Why can't Adelaide retain players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
45 players on our list mate.

Name 1 Star that has left in the last 10 years.

Maybe your club should start copying us, you would probably have a premiership right now if you did.
Oh yeah true because your club has won so many premiership hasnt it? Hate to break it to you but the 37 premierships don't count in the AFL mate.

On SM-T810 using BigFooty.com mobile app

if Lever nominates for the draft he nominates a contract.

4 years at $800000 per year is what has been reported he has accepted st Melbourne, any club that selects him in the draft is selecting him with that contract.

That's how Luke Ball slipped all the way to Collingwoods pick 30ish as no one else was prepared to accept his contract terms
North have money to burn though.

North have money to burn though.
So would a few clubs, just saying Lever isn't giving up money by entering the draft. Just might not get to the club he's after if another club is prepared to match that contract

4 years at $800000 per year is what has been reported he has accepted st Melbourne, any club that selects him in the draft is selecting him with that contract.

That's how Luke Ball slipped all the way to Collingwoods pick 30ish as no one else was prepared to accept his contract terms

I see. Thanks for the information. Makes sense .

Still a risk, may still end up at a club he doesn't want to be at.

I see. Thanks for the information. Makes sense .

Still a risk, may still end up at a club he doesn't want to be at.
Yea of course, could end up anywhere that a club is prepared to offer that contract.

Brisbane
GCS
Carlton
North Melbourne
Collingwood
Hawthorn
St Kilda
Western Bulldogs

At least 2 of those clubs have shown more than a passing interest in Jake. :) Brisbane would be funny. GCS would be comedy gold

Lmao. It's not a melt mate. It's a fact. Geelong's forward line is garbage. Chris Scott knows it too. This is why he rolled Danger through there.
Nice secondary melt and incorrectly informed response. You tried though :)

Perhaps, but again, no club wants to force a player to play for them. So, if Lever doesn't want to go to Brisbane or Pies, and Brisbane pick him in the draft regardless, they also need to consider picking a player that is forced to move there. That will end in tears for both. Again, Brisbane lose out with a wasted draft pick, when they could have picked another potential Lever instead of him.

Simply, the AFC, GCS, and every other club loses out in situations like these. Yes, the player might lose too, but common sense, calmness and clear thinking usually prevails, and clubs take the most scraps they can at the end of the day.
I know it seems that AFC is copping it most recently (Danger, Lever, and now Sloan), but most clubs have had to deal with similar situations.

(By the way, can you go over to Lever's place and "convince!" him that the Pies is the best place for him);)

This didn't start with Danger. It has been going on for the best part of a decade and it's not our fringe players we are losing but key men in our 22.

Brisbane
GCS
Carlton
North Melbourne
Collingwood
Hawthorn
St Kilda
Western Bulldogs

At least 2 of those clubs have shown more than a passing interest in Jake. :) Brisbane would be funny. GCS would be comedy gold
Adelaide don't want him entering the draft as they get nothing.

Melbourne don't want him entering the draft as there is a big chance they miss out on their guy

Lever doesn't want to enter the draft because he could be playing for the Gold Coast.

It's why a deal will get done, its why deals always get done every year and players don't enter the draft.

Adelaide don't want him entering the draft as they get nothing.

Melbourne don't want him entering the draft as there is a big chance they miss out on their guy

Lever doesn't want to enter the draft because he could be playing for the Gold Coast.

It's why a deal will get done, its why deals always get done every year and players don't enter the draft.
Jake just mentioned in an interview he will happily go into the PSD .. go figure (not sure that part was scripted)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lost Davis and Bock to new teams for money.
Lost Gunston as he was a mummy's boy.
Kept Danger for 7 years.
Lever another mummy's boy.
So I think we are just drafting the wrong players. Need to draft more Sa players and players with good character.

This didn't start with Danger. It has been going on for the best part of a decade and it's not our fringe players we are losing but key men in our 22.
Most clubs go through this. As i said originally, that is what the salary cap is designed to do. Teams that develop many good players can't keep them all because of the cap. Players will seek more money at clubs that have the cap space (ideally lower clubs that don't have many good players).
GWS can't keep all it's stars. GCS can't keep anyone!!. Brisbane also got whacked, and looking like it is happening still (but for other reasons than salary cap space).
But, AFC can pay up, and get Gibbs by the end of the fortnight..;)

Lost Davis and Bock to new teams for money.
Lost Gunston as he was a mummy's boy.
Kept Danger for 7 years.
Lever another mummy's boy.
So I think we are just drafting the wrong players. Need to draft more Sa players and players with good character.

Just keep picking the best players and get the right compensation.

It hasn't hurt your club to the point where they weren't competitive.

If this we're true Dangerfield would have asked for more money when he went to the Cats. Instead he did the right thing and stayed within Geelong's pay structure thus not weakening the side he was going to.

If you don't believe me, here's an article explaining it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g/news-story/fedc05ab0b0f16bd9e488972ca04e1c2

Honestly if you think what other players is paid isn't relevant to the discussion, you have no idea what a salary cap is.

See post above. Danger is a different case because he wanted to be in Moggs Creek and we were the only club that could offer him that. Plus I doubt he pays for anything anywhere in Geelong.

I know Jenkins was s**t in the GF but in the last four years he's kicked 40,46,62 & 45 goals. Plenty of sides would be more than happy with that kind of output. I'm not saying I'm a huge Jenkins fan but he doesn't deserve the s**t he's been copping around here lately. People are acting like he's the new Vickery.

How many were in the goal square though.. I'd say at least 100

So those goals weren't worth 6 points? I don't give two shits where he kicks them from as long as he kicks them.

He's a front runner, yeah players don't get as many touches or goals in losing teams but * me he's been horrific when you guys are losing.

In losses he averages:

9.8 touches and 3.5 marks per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back