Why can't Adelaide retain players?

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by MaddAdam, Oct 3, 2017.

Put it out there
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Relton Roberts

Relton Roberts Debutant

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Its the price you pay to live in the state the hosts the AFL GF....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Go the Guts

Go the Guts Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Mighty Double Blues
    :thumbsu: Under the AFL's directive.

3. Kickin Goals

Kickin Goals Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    San Antonio Spurs
    I know they don't I'm saying all those things combined are why we are carrying on like we are. It's not anger at all it's frustration and disappointment.

4. TexanKnights

TexanKnights Team Captain

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    We are Bolton and Lever is Reek

5. Crowbling

Crowbling Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Lol that’s a good one.

6. Crankyhawk

Crankyhawk Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    So why dodee over burton?

7. Kickin Goals

Kickin Goals Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    San Antonio Spurs
    Apparently Burton's knee was mean't to be shot. Obviously not.

8. crows dude

crows dude Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    adelaide
    Again we screwed up

9. Adelaide Hawk

Adelaide Hawk Hall of Famer

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Norwood
    Don't you just want to vomit when players trot out the old "It's not about the money" line? They think the public is stupid. Of course it's about the money, it's why most contemporary players even play the game.

As for "family reasons", give me a break. We all remember how Tippet wanted to return to Brisbane for "family reasons", but his priorities altered the moment he got a better offer from Sydney :)

10. FR0GGY

FR0GGY Press the button

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    CDFC
    Mitch clarke as well.
    Most people would understand lever going home as well as getting a pay rise, but just be honest and say that.

Croweater23 and Adelaide Hawk like this.
  11. The Flying Doormat

The Flying Doormat Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Sturt
    Deflection, a great way to hide your mistakes.

portly likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. JayJ20

JayJ20 Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Adelaide are not doing themselves a favour after their meltdowns post-grand final.

I think their treatment of Lever (who by the rules is uncontracted and therefore allowed to seek a trade) comes across as unprofessional to me. If the reports of the spray given to Lever and Cameron for requesting a trade are true, then that sort of adds to perhaps what may be viewed as a hostile environment at Adelaide brought on by the leadership group. Ablett put Gold Coast through much more than Lever, yet he still attended the B&F.

You don't have your leadership group approach the coach to have a required player sit out because he is likely going to request a trade. It's not a good look for them. I think they'd need to make some changes in their leadership group to make it a more relaxed environment.

The inability to retain players can't possibly be only because they draft a lot of Victorians when Port don't have the same problem. Has to be an environmental thing.

13. Jackie_Chiles

Jackie_Chiles Premium Gold

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Stars, Sharks, Spurs, Suns
    Lol Crowbots.

14. VictorianCrow85

VictorianCrow85 Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Yes absolutely - the correct procedure involves leaking the information to journalists so they can do it for the club rather than being transparent yourself.

To be honest as a supporter I have no issue with a club official giving a this explanation as to the player loss. I'm sure due to the number of high profile losses in recent times the club has been getting harassed by high up members so might have decided this time make sure the reasons are known so supporters understand what situation the club is dealing with. I agree Burton's handling and tone etc wasn't a good look, it really needed to be done in a more matter of fact without any emotion to avoid looking like a flog or just being bitter.

Croweater23 and Ian Dunross like this.
  15. VictorianCrow85

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Jenkins isn't on massive overs that would effect our ability to retain guys, he's on $550k the issue for him was more related to the length of the contract which we may find ourselves in trouble with in a year or two but I guess the jury is out on that. $550k is a bit much but I'd guess he'd collect $450k at most clubs, hell Brisbane were offering $750k which definitely drove his price up a bit.

Croweater23 likes this.
  16. ad victoriam

ad victoriam Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    CDFC
    Guess there were 3 reasons all linked
    Burton was Longevity, they could not grantee how long he will play due to the serious aspect of his injury,
    Doedee has the ability to match Burton, for output going on his TAC output.
    Doedee was a defensive player who was not beaten one on one during his time in the TAC comp while Burton only played Forward up until you guys drafted him.

Just a bit about Doedee
    After watching him all year in the SANFL apart from the height he a close to a Like for Like to Lever there is and he also a lot quicker. Topped the SANFL in intercept possessions, was 6th in intercept marks, 12th in spoils, came 2nd in SANFL Club Champion by 1 point
    Note, he missed 5 games early due to injury and has not completed a preseason.

But with all that said Time will tell, We will have to review this post in 12 months see if he can sum run on the board.

Ian Dunross likes this.
  17. VictorianCrow85

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    This is exactly it for me, I wouldn't begrudge Lever going if he just said something along the lines of "I'm being offered a lot more than Adelaide can offer, I've enjoyed my time here but people and fans need to understand this is a job as well as a passion so making this decision for my financial future is important to me." Sure the loyalty aspect might grate a little but most people offered 30-50% more money would take that and change jobs too if they are honest with themselves.

Then there's Lever blatantly lying which is the part that does get under my skin. For the record he's terrible at lying too, the guys body language (eyes and voice tone) totally changes when he's not speaking the truth which has been quite a lot in the 2nd half of this year. It's pretty insulting fans have to hear this garbage when I think many, maybe even most these days are mature enough to accept money as a valid reason to move rather than hide behind stupid spin. If we want spin we'll listen to our politicians, at least some of them can deliver it convincingly even if you still know it's shit.

Ian Dunross and Adelaide Hawk like this.
  18. FR0GGY

FR0GGY Press the button

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    CDFC
    Definately didn't happen. You realise cameron attended the best and fairest as did danger the year he left. Lever and his camp have brought it on themselves with their unprofessional handling of matters, including breaking team and possible contract rules. The rubbish leaks (such as our opening offer being lower than what he's currently on) have come from his side, BT hasn't helped at all.

Ian Dunross likes this.
  19. Willo 17

Willo 17 All Australian

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    You could understand a kid doing it for a couple of hours, but please, it has been seven days of constant sooking. Grow up Crows.

Capital and Strange Cat like this.
  20. Adelaide Hawk

Adelaide Hawk Hall of Famer

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Norwood
    I've watched football since the 1960s, and it was rare to see top line players switch to another club in those days. Loyalty to one's club was paramount. However, this is the 21st century. Sadly (for me), the game is no longer the game I loved as a kid. It is a business now, first and foremost, its only correlation to being a sport is people in the parklands play a similar type of game.

We are seeing AFL going the way as the NRL, the way NBA went 30 years ago. With situations such as Buddy, Lever, etc all stating they want to be at the one club for life, it has made us aware of how quickly this attitude can change. People made it sound as though there was constant bad blood with Lever. Graham Cornes even went so far as to suggest Adelaide should not have chosen Lever in their Grand Final. This, of course, is absolute nonsense. On the day, Lever was still a Crows player and would have loved to have won a premiership. How many chances do you get?

I remember when the siren rang to end the 2013 GF and the Hawks had just defeated Freo. There was no happier man on that ground than Buddy Franklin, even though we found out later that he'd known for 12 months he'd be going to Sydney. It didn't change him wanting to win on that day.

People need to get used to the idea that even though, as members, we remain loyal to our clubs, to players it's the way they make their living. It's life in the 21st century, and the day of the one club career player is drawing to a close.

VictorianCrow85 likes this.
  21. VictorianCrow85

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I completely agree with all of your post. It's a bit sad the loyalty is less and less but money talks it's just the reality of it these days. I don't blame players for wanting to capitalise on their time in the sun, just respect the ones who opt to take less and show the loyalty in higher regard.

22. go_the_dockers

go_the_dockers Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Man Utd
    They draft well, and can't afford to pay overs to keep players.

70 percent of there list is not from SA. Most of these players will receive offers from there home state on more money than adelaide can afford to pay.

They need an academy to even things up.

23. Crankyhawk

Crankyhawk Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    More dodee another Victorian potential flight risk.

24. ad victoriam

ad victoriam Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    CDFC
    Doedee No just signed a 2-year contract, Also not a Vic metro boy

25. FR0GGY

FR0GGY Press the button

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    CDFC
    Lol