Society/Culture Why aren't same sex couples represented more in Australian commercials?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah great brand building exercise.

I'm relaxing in front of the idiot box, and now I have to explain to my idiot kid why Johnny has two fathers, and explain the threatening dunnn duh duh dah Star Wars theme does not mean Darth Vader is about to burst out of our soup cans.

The point of advertising is to raise awareness of the features and benefits of your product so you can sell more product, not educate the public on the lifestyle choices of the characters portrayed by paid actors holding up said product.

There will be. Advertising reflects the status quo and building a rapport between characters and audience.

The homophobes will die off soon.
FFS with this identity politics!
They are a small minority that make up the population!

It doesn’t mean every second couple in tv needs to be of the lgbt variety!

Btw nice usual response
Homophobic
Racist
Nazi

Fruit loop KV

The representation of women with darker skin in advertisements has been a interesting one for me. The person in the advertisement does not usually look anything like the African , Aboriginal, Sri Lankan etc woman that I would see on the street.

It seems to very commonly be a multi racial woman with a lighter skin tone and curly/frizzy hair. In the Australian market I very rarely see a woman that looks like this but if the advertising industry were to be believed that is the stock standard black woman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah great brand building exercise.

I'm relaxing in front of the idiot box, and now I have to explain to my idiot kid why Johnny has two fathers, and explain the threatening dunnn duh duh dah Star Wars theme does not mean Darth Vader is about to burst out of our soup cans.

The point of advertising is to raise awareness of the features and benefits of your product so you can sell more product, not educate the public on the lifestyle choices of the characters portrayed by paid actors holding up said product.
poor you, having to teach your kid about the various people that make up modern society.

Could be why teachers are being forced to do it in schools now. Scared parents (or whatever the * reason they might not want to).

Why aren't there inclusive commercials like this on Australian television? I think it's about time

Probably because who cares? Advertising is a means to a end, and the end is sale of products. Advertisers will therefore target the biggest or most appropriate demographic for their product. Unless they specifically want to advertise with a social message behind their product like acceptance of same-sex couples (which is really just selling another product - the company/business image), they will carry on with business as usual. Wish we all would. That's when we move on from a facade to real change.

A common attempt of an insult used in many of yours and other radicalised loopy leftist posts

Clearly triggered by same-sex couples, hey?;)

married-gay-couple-121213.jpg

They're here
They aint going nowhere
They're moving right next-door to you...

Clearly triggered by same-sex couples, hey?;)

married-gay-couple-121213.jpg

They're here
They aint going nowhere
They're moving right next-door to you...
And your point is?

Thank you for just proving my point!
You lions target a minority group jump up and down, play the identity, homophobic, racist carts, for a sense of important to fulfill your meaningless empty pathetic lives

And your point is?

Thank you for just proving my point!
You lions target a minority group jump up and down, play the identity, homophobic, racist carts, for a sense of important to fulfill your meaningless empty pathetic lives
Where did it go wrong for you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back