on Carlton, vast majority is very entertaining.
TC became too slow.
Some people here put so much thought into analysis and arguments. Better than reading the paper. And you can only talk so much footy with mates and none are Carlton.
Plus I know nothing about the under 18s comp so always good come draft and trade time reading options.

Last edited:
I connected an illegal wifi hack in the top of the barn. There was a link to BF on FFF (Farm Friend Finder) and well, sad story, I got dumped by this hot ewe and thought I’d investigate BF while I ate a tub of vanilla ice-cream (it was ordinary - you know, like Walsh). Anyway, after a couple of hours swiping left on FFF, I then go to BF. Q - What is a blue bagger? I can’t find it on FFF.

Carlton supporters at work were constantly negative towards the club, friends and relatives all supported other clubs, shift work trying to pump another album out. Perfect storm really. Great to have an outlet. Warm hugs to all you crazy kids.

I joined the old Carlton Supporters Club site in the early 2000s - before iPhones and Facebook/Twitter.
There was crossover members between CSC and Big Footy - but CSC was poorly maintained so Big Footy just became easier to use.
Just to show how little changes, here’s one of my last posts from CSC in 2013

BAA250EC-13A2-4945-B0F2-7588BBF3BEA0.jpeg

Moved away from Melbourne 7 years ago and missed the footy engagement. Don't get SEN reception, papers all out of date by a day, especially when we have played at night. Most TV shows are shallow rubbish and it doesn't help that we have been s**t since I moved. Wife is a Tiger and has had endless success since we left. Seeing her family in tears in '17 made me realise what our next one will be like.

Started reading around draft time 4 years ago and joined 2 years later. I was mainly keen on draft and training info, but the post game and tactical analysis is generally good. Have never done gameday and always prefer being at games live. Even live TV has become harder to tolerate as I have aged.

I always wonder whether I know any people on here, at least by sight. 50 years of going to games - I must know/recognise someone? The only poster I worked out was an ex-player who has since left. Those that have met over the years (or know each other socially) probably have an advantage and I'm surprised there aren't more catch-ups organised. Much easier to tolerate s**t from people if you can put a face (and more likely context) to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back