Why cant Richmond finish off games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny u should ask...why do they seem to falter everytime they're in with a chance ?

ASK WALLACE

Once or twice might have been an accident but it happened again in yesterdays game...i specifically watched to see if he'd do it again....sure enough it was like clockwork.

Call me naive but my understanding is that AFL coaches usually try to win games for their members and fans....their job isnt to make sure the players have a bit of fun and shine their bums with a nice rest when the game is there to be won....perhaps this is just an error on Terry;s behalf...perhaps the pressure takes it toll...but perhaps there are others reasons he does it.

Let me ask a simple question....if you have a chance of winning with 5-10 minutes left on the clock who would be the last bloke you would take off the ground ? Would you take off the leading clearance player in the competition ?...would u ring down to the runner to extract the bloke that wins more ball out of the middle than anyone else ?...would you take off your best midfielder when you are 0-10 and a solid chance of winning ?...knowing u have no recognised ruckman on the paddock do u rid yourself of the bloke with the best chance of getting the ball off the other guys ?

Any particular reason for this magical tactic Terry ?...are you trying to win games or lose them ?...coz it wont be long before other people start asking the same question....ARE YOU TRYING TO WIN OR NOT ?...i hope for your sake it isnt the favorite way coaches have of making sure you DONT win.

People more cynical than me will eventually ask if you are tanking ...afterall this old tried and true tactic is the easiest way to guarantee a loss isnt it ?...not as tho we havent seen it done before right terry ?

Like clockwork again yesterday...Foley had a goal assist then sprinted off the ground when the game was there to be won with 5-10 minutes left....he wasnt tired, wasnt cramping up, wasnt injured in fact he didnt even seem to be blowing hard. A few goals down but the game there to be won if they are good enough so what do u do as coach ?...u ring down and TAKE FOLEY OFF....hmmmmm...nice tactic champ :thumbsu:

Yepp u guessed it....guess who came back on when it was out of reach with 3 minutes to go...NATHAN FOLEY...like clockwork it is whenever the game is up for grabs...he always seems to come back on after the horse has bolted.

Correct me if i'm wrong...but wouldnt u rather have your consistently good performers doing something other than spectating with the game in the balance ?....its normal to take a bloke off for a breather but doing it unnecessariily with a game in the balance inst really the stuff of winners Terry....or is there some other reason u arnt particularly interested in winning ?...or is it just one of those unfortunate mistakes ?

btw...i get sick of hearing commentators say "they gave it a good crack" and never stating the obvious during the game...nor does the media ever want to ask the difficult questions during the week.

Its called GUT RUNNING...the last 5-10mins is kinda important... and with 5 minutes to go you DO NOT move or take off the blokes that are killing it for you when only a 2-3 goals behind.

I guarantee if asked Wallace will just say he was stuffed coz what other possible explaination can there be ?

I wont be the only one watching next week to see if he gets "moved forward" with 10 minutes to go or taken off for a "breather"...only to return when there's no chance.

Probably because about 14 of our 22 were young blokes with only a handful of preseasons. Nobody else is playing close to that many.

I must apologise for posting facts before, I didn't realise people were only meant to post stupidity in this thread.

I must admit they dont have the most talented bunch of players in the comp but most of their games they have been in winning positions and choked!

I blame it not only on Wallace but the fitness gurus at Punt Road. Their players cannot finish off games. They play 3 good quarters and run out of breath in the final quarter.

RD 1: RICH 85-77 CARL [3 QTR TIME]
RD 2: RICH 63-67 SYD [3 QTR TIME]
RD 3: RICH 52-30 COLL [HALF TIME]
RD 9: RICH UP by 20 points with 5 minutes to go
RD 10: Draw with Brisbane
RD 11: up by 20 at qtr time, up by 13 at half time

their a team that defies logic. never i have seen a team run out of puff like richmond do. And after all these close results people come out and say richmond did well. Fact is they should have won at least half of these games and havent. Whoever the fitness coach and training programmer at Richmond are they should have a deep look at themselves.

Richmond = learn to play 4 quarters of football, not 2 and 1/2.

Sorry? Have you seen any of Carlton's games between round 5 and 10? - Thats running out of puff.

Confidence!!!!!!

once they get one win under their belts the confidence will come to be able to finish off more games.

but the lack of experienced and quality players also plays a big part aswell.

Can't believe the Tiges lost yesterday. If there was ever a team ripe for the picking it was Freo. I still can't believe so many people had this undisciplined mob pencilled in as premiership contenders at the start of the season.

Is it the finishing off that's the problem, or the amount of skill errors they produce which result in the opposition scoring a goal. At least 8 of Freo's goals yesterday came direct from a Richmond skill error.

No heart or courage.
LOL, a Geelong supporter talking about heart and courage as if they know something about it!

Once a few of these kids, and alot of them are still kids, get a couple more pre seasons and weight sessions under their belts, I think you will see them run other teams off their feet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terry Wallace again coming out and saying it was a brave effort. Fact is Terry, a loss is a loss. There is no value, in an 'honourable loss' in my book.

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace says his team's first half against Fremantle yesterday is evidence the second part of the season will be more productive than the first.

His optimism is based on the sparkling efforts of youngsters Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling that helped set up a 26-point halftime lead at Subiaco Oval.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21883539%5E20322,00.html

Terry Wallace again coming out and saying it was a brave effort. Fact is Terry, a loss is a loss. There is no value, in an 'honourable loss' in my book.

Let's face it, no matter what he says the bulk of bigfooty (due to the high proportion of idiots) would be complaining and criticising.

Bollox you make some interesting points regarding what happens but all teams do it, they rotate their midfield so when the game is up for grabs at the end of the game they have their stars on the ground. The major problem with the Tigers at present is Foley is about the only consistently good midfielder we have, Tuck has been carrying an injury and has only just started to get back to somewhere near his best footy, Johnson is not a noted hard ball winner, does a fair job in restricting an opponent but is not someone we can count on for 10 disposals in 15 minutes to turn a game.

The rest of the group is made up of light weight kids who don't have Foley's ability at clearances and stoppages. This is where we sorely miss Coughlan because he was that other bloke that would rotate with Foley as the in & under player to feed the ball out. I was listening to the Dons/WCE game on Friday night and the MMM commentators were surprised to see Judd playing at FF with about 10 minutes to go when he would normally be off the ground getting 2-3 minutes rest before coming back for one finals burst, they can do things like that because they have players like Kerr, Braun, Embley, Cousins Steinglien to rotate into the guts and know they are not going to lose much in the period Judd is missing. When Wallace rests Foley with about 10 minutes to go what he is hoping for is the side can hold on and then when Foley does return 2-3 minutes later they are still in position to get the win.

The 2 games against Essendon and Lions Foley spent the whole last quarter on the ground IIRC and by the last 2-3 minutes was spent and could not go any more. Remember this is a kid with 30 odd games to his name not some 100-150 gamer with a few pre seasons under his belt.

The reason it happens is that we dont have a ruckmen. Pattison tries hard to ruck the entire game but obviously gets very tired towards the end. It means either he gets absolutely smashed late in the ruck or Polak goes in which totally wrecks our defensive structure (and he gets beaten in the ruck anyway). We had Cleve Hughes in the ruck at stages yesterday :eek:

I think last year we won plenty of close games and Simmonds was the key to this. He wont hit proper fitness until very late in the year (if at all) but atleast when he comes back we can have 2 players share the ruck and we will definetly finish games off much better.

Bollox you make some interesting points regarding what happens but all teams do it, they rotate their midfield so when the game is up for grabs at the end of the game they have their stars on the ground. The major problem with the Tigers at present is Foley is about the only consistently good midfielder we have, Tuck has been carrying an injury and has only just started to get back to somewhere near his best footy, Johnson is not a noted hard ball winner, does a fair job in restricting an opponent but is not someone we can count on for 10 disposals in 15 minutes to turn a game.

The rest of the group is made up of light weight kids who don't have Foley's ability at clearances and stoppages. This is where we sorely miss Coughlan because he was that other bloke that would rotate with Foley as the in & under player to feed the ball out. I was listening to the Dons/WCE game on Friday night and the MMM commentators were surprised to see Judd playing at FF with about 10 minutes to go when he would normally be off the ground getting 2-3 minutes rest before coming back for one finals burst, they can do things like that because they have players like Kerr, Braun, Embley, Cousins Steinglien to rotate into the guts and know they are not going to lose much in the period Judd is missing. When Wallace rests Foley with about 10 minutes to go what he is hoping for is the side can hold on and then when Foley does return 2-3 minutes later they are still in position to get the win.

The 2 games against Essendon and Lions Foley spent the whole last quarter on the ground IIRC and by the last 2-3 minutes was spent and could not go any more. Remember this is a kid with 30 odd games to his name not some 100-150 gamer with a few pre seasons under his belt.

You're exactly right. Perfectly said. :thumbsu:

GO TIGES!!!

Because they hate me and wanted me to lose my bet on the

$1 : $44 odds..

That was for tipping Geelong / Not Sure / Richmond / Melbourne

Sucks...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back