News Why Brendon Gale should be the AFL's next CEO - Caroline Wilson's Opinion

Remove this Banner Ad

It is five years almost to the day that Gillon McLachlan was appointed to the biggest job in Australian sport, a job to which he had seemed destined for at least five years before that and a job in which he is expected to remain at least until the end of 2020.

McLachlan was linked to a major multi-million-dollar role with Crown almost 18 months ago and last week a gossipy media item suggested there was a big job on offer from the Seven Network, a rumour he has denied, insisting he will not be leaving the AFL this year.

The earlier Crown report came at a sensitive time for the league CEO.

He came under pressure in late 2017 from News Limited in a shadowy campaign that organisation never managed to establish as factual and which saw McLachlan’s new chairman Richard Goyder firmly stand behind him, prepared he said to take the issue to Rupert Murdoch if he had to.

Whether McLachlan, 45, ever really considered leaving back then is unclear but either way Goyder ensured he would stay. But the top job in Australian rules is demanding and McLachlan said from the outset he would not be a decade-long chief like Andrew Demetriou. He also said he wanted a lesser profile and less scrutinised role by the time his children were going through senior school and his eldest is now 11.

Which is why it is unusual that McLachlan has no succession plan in place, a plan Demetriou was told to prioritise the moment he took on the job in 2003. Some former commissioners, while generally praising McLachlan’s performance, see it as one indictment on his stewardship that not one of his executive team looms as his replacement.

To single out some without damning any, McLachlan’s financial lieutenant Ray Gunston has proved an invaluable right-hand man, Andrew Dillon a long-time solid performer and newcomer Kylie Rogers an innovator. But none is the next AFL chief even if they did aspire to the role - and that seems uncertain. Steve Hocking boasts the football credentials and the thick skin but he is far too early into the revolutionary journey — bound to strike roadblocks — McLachlan has assigned him to be considered.

Also strangely McLachlan has never strongly endorsed the man widely seen as the unbackable favourite to replace him — Richmond chief Brendon Gale. This is not to say he has denigrated Gale but just that other club names are also thrown up in conversation and Gale never openly promoted the way Demetriou promoted McLachlan.

AFL seniors speak in glowing terms of Bombers CEO Xavier Campbell. They take into account his age (39), the task he inherited at a broken Essendon Football Club, the membership and sponsorship strength despite the drug scandal and its fall-out and the financial deals he struck with the 34 banned players — all of which he negotiated outside the salary cap. But club bosses and past and present commissioners alike place Gale well ahead.

Read the rest here - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ld-be-the-afl-s-next-ceo-20190503-p51jsq.html

The sooner McLachlan is gone the better. Sadly, he'll probably be replaced by someone far inferior to BG

For the health of footy overall, I think BG would be a great appointment. A man of integritywho won't just look at the bottom line but look deeper into issues like the health of footy in the regional areas.

And he'll get a bloody footy team in Tassie which is at least 10 years overdue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the comments at the bottom of the article, Caro is only saying Gale cause she is a Richmond supporter. Xavier Campbell is the obvious first choice. lol

It is only one person's opinion.
Channel Nine, which owns The Age and SMH, has a vested interest in denigrating the AFL administration because they do not have AFL broadcast rights.
AFL is killing Channel 9's NRL in terms of media rights and attendances.
6.7 million attendance compared to 3.2 million per year.
Everything is political.
It would be unorthodox to select Gale.

Last edited:
The club is in such a great position on and off field that we’d have no problem attracting a quality CEO should Benny go.

Don’t know anything about Jackson and Bowden off field - do they have business backgrounds?

Not much to see here. I'd be surprised if Richmond haven't had a succession plan in place for years now given that Peggy must retire after her current term as President. Also Benny will eventually seek new challenges now that he and his executive colleagues have re established Richmond as a modern day powerhouse. Benny doesn't strike me as the kind of person who will settle into cruise mode for the next 20 or so years and will look for something new to maintain his edge.

The big variable though in taking on the AFL CEO position is that he would lose the support network he's built up at Richmond. He would also be at the mercy of vested financial and political interests that would, sooner than later, exert pressure on him to pursue strategic directions not necessarily compatible with his values. In addition, he would have to stop being a Richmond man first and contemplate making decisions not in Richmond's immediate interests if the integrity and stability of the game as a whole demanded it. I can see it being an attractive proposition but unless the working environment at AFL headquarters is culturally sound, I can't see him moving.

Not much to see here. I'd be surprised if Richmond haven't had a succession plan in place for years now given that Peggy must retire after her current term as President. Also Benny will eventually seek new challenges now that he and his executive colleagues have re established Richmond as a modern day powerhouse. Benny doesn't strike me as the kind of person who will settle into cruise mode for the next 20 or so years and will look for something new to maintain his edge.

The big variable though in taking on the AFL CEO position is that he would lose the support network he's built up at Richmond. He would also be at the mercy of vested financial and political interests that would, sooner than later, exert pressure on him to pursue strategic directions not necessarily compatible with his values. In addition, he would have to stop being a Richmond man first and contemplate making decisions not in Richmond's immediate interests if the integrity and stability of the game as a whole demanded it. I can see it being an attractive proposition but unless the working environment at AFL headquarters is culturally sound, I can't see him moving.

This post has no business on BigFooty. It makes too much sense !!?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah it's a toughie!
And like you have posted extremely well..an interesting one for BG to contemplate if he is so inclined!
Plum jobs like that come with certain strings attached! Come in and just leave your scruples at the front door!
I'm inclined to think that maybe BG is their man! BG just seems to me one who avoids the media circus, except for GF celebrations and thank yous! BG is not like other possible canditates for the job like Eddie who blows the Wobbles trumpet and is a media player! And who i previously thought was a shoe in for the job till his media gaffes proved him a tad sus!
BG seems to me a behind the scenes mover and shaker at TigerLand, Peggy takes the media bows...
Think BGs lime light reticence and his excellent work at TigerLand may appeal to the AFL power brokers!
Whether the job of AFL CEO appeals to BG is a another matter entirely...

Yeah it's a toughie!
And like you have posted extremely well..an interesting one for BG to contemplate if he is so inclined!
Plum jobs like that come with certain strings attached! Come in and just leave your scruples at the front door!
I'm inclined to think that maybe BG is their man! BG just seems to me one who avoids the media circus, except for GF celebrations and thank yous! BG is not like other possible canditates for the job like Eddie who blows the Wobbles trumpet and is a media player! And who i previously thought was a shoe in for the job till his media gaffes proved him a tad sus!
BG seems to me a behind the scenes mover and shaker at TigerLand, Peggy takes the media bows...
Think BGs lime light reticence and his excellent work at TigerLand may appeal to the AFL power brokers!
Whether the job of AFL CEO appeals to BG is a another matter entirely...

Peggy doesn’t take media bows.

Haere Ra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back