Why did North Melbourne chase Dusty and Kelly now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
I have just barely kept up with the games this year so have had very little clue about who was potential on the trading block and the strengths of the draft, or opponent's lists to be honest. Having said that there was plenty of news around about such public chasing of two players at other clubs. I have also noticed that after scraping into a few prelims they gave up on the list they were building under Scott and begun a root and branch rebuild by delisting a few legends of the game.

I personally wince when I hear Essendon may be involved in a trade like Kelly. Yes he is maybe the best young mid in the game, but when they are not FA then the price is too high. Even a smaller club like North can get all the money they need to pay out a whole list these days so the only commodity that is both free and priceless is draft picks. This can be especially bad for teams trying to rebuild. A player comes in who isn't part of that and pushes them up the ladder too quickly. This isn't just about getting higher picks next year, it is about the players being given the responsibility on match day and having the list form naturally as you find the right players for the roles you need.

As long as Essendon has enough brown paper bags room in the salary cap, then I am all for FA. The other team normally gets some compensation and it cost us nothing. The player who has now built his future around playing footy also gets to transition to a new work place with a lot less stress.

What were North thinking when trying to do this now? They have years to go before they're even middle of the road. They need to be going to the draft, for the reasons above. Also getting a gun player like Dusty makes sense for a young team on the fringes of the 8 and have a hole in the list that he fills. Essendon is a good example of a young 6th-12th team who is lacking very good inside mids. St Kilda may want some extra midfield pace. Doggies and Melbourne would want KPDs.

I personally think North have dodged a bullet with both of these guys saying no. It was the wrong time for them. Having said that it was really embarrassing to act like the little brother to the whole league.

How do North fans think about it? Despite those two potentially being the best mid in his peak and best mid entering his peak, does anyone else think that this was also a stupid list strategy? Shouldn't North be now front loading for two more seasons where they draft heavily, then go hard with a war chest?

Getting rid of those 'legends' was absolutely the right move. Dal Santo was finished and average for North, Petrie was a liability in his last year at North, Firrito was meh, Boomer wouldn't of done much to help north this year. Cunnington and Brown are good players to build a team around.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Getting rid of those 'legends' was absolutely the right move. Dal Santo was finished and average for North, Petrie was a liability in his last year at North, Firrito was meh, Boomer wouldn't of done much to help north this year. Cunnington and Brown are good players to build a team around.

I wasn't saying that was the wrong thing to do, nor was I saying it was right. I was saying that trading in big this year would not help them long term.

I wasn't saying that was the wrong thing to do, nor was I saying it was right. I was saying that trading in big this year would not help them long term.
I reckon it was almost to help the club get more members and prime time games for years to come. Commonsense that a bottom two team offering big money for one player isn't the smartest move.

So you weren't saying it was the wrong thing to do, you were just saying it was a stupid list strategy?
Righteo.

So you weren't saying it was the wrong thing to do, you were just saying it was a stupid list strategy?
Righteo.

That comment you quoted of mine was about getting rid of the elderly. I don't have an opinion either way on that.

This thread is so stupid.how would getting a gun 23 year old Kelly not help? Please

On E6853 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because what you would pay for him would kill your rebuild. While you're a bottom 4 side this year and potentially for another 2 years you need to be going to the draft with your top picks.

That comment you quoted of mine was about getting rid of the elderly. I don't have an opinion either way on that.

Because what you would pay for him would kill your rebuild. While you're a bottom 4 side this year and potentially for another 2 years you need to be going to the draft with your top picks.
Agree not to agree I guess.

Getting a guarenteed gun for probably 2 first rounders

Vs

Using the two first rounders in hope they will be guns

Think I know what I'd take. Don't think out list is that bad that it would stuff up our rebuild.

I just don't see how this helps you win a premiership. Going all out with trades like this only works when you have a team that is around 3-8 on the ladder and missing a key ingredient. Good examples I can think of are Geelong with Ottens and Hawthorn with Key Backs. Doing it now hamstrings your rebuild.

Anyone in the industry would know this. Any intelligent observer of the industry would also know this. So to go against this in such a public begging manner, and then get turned down is humiliating. It hurts your standing in the future when trying to trade for players when you need that cream on the hopefully well established cake.

The only exception to this opinion in the industry are losers like Barrett. They are obsessed with "big fish" because it gives them something to write about. They have little to no actual knowledge about how one is successful in the game and need this sort of drama to write something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't see how this helps you win a premiership. Going all out with trades like this only works when you have a team that is around 3-8 on the ladder and missing a key ingredient. Good examples I can think of are Geelong with Ottens and Hawthorn with Key Backs. Doing it now hamstrings your rebuild.

Anyone in the industry would know this. Any intelligent observer of the industry would also know this. So to go against this in such a public begging manner, and then get turned down is humiliating. It hurts your standing in the future when trying to trade for players when you need that cream on the hopefully well established cake.

The only exception to this opinion in the industry are losers like Barrett. They are obsessed with "big fish" because it gives them something to write about. They have little to no actual knowledge about how one is successful in the game and need this sort of drama to write something.
I'm.sure no one seen the tigers being a grand final side...added prestia caddy and nank

Dusty and Kelly into the roos mix could have done the same.

But I guess you just hate north. I'm fine with that

What did you make of Richmond giving up a first and a second rounder for Prestia and Caddy when they had just finished 13th and lost seven of their last nine matches?

Martin was extremely close to joining, as was Kelly (who will be coming in two years). Add them both and a soft draw in 2018 and it's very conceivable North could have been pushing for a top four spot, such is the evenness of the competition.

A club like North can't win anyway. Fade into the background and we're irrelevant. But have a bold crack at players and we're desperate and should know our place. What do you do?

I do not agree with this.

Richmond went from 13th to the grand final with minimal tweaks in 12 months.
The Bulldogs went from 14th to premiers in 2 years.

We have entered a much more dynamic era in football.

What did you make of Richmond giving up a first and a second rounder for Prestia and Caddy when they had just finished 13th and lost seven of their last nine matches?

Martin was extremely close to joining, as was Kelly (who will be coming in two years). Add them both and a soft draw in 2018 and it's very conceivable North could have been pushing for a top four spot, such is the evenness of the competition.

A club like North can't win anyway. Fade into the background and we're irrelevant. But have a bold crack at players and we're desperate and should know our place. What do you do?
Someone who has sense. I wouldn't bother arguing with this guy about it tho.
If we actually had a good run with injury for a change we'd be ok. Even with last year's list we were very competitive.
All not doom and gloom. Just needed to nab a couple of good mids. Unfortunately we missed.

I do not agree with this.

Richmond went from 13th to the grand final with minimal tweaks in 12 months.
The Bulldogs went from 14th to premiers in 2 years.

We have entered a much more dynamic era in football.

Both teams had a lot more going for them. Despite their fall from grace this year the doggies still have the most amount of players in the squad for under 22 AA team. Richmond did fall away last year but had a solid core group in the the 22-28 age range and were in finals contention for many years prior to last year.

North are at the beginning of a root and branch rebuild.

I'm.sure no one seen the tigers being a grand final side...added prestia caddy and nank

Dusty and Kelly into the roos mix could have done the same.

But I guess you just hate north. I'm fine with that

I don't hate North. I find the bigfooty readers thinking there is some sort of rivalry irritating. Yes we had an onfield rivalry in the 90s but I just can't see any other connections between the clubs, other than North trying to play funny buggers nearly 100 years ago and then getting caught with their pants down.

I think there is a lot more to Richmond than that. I am surprised that they're in the GF still. I wouldn't have predicted it a month ago. However, 18 months ago I had them down as grand finalists for 2016. This solid part of their list has stood up.

How has Presia and Caddy made such a big difference this year? It has more to do with how they have changed their front end play and the continuing improvement of Rance and Dusty plus a massive increase in output by Cotchin.

Richmond actually prove my point. If you look at last year as an aberration, then adding some players to bolster weaknesses to an already fairly strong list is a good trading strategy.

Both teams had a lot more going for them. Despite their fall from grace this year the doggies still have the most amount of players in the squad for under 22 AA team. Richmond did fall away last year but had a solid core group in the the 22-28 age range and were in finals contention for many years prior to last year.

North are at the beginning of a root and branch rebuild.

Root and Branch is way over the top.

We have already blooded 13 players in 2017 and most of them look good. None of them have been delisted.

Put Martin & Kelly in our best side and we would be pressing for the top 4 inside 24 months.

We dipped out, so I suspect we will go to the draft for a couple of seasons, seek to pick up some RFA/UFA's and get another 20-40 games in to the blokes we blooded this year.

There was only 2 x 30 year olds in the top 10 of our B&F this season (7th & 9th)..

Because they were out of contract and North had the cash to splash.

I personally think they should keep going with the next three drafts and banking that cash with front loading long contracts to their better kids. This way they get the rebuild right continue with a scatter gun approach to player roles in the draft and then go to trade for the areas that they didn't cover in a few years time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back