Why are you on Bigfooty or the Carlton Board?

Remove this Banner Ad

A relative newby, I like this place. I have personally have found that opinions may be not always be agreed with but its done respectfully more often than not. Debates are often strong and robust which is ok when its respectful and unpatronising. Mods do a great job of sorting out trolls and the odd inappropriate comment. You also get good info here without the pretentiousness (IMO).
So that's my story.

A relative newby, I like this place. I have personally have found that opinions may be not always be agreed with but its done respectfully more often than not. Debates are often strong and robust which is ok when its respectful and unpatronising. Mods do a great job of sorting out trolls and the odd inappropriate comment. You also get good info here without the pretentiousness (IMO).
So that's my story.
8 years in and still a newby? You're almost eligible for long service leave mate!

I think it is the sense of community, at a range of levels - Carlton, football, and life. I became a Carlton supporter as a young kid watching the 1979 Grand Final in a room with four noisy Collingwood supporters, but the game had negligible "cut-through" in the Sydney and Blue Mountains region in those days. There was no interest in sport in my family, so following Carlton has always been a solitary thing for me. In rugby league heartland, there wasn't much interest in the VFL; a couple of my school mates followed Hawthorn, which was almost worse than nothing... until 1987 :cool: .

So yes, I do come here to read and occasionally post, more about Carlton than the AFL as such (because I find my interest in the broader competition is diluted when 11-17 of the other teams are better than us in any given year!). There are people here with a deep knowledge and understanding of the game, and some really good writers, and I like reading what they have to say. But I also really enjoy reading about people's experiences and memories of the game, whether it is in their families, or in the crowd or wherever, and this has been a wonderful thread for that.

COVID and lockdown has played a a part too - like a lot of people, I have done those solo, and the sense of community in here has been a help. Even when we have been fractious and febrile, because that's a reflection of real life, too.

oh yeah, one of the great joys was watching a young player emerge through the ressies, or monitoring a senior player's form as they sought to get back into the side.

made you feel connected the team/club in ways that are hard to replace.

while supporting a team is largely a vicarious experience; it was more tribal, authentic, organic and above all created a sense of US as an entity.

Bring back the curtain raisers. (Please).
Couldn't agree more ... I remember watching the reserves in the early nineties and seeing a young Kouta running around. I was talking to a mate later that night and I said "I think I've seen the AFL body of the future today". I can still remember the skinny-ish legs topped by the large upper body. It allowed him to do a couple of remarkable things on the day. He wasn't dominant, but you could just see what he might be capable of.

It kinda surprised me how long it took him to truly emerge actually, but it seems that he and Parko clashed in terms of what his role should be.

But yeah, being able to witness that sort of thing added an extra dimension to following a footy club. Makes you wonder why the evolution of the game (or competition really) had to mean tearing the soul out of it ...

I visit big footy because it feels like going to the bowls club eg pub for others
There are familiar characters that make me feel like a cheers episode
There are characters that enrich my appreciation for the tactics of all aspects of the game
It’s a place to express thoughts hopes and observations on Carlton that that a lot in my life couldn’t give a fly in f?ck about
It’s an escape and a revelation
It provides humour and humanity
It’s raw and brilliant and banal
I know now I’m addicted it’s locked into my routine to care what people here feel and think

My only young memory of my dad was him tacking me to the footy when I was 3-1/2
I was told go blues yell go blues
Never really had relationship with him after that parents separated
So Carlton became a connection to dad it’s in the genes
How the year I was born 1970 he left the barbecue with my grandfather who barracked for Collingwood because we where getting thrashed lol teddy Hopkins
Footy connects rich and poor old and young
And me to my dad RIP and my brother where ever he is
This forum sustains that in an abstract way

It’s tribal and our jumper looks better than everyone else.

I came on BF because TC was……..hard on the eyes and lacked something.

This place gives me hope in the off-season. I’m a trade the draft tragic. I love new toys.

Hate it though when certain individuals post lies then rebrand themselves and do it all over again. I can handle the rest though - the rock eater from Kalgoorlie, the feral old cat/dog bloke, and then there’s me farm yard mate Roan. Cant leave out Bueller either - you may be shorty than a kindergarten kid, but you’re damn funny.

I was a bit of a reader for a while until I found that I wanted to contribute to the forum as well. TBH I think we are all more or less here for the same obvious reason and that is our obsession with this football club and this game. Out of all the clubs in the competition, this one is probably the club which creates the most conversation which is why this forum is often so busy and interesting. I think having people who attend training and write reports and those ITK posters are probably the ones who generate the richest content, for many of us this is the only place to get that kind of information which is so rich to us fans. It's entertaining and gives us all an outlet to talk footy and talk Carlton. There are plenty of reasons to be here.

I visit big footy because it feels like going to the bowls club eg pub for others
There are familiar characters that make me feel like a cheers episode
There are characters that enrich my appreciation for the tactics of all aspects of the game

I'm pretty sure I am Norm...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I came across BF about 12 years ago and liked the range of opinions, humour, wit and especially the passion for our club.

Appreciated the intel in the Rumour “No Discussion” thread, even the misfires and dummy spits afterwards were amusing.

Really enjoy the humour and wit of our posters - Ferris, Thy, KohPhi and Tony Lynn to name a few. There was also Starchamber, I could never work out whether he was trying to be funny or serious, but he cracked me up.

Anyway love your work comrades, keep on posting...

I usually only use the internet to discuss Crypto and NBA but a group I am in a supercoach comp with mentioned this site about 2 years ago. I have been reading off and on since then, don't get a lot of free time. I used to watch a lot of junior football but have had none in 2 years so joined largely for trade week and to see the draft stuff. Am trying to make more "free time" to relax and prioritise work less.

Love the posters that actually discuss football, can analyse the game or a player and make an argument - even if I don't agree with it and even if some are convinced they are always right. They create content that either expands my knowledge of the game or makes me think about my own views. Not a fan of the posters who use this as their whole life and take pot shots at anyone they disagree with. Also not a fan of the "club can do no wrong don't criticise" brigade. Though equally can't stand the posters who just want to see negative in everything. It is a fine balancing act.

Oh and I also want ODN to love me. But like with my wife, I will have to play the long game on that one.

Had some good online friends at TC way back. I think I actively sought out a forum at the time so I could get some things off my chest about Jordan Russell. Ironically I learnt to appreciate him a bit through some different views.
I used to pop in to BF occasionally back when Shandog posted frequently, and every other word in posts (it seemed back then) was Farrk!! Did my head in.
Anyway, started crossing over here more frequently and stayed.
Why?
Oats - Carrots - Sugar cubes.
Obviously!!!

Last edited:
I stumbled upon the BF site about 8 years and was surprised to find there was a forum dedicated to all things Carlton so i signed up.

My sense is there was a lot more social chat back in those days and the Blue Room forum seemed a lot busier. These days seems a lot more footy
serious than social chat although that may be a reflection of the number of posters who have left the site over the last few years.

There was always a lot of robust discussion but it was mainly civil back then unlike the shitshow we see today. Match autopsy threads now look a bit like a warzone with all the sniping that goes on. I do wonder if the relative anonymity of an internet forum emboldens some to say things they wouldnt think of in a face to face interaction.

Thanks to Chief's footy tipping comp i now have a complimentary Platinum membership until the end of August 23 so i will be around to see the Blues next premiership. :thumbsu: Did i mention what a top bloke Chief is.

I stumbled upon the BF site about 8 years and was surprised to find there was a forum dedicated to all things Carlton so i signed up.

My sense is there was a lot more social chat back in those days and the Blue Room forum seemed a lot busier. These days seems a lot more footy
serious than social chat although that may be a reflection of the number of posters who have left the site over the last few years.

There was always a lot of robust discussion but it was mainly civil back then unlike the shitshow we see today. Match autopsy threads now look a bit like a warzone with all the sniping that goes on. I do wonder if the relative anonymity of an internet forum emboldens some to say things they wouldnt think of in a face to face interaction.

Thanks to Chief's footy tipping comp i now have a complimentary Platinum membership until the end of August 23 so i will be around to see the Blues next premiership. :thumbsu: Did i mention what a top bloke Chief is.

You want a straw to go with ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back