Why aren't AFL team face masks a thing?

Remove this Banner Ad

MonkeyMagik

Senior List
Oct 1, 2005
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
starting to see patterned washable face masks pop up everywhere online and since we're gradually getting close to the concept of crowds at the footy again, why hasn't AFL merchandising jumped on this?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation I think. Would they be praised for making them available or attacked for trying to make a quick buck out of the situation?

Mind you I think the AFL are just generally slow with merch requests at the best of times. I know for numerous years there have been requests to our club for wide brim hats since it's so sunny and hot in QLD for longer through the year. And every single year we just get more and more caps instead.

starting to see patterned washable face masks pop up everywhere online and since we're gradually getting close to the concept of crowds at the footy again, why hasn't AFL merchandising jumped on this?

The AFL are, to put it mildly, behind the times. Have you seen their website?

If they did it for free at grounds it would be very different to if they charged a premium over the normal cost of a face mask and also put team sponsor logos on them.
Having the team sponsor on a free mask would be a reasonable compromise in theory. Given the low crowd numbers and loss in revenue, I can't see it being worthwhile. The AFL have bigger fish to fry this year.

Yep, I don't need a mask right now, but I'd be keen on a Hawks one. Band merch too. Would wear a Parkway Drive one insteas as long as Hawthorn are sucking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both West Coast and Fremantle are releasing their own masks shortly, if they haven't already.

$25 each. Not sure I like this, giving them away for free is fine. But make money off it? In poor taste, IMO.

While it's a good idea, there will be groups of people who will be complaining about it (Like there are with everything) as they want to be included or feel that it would be discrimination or something like that

they are a thing, they already came and went, learn how to use Google

facemasks-Mobile_4968b463-1b37-48c8-b6ec-faf688826926_412x.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back