Why can't Adelaide retain players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More deflection than Justin Langer, but hey I'll play.

Lobbe was a mistake. See there's no problem with admitting your mistakes and then rectifying them. Lobbe is no longer on the list.

Tippett? Are you ******* kidding? You guys moved heaven and earth to keep him. To the point of cheating. Seriously dude, get a grip.

How about you guys just admit you have a problem, then try and rectify it? Excuses and deflections don't really solve anything. Saying that Port magically pay their players 20% more than anybody else and then saying all Port players are s**t any rate really does you no favours. Blaming the old regime when you've lost 3 first 22 (1 superstar) under the Andrew "at least I'm not Trigg" Fagan era does you no favours. Player retention clearly is a problem for your club. As I have previously posted, if you'd managed to retain half the talent you lost, there is no doubt you would have at least 1 more flag to your names. I'm happy that you lot don't see it as an issue, but I'm pretty sure some level headed Crows supporters in the real world would see that it is. Maybe even the powers that be be at Beige HQ now see it given your drafting strategy. Anywho, whatever, bury your heads in the sand, it's all good.

I'm the reincarnation of Justin Langer. On the attack. 4rpo style Langer.

Just one thing...How am I, a supporter, meant to 'rectify a problem' with my football club. That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

A problem generally implies that things are going wrong...but things keep getting better and better for my club. More members, crowds, sponsors, wins etc.

We drafted a guy that was predicted top 5 at 12. Just because he's from SA, you think we've 'changed our strategy'.
Oh thanks for that btw, it was your pick we used to get him.

"Theres no doubt you'd have at least another flag to your name".
Nice, I'm glad you can go back in time, change things and then learn the result, only to return to the current time to tell us all your pearls of wisdom.

You're making an absolute fool of yourself here.

I'll say it again. Player retention does not equal success.
The bulldogs lost their captain, coach, CEO and brownlow medallist in one season, then paid $1m per year for a spud, and won a flag 2 years later.
You've held every player you wanted and cant even beat a top 8 side.
The idea is to get the best team you can for the money available.

Tippett when we signed him the FIRST time. Not when we didnt want to resign him the 2nd time round. You think we'd be a better side with Tippett getting $800k to play reserves? Interesting perspective.

Last edited:
Tippett, Gunston, Lever and Cameron all left because of the environment. They hated the joint. Dangerfield just didn' see himself ultimately as an Adelaide player or person. You don't suddenly get Homesick at age 25. Adelaide FC just didnt fulfill him. Bock and Davis left for money no doubt.

Gunston was leaving from the day he was Picked, and he left for more money than the Crows were willing to pay him. That was a bad selection interview because they missed the fact, he was always going to go to the highest bidder in Melb after his contract expired, and that is from his own mouth.
Lever Left for Money it was his management who changed the tune late in the piece and said it was for Family reason After he was grantee 200k more a year. First, it was the low ball offer, then it was Crow not offering as much, and after that it was family, Ask his Old man when he first approached other clubs. the timing is interesting.
Cameron has praised the environment but the Family pull was important.
Dangerfield did leave for Family, the issues the Crows had that year highlight how important family was. And with respect there no need to go into details on that. Did you know the Crows lost a couple Promising players due to events from 2015.

You, my Friend, have no Idea and are truly only trolling.

But still get flogged by 84 Points by us and can’t beat a top 8 team and lost your first and only final at home.....

I've stated a couple of times in this thread that in order to create a real, traditional football club culture and atmosphere where players and members feel like a part of something special, your team has to have real clubrooms. The funny thing is, this "Roovolution" you speak of will never allow it happen. Too many personal conflicts of interest and fingers in pies. Just goes to show the kind of culture that permeates at your "club"

Individual > the bigger picture

You really can't blame anyone for looking out for number 1.

I've stated a couple of times in this thread that in order to create a real, traditional football club culture and atmosphere where players and members feel like a part of something special, your team has to have real clubrooms. The funny thing is, this "Roovolution" you speak of will never allow it happen. Too many personal conflicts of interest and fingers in pies. Just goes to show the kind of culture that permeates at your "club"

Hang on your members are the most fickle in the league.
Go up and down like a yo-yo with your success or failure.
Our members are there every week no matter what.

So what does having a clubrooms have to do with it?

Members mixing with players and vice versa. Being inclusive, a family environment. Yeah, you have a lot of supporters but they're kept at an arm's distance. Players are employees and nothing more. They even get barred from attending the best and fairest.

When these Victorian clubs coming knocking, your players must see their setup and the choice between them vs. you isn't even a contest. Same goes for players like Polec and Motlop.

27 years in the comp and your supporters are camping around Adelaide Oval to watch the GF. I mean really what is that all about?

Onfield results don't happen every year. A real club though you expect to last forever.

Bricks and Mortar do not build clubs, People do
Clubs rooms only cater for a small percentage of members. in a National competition.
How does all this talk of clubrooms make your interstate and Country supporters feel? Do they feel part of the Club because you have clubrooms.
You should really stop living in the 1800's and move on with the times.
By the way, how is Port going in the new 21st century Clubrooms, commonly called social media? because that is where members can truly meet, greet and communicate their team's Players, they can laugh at them share stories meet the families.
And any Football club that fails to recognize this are failing its members,

Again Social Media are the Clubrooms of the 21st century and the best place to meet and greet all the players no matter where you live. it allows US, UK NZ, China, India, Europe based members to be part of the club, And your fascination with Bricks and Mortar are frankly old school.

Bricks and Mortar do not build clubs, People do
Clubs rooms only cater for a small percentage of members. in a National competition.
How does all this talk of clubrooms make your interstate and Country supporters feel? Do they feel part of the Club because you have clubrooms.
You should really stop living in the 1800's and move on with the times.
By the way, how is Port going in the new 21st century Clubrooms, commonly called social media? because that is where members can truly meet, greet and communicate their team's Players, they can laugh at them share stories meet the families.
And any Football club that fails to recognize this are failing its members,

Again Social Media are the Clubrooms of the 21st century and the best place to meet and greet all the players no matter where you live. it allows US, UK NZ, China, India, Europe based members to be part of the club, And your fascination with Bricks and Mortar are frankly old school.

Honestly your post says more than I ever could.

I'll stop giving advice now because if some day you guys actually do catch on, you might start doing really well.

Well for a start Tex is more passenger than driver when things go pear shaped and having a captain sitting at full forward is stupid when the ball doesn't even get there sometimes. Sloane could inspire from the middle but a traffic cone at full forward could not inspire s**t.

Oh you're still living in the 80s when a full forward sits in the goal square.
News flash: The game has changed.

Do young people from the city really not like camping and fishing? I thought the idea of city people being effeminate and all that was just something that movies and TV shows played up, but now I'm not so sure. :huh:

Look at the players Instagrams or Twitters.
its all they seem to do in the offseason. Travel and camp/fish.

Lol. You don't reckon clubs like Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney develop players that others want? Difference is these players dont want to leave. It is 100% about culture.

Their players dont leave.
So just going to forget Kennedy, Ablett, Franklin, McGlynn, Mumford etc etc etc.

You really get dumber every post.

What an idiotic comment. Geelong went hard at Boak in 2012. He then went on to be All Australian in 2013 and 2014. He's
A club captain and 1 club player. He doesn't want to go anywhere.

And now he's worth bugger all and cant even play in his natural position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tippett, Gunston, Lever and Cameron all left because of the environment. They hated the joint. Dangerfield just didn' see himself ultimately as an Adelaide player or person. You don't suddenly get Homesick at age 25. Adelaide FC just didnt fulfill him. Bock and Davis left for money no doubt.

LOL Tippett left because we didnt pay him stupid money.
Sydney did and look where he is now.

Dangerfield loved AFC. He left for purely family reasons, which is perfectly understandable. You think you'd understand that given "Port's amazing family culture".

You really have no clue. You should give up while you're only way behind.

I'll stop giving advice now because if some day you guys actually do catch on, you might start doing really well.

Maybe you should give your own club advice, as we don't seem to have trouble, attending games, increasing membership, getting sponsors because we live in the 21st century

Haha I’ve posted in the thread about 3 times and it’s obsession. You know you’ve got the other posters on the back foot when they just keep deflecting and deflecting. I’m just looking for an answer because there’s just 145 pages of excuses and deflections.

You complain about the thread being derailed so do your best to answer the question without bias. Is it Adelaide’s poor culture that stops them from retaining good players?

What do you attribute to Port Power being crap

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Most of you Adelaide supporters should be in Star Wars films, all you are capable of doing is deflect, deflect, deflect.

Your calling out adelaide for being crap but your club is far greater at being crap than us

You need to look in a mirror before criticising others

It's what is called a hypocrite

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

More deflection than Justin Langer, but hey I'll play.

Lobbe was a mistake. See there's no problem with admitting your mistakes and then rectifying them. Lobbe is no longer on the list.

Tippett? Are you ******* kidding? You guys moved heaven and earth to keep him. To the point of cheating. Seriously dude, get a grip.

How about you guys just admit you have a problem, then try and rectify it? Excuses and deflections don't really solve anything. Saying that Port magically pay their players 20% more than anybody else and then saying all Port players are s**t any rate really does you no favours. Blaming the old regime when you've lost 3 first 22 (1 superstar) under the Andrew "at least I'm not Trigg" Fagan era does you no favours. Player retention clearly is a problem for your club. As I have previously posted, if you'd managed to retain half the talent you lost, there is no doubt you would have at least 1 more flag to your names. I'm happy that you lot don't see it as an issue, but I'm pretty sure some level headed Crows supporters in the real world would see that it is. Maybe even the powers that be be at Beige HQ now see it given your drafting strategy. Anywho, whatever, bury your heads in the sand, it's all good.

Why do we need to fix anything?

We just finished top and played off in a GF, with a relatively young list, plus we just picked up the best SA kid in the draft and have some nice picks in next years Super draft. Not to mention 8/10 years in finals, a 5 in a row showdown count and a bright future. We are doing just fine in fact a lot better than our little brother.

They can go to the club rooms to watch the game, rather than supporting their team live... when the going gets tough. ;)

How many players do you think get offered big fat contracts? Most of the time club loyalty overrides that.

You love this narrative that Lever was offered absolute mega bucks and you wouldn't match it. Truth is A. You don't know how much he's on and B. You still pay the full cap, which means other guys on your list are getting that money. I'm looking at you, Josh Jenkins.

No we don't know how much he is on but fair guess is $800k plus as per most media reports. Now the difference is we are positioning ourselves with other players (Sloane, Crouch brothers and Laird) who are due to come out of contract this year. They are worth the $$$, Lever not so.

No we don't know how much he is on but fair guess is $800k plus as per most media reports. Now the difference is we are positioning ourselves with other players (Sloane, Crouch brothers and Laird) who are due to come out of contract this year. They are worth the $$$, Lever not so.
To be honest, Lever >>>> Laird and Brad crouch

Dont bother.
Apparently the point of AFL football is to keep as many players as possible.

Or to get players the clubs don't WANT to keep.

Rockliff - Brisbane didn't even bother with an offer, Motlop - Geelong didn't care and let him go and the Watts - well what needs to be said.

Lets not even bother about the DFA.

Lets not worry about all the other players that left this year.

You have done nothing - what are you on about.

Face it, you are the little brother and you are clamouring for attention. But unfortunately you will always be in our shadow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back