Society/Culture Why aren't same sex couples represented more in Australian commercials?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not strictly (no issue is) but there seems a very strong correlation between conservative<->progressive on attitude towards gay people.

Liberal voters might point to Labor seats holding numerous districts which voted No but the Labor party is not a progressive party so that point is moot.

No doubt. No one can be put into a box and there are always outliers.

Agreed but in the context of Bigfooty it is generally easiest. Very few of us have the time to clarify and categorise each part of the political spectrum on every post.

Even paid journalists don't do this, although this is obviously to weaponise the right/left spectrum, get a rise out of people and clicks for their advertisers.

Reasonable post. Agree for the most part.

Regarding 'outliers'; I think there would be more than a few random stragglers on the outer edges of a bell curve - aka outliers - that identify as conservative and are also gay.

I also think that number will likely increase now that SSM is legal in Australia.

As far as the stereotypical true blue diehard lefty(zealot), then not so much. In that case, I think the term outlier would apply.

Last edited:
Reasonable post. Agree for the most part.
Regarding 'outliers'; I think there would be more than a few random stragglers on the outer edges of a bell curve - aka outliers - that identify as conservative and are also gay.I also think that number will likely increase now that SSM is legal in Australia. As far as the stereotypical true blue diehard lefty(zealot), then not so much. In that case, I think the term outlier would apply.

Now there's something one doesn't encounter everyday.

Now there's something one doesn't encounter everyday.

C'mon mate, there are no in betweens here.

It's either strap a cross to the roof rack and drive around with your Che Guevara tshirt on and a Billy Bragg cassette blaring away in the tape deck or grow a toothbrush moustache and get around on a pitchfork screaming achtung muthafukkas!.

#representyo

C'mon mate, there are no in betweens here.

It's either strap a cross to the roof rack and drive around with your Che Guevara tshirt on and a Billy Bragg cassette blaring away in the tape deck or grow a toothbrush moustache and get around on a pitchfork screaming achtung muthafukkas!.

#representyo

Assuming one both invests in & subscribes to the phoney Hegelian dialectic to begin with, that is.

It's not a new paradigm, though the fact that people still haven't woken up to it's use - as a means to manipulate & brain-wash an entire populace - is more the surprising aspect of it all.

Now Coke or Pepsi.....There are no alternatives or in betweens....Choose.

Hmmm....I wonder why they don't teach Hagel.

Assuming one both invests in & subscribes to the phoney Hegelian dialectic to begin with, that is.

It's not a new paradigm, though the fact that people still haven't woken up to it's use - as a means to manipulate & brain-wash an entire populace - is more the surprising aspect of it all.

I'm not so sure that the population is being manipulated as much as it's just asleep.

No doubt certain characters benefit greatly from and are more than happy for the existing status quo to continue, however.

Yeeeeah pretty much everyone takes the bait and gets pulled along. There is no sense in trying to stop it either, as its like spreading your arms out and hoping to stop a stampede of angry buffalo.

Ps: Whats this nonsense about teaching people how to recognise the cons they fall in to, in the very institutions that have always been used to mentally prepare folks for being conned when they leave?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A decent set of clippers is much cheaper than hair transplants.
I don't know what I would do if I started to bald. I'm becoming anxious thinking about it.

On the topic at hand, there's a probably an element of corporate self-preservation.

If you hate homosexuals, there's probably more people who would boycott a product when linking it with homosexuality than people who would buy a product purely based on LGBTI-friendly advertisements.

I'm sure that companies, as profit-seekers, are pretty savvy when it comes to picking their political battles.

Why is it, that when we do see gay people in adverts and movies, it is nearly always 2 gay men?
The media seem to be afraid to show lesbians.

If you hate homosexuals, there's probably more people who would boycott a product when linking it with homosexuality than people who would buy a product purely based on LGBTI-friendly advertisements.
Does this still exist?

I saw an ad with two presumed gay guys on a couch. They went the camp route to make it even more obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back