Why can't Geelong and Richmond develop and keep their own ruckmen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Byron Porkett

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Incredible really when you think about it. These so called "powerhouse" clubs cannot for the life of them develop, then keep their own ruckmen.

Let's take a look at Richmond. As far as I can tell, their last good home-developed ruckman who was a one-club career was Brendan Gale. In between they've lost Ottens, Vickery and assorted other while adding in Nankervis, Maric, Stafford and Spud Hampson.

You'd have to go even further back with Geelong. For a club that once boasted greats such as Farmer and Newman, they've had to resort to bringing in Stanley (lol), Smith (lol), bringing back Barnes from Essendon and Ottens while losing Mumford, King and Blake. Quite concerning really.

Any reason why these two faux successful clubs can't develop and then keep their own ruckmen?

Geelong developed one of the greatest ruckman of the modern era ... Brad Ottens who was a forward at Richmond.

Incredible really when you think about it. These so called "powerhouse" clubs cannot for the life of them develop, then keep their own ruckmen.

Let's take a look at Richmond. As far as I can tell, their last good home-developed ruckman who was a one-club career was Brendan Gale. In between they've lost Ottens, Vickery and assorted other while adding in Nankervis, Maric, Stafford and Spud Hampson.

You'd have to go even further back with Geelong. For a club that once boasted greats such as Farmer and Newman, they've had to resort to bringing in Stanley (lol), Smith (lol), bringing back Barnes from Essendon and Ottens while losing Mumford, King and Blake. Quite concerning really.

Any reason why these two faux successful clubs can't develop and then keep their own ruckmen?
SpiderBurton246.jpg
upload_2018-6-24_11-50-14.jpeg

giphy.gif

One of the greatest? Lololol.
I don't think that's in question.

Then again this is Bay 13 so I'll play along.

Developing your own ruck can pay off in a big way but it can also mean 4-6 years of a list spot before they leave to go somewhere else for more money and you only get a 2nd or 3rd rounder back for them if you're lucky.

For every Max Gawn, there's a Sam Jacobs. One greatly aided the club that developed them, the other one didn't even though they are both quality players. Plus of course plenty of rucks just don't make it at all, although these days clubs are loathe to spend draft picks on rucks unless they are bloody good prospects. The few rucks that do get picked up in the first 2 rounds now have a pretty good track record in recent years with the rest going in the rookie drafts.

In my opinion the 'percentage play' is going after rucks with late/rookie picks and if it doesn't work then there's always someone not getting a go that wants to play as first ruck. Which seems to be the main strategy of most clubs these days. Grundy is probably the most notable exception in recent years and he slid a long way from the top 10 prospect he was rated as.

As for Geelong and Richmond. Geelong's ruck division is a major concern and probably looks to be something they need to do something about asap so they can get full value out of their talented midfield. Richmond have Nankervis who is a decent ruck, he's no superstar but he's good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruck are over rated anyway. Nank is the best around the ground ruck in the league. He's more like another mid, tall back or tall forward. Cant actually get a tap though and gives away 4-5 frees a game, but our dominance proves my theory anyway. We lose 80% of hit outs and clearances but then we just harass like fukk and win the ball back anyway. Its our game plan basically.

As for developing our own, keep your eyes and ears posted for big Ivan mark 2. Or Sir Ivan Soldo to you flogs. 8' 2" on his knees. Was a cat b rookie who has been developing very well in the VFL. But sure, we've had some real plodders before him.

You lost me Porky the minute you mentioned Vickers as a ruckmen.

We developed Nankers from a Swan also ran into a Premiership player?

Barnaby French Board you old puffer glubbering D.H!

Why can't Port rabbleaids develop more than one anything?

Now that's funny. Rapetank laughing at us. Kind of like the '**** kid who tells himself a joke in his own head, pisses himself laughing whilst everyone looks uncomfortable and bemused.

Of course I'll laugh. Is there an available 34 year old to recruit next year to drive your lot into premiership contention? Poor old Scott must be spewing that Murphy re-signed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back