Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Of coarse he expected to be paid, are you saying when he nominated for the draft he expected to stay in Melbourne, if that's the case, he's very naïve.
When you elect for the draft you put yourself at the mercy of whomever picks you up, do you think players should be allowed to elect the state they are drafted too as well, after all, he didn't ask to go to Adelaide.
No, I'm saying that the prospect or potential of living interstate is very different to actually doing it. Particularly for people so young. Some will thrive, others will be indifferent, others will have no attachment, others will hate it. Combine that with a contract that looks significant unders, and you are starting to paint a picture.

Most people would be humbled to be given a chance to play AFL football and in days gone by they repaid that faith.
Adelaide contracted him for 3 years and he honoured that contract. That's all there is to it. Adelaide shouldn't be guilting him into staying beyond his committment or using that to pay him significantly below market rates.

Sedat!

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lever has just been a knob from start to finish.
For every action there's a reaction. Adelaide's initial offer to Lever clearly initiated the chains of events that has led to this embarrassing situation. I wouldn't know Andrew Fagan if he stood up in my cornflakes but the only 2 times I've heard him in the media was borderline accusing an AFL umpire of being on the take after the Dog v Adelaide game last season, and then he bobs up this week with his horseshit comments over the Lever situation.

Sounds like the wrong CEO's have been given the arse if that is the sum total of what this bloke says in the media. Incredibly unprofessional conduct from someone who obviously gets caught up in the emotion of the moment and doesn't let his brain override his mouth.

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
Interesting you say that because there is a massive issue with suicide amongst FIFO workers. So they, in fact, struggle to cope with it.

Pretty s**t post mate.

Yes, because they suffer from the isolation, Adelaide might be a quiet town, but its far from isolated.

And read my edit to understand my position, I've lived it champ.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
I know Jenkins was s**t in the GF but in the last four years he's kicked 40,46,62 & 45 goals. Plenty of sides would be more than happy with that kind of output. I'm not saying I'm a huge Jenkins fan but he doesn't deserve the s**t he's been copping around here lately. People are acting like he's the new Vickery.
When you lip off about being a 'premiership player' & duly choke when that chance arises you will generally cop it!

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Yes, because they suffer from the isolation, Adelaide might be a quiet town, but its far from isolated.
Nor should he have to be suicidal or unhappy to want to move home. He might merely prefer it at home, and that's fine.

- He's fulfilled his committment to Adelaide.
- He's got a great opportunity in a place he'd prefer to live.
- He's attracting his market value which appears significantly greater than what Adelaide were offering.

It sounds like a great decision to me.

Ultimately, he should be caring about what is best for him, his family, and his friends. If this is it, it's a great choice.

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Yeah, and like I said before, you reap what you sow, he made his bed, now lie in the ******* thing.
He's literally done nothing wrong. He signed a contract, honoured that contract, gave very good service throughout that contract, and has now chosen to move on.

The only people that are upset are those that have an unhealthy obsession with a game.

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
He's literally done nothing wrong. He signed a contract, honoured that contract, gave very good service throughout that contract, and has now chosen to move on.

The only people that are upset are those that have an unhealthy obsession with a game.

Not in your eyes, and obviously not in his, but in the eyes of his employer he has and that's about the only opinion that matters.

Catsnlakers

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I'm not one to obsess around 'Vic bias', but unfortunately I think one of the contributing factors is the unhealthy media campaign regarding Victorian players situated interstate. This happened with both Danger and Lever. Already the narrative around Sloane is starting up...
BT beat the 'Lever come home' drum all year.
Another contributing factor would be the difference in cities, you have the most liveable city ( which also has easily the best sporting precinct in this country ) in Melbourne & Adelaide which has.............Rundle mall. :)

Sep 16, 2010
Coastal cruiser
AFL Club
Carlton
No, you'd only look at it like that if you're a ******, why on earth would Adelaide want a bloke at its best and fairest who doesn't want to be a part of the club and why would Lever want to spend an evening in the company of people he has just turned his back on.

The only thing we come into this world with is integrity, it cant be taken from you if you don't allow it, but you can certainly give it away.
Lever traded his for a quick buck and is paying the price, that's it.
I'm assuming Cameron isn't there as well?
Hypocrites

Catsnlakers

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lever isn’t a mummy’s boy. He’s just more interested in a bigger pay packet at the expense of a better shot at a premiership.

He can say it’s about family all he wants, but the reality is he told Adelaide he’d stay if they paid him close to what Melbourne is offering.
Over the course of the rest of his career he will have better chances at a flag with the Dees IMO. So that alongside better cash & going home means he made the only logical decision for himself and his future.

Dank Academy

All Australian
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Another contributing factor would be the difference in cities, you have the most liveable city ( which also has easily the best sporting precinct in this country ) in Melbourne & Adelaide which has.............Rundle mall. :)
Absolutely a factor - although it's an overplayed stereotype.

Catsnlakers

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Adelaide has a lot of booing to do next year.
Their club as a whole is full of hot air...I bet some crows supporters must cringe when they think back at Jenkins comments, or Ricciuto's on 360 for that matter.

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Lever should really just take it as a massive compliment. They're just spewing that they didn't call Jenkins bluff when they had the chance.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
From memory he wasn't even selected after indicating his interest in GWS.

He had a busted shoulder and was out for the rest of the season injured when he announced it - So it was impossible for him to play again

Whatever way you look at it, the club uninviting Lever to the B&F is a massive overreaction

Still looking for the proof that the club actually uninvited him

has it escaped everyone’s notice that Stringer was a no show at the Western Bulldogs B&F last night?

Is this serious? I can't wait to hear Damien Barrett's outrage - oh wait, that won't happen #vflmediahasitinforadelaide

DemonTim

Cancelled
10k Posts The Trident - Awarded to posters who do a hell of a lot on the Dees board
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
He had a busted shoulder and was out for the rest of the season injured when he announced it - So it was impossible for him to play again

Still looking for the proof that the club actually uninvited him

Is this serious? I can't wait to hear Damien Barrett's outrage - oh wait, that won't happen #vflmediahasitinforadelaide
The stringer thing has been reported over here...

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
Of coarse he expected to be paid, are you saying when he nominated for the draft he expected to stay in Melbourne, if that's the case, he's very naïve.
When you elect for the draft you put yourself at the mercy of whomever picks you up, do you think players should be allowed to elect the state they are drafted too as well, after all, he didn't ask to go to Adelaide.
Most people would be humbled to be given a chance to play AFL football and in days gone by they repaid that faith.
Adelaide showed a lot of faith in Danger by allowing him to stay in Vic at the start of his career and he repaid them with 8 years of service, no problems, I'm sure he would have rather stayed in Victoria but that's not how the draft works or it wouldn't work at all.

Odd from a Port supporter considering Wingard pretty much told all other clubs that he was staying in Adelaide and wanted port.
Crows mis-read this from the start by offering a low contract initially. You gotta start somewhere in a negotiation, but 350k was massive unders. It then opens up the door to other offers.

I don't blame Lever, he got exactly what he wanted. Good money and a move home

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Over the course of the rest of his career he will have better chances at a flag with the Dees IMO. So that alongside better cash & going home means he made the only logical decision for himself and his future.
Gotta wait and see on that one. Melbourne seems to be on the up and their young midfielders look good. That said, they've still got a long way to go before they are challenging for flags. It's not the first time in recent years that Melbourne have had good young players coming through that they did nothing with.

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs

1. Melbourne
  2. Vienna
  3. Vancouver
  4. Toronto
  5. Adelaide
Well done to Melbourne for winning and I think it's a great place but going on that poll Adelaide is 5 in the WORLD as far as liveable cities go so yeah Rundle Mall must be pretty f**king amazing.[/QUOTE]

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
I’ve never seen a club implode like Adelaide in the space of a week following a GF loss.
How have they imploded? Two guys leaving (Lever and Cameron) who many already expected would be leaving.

Is there something that's happened in the past week that was unexpected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back