Why did North Melbourne chase Dusty and Kelly now?

Remove this Banner Ad

What did you make of Richmond giving up a first and a second rounder for Prestia and Caddy when they had just finished 13th and lost seven of their last nine matches?

Martin was extremely close to joining, as was Kelly (who will be coming in two years). Add them both and a soft draw in 2018 and it's very conceivable North could have been pushing for a top four spot, such is the evenness of the competition.

A club like North can't win anyway. Fade into the background and we're irrelevant. But have a bold crack at players and we're desperate and should know our place. What do you do?

12 months ago, people were laughing at Richmond after the debacle of the Yarran trade. Before that people laughed at the Dogs for overpaying for Tom Boyd.
I also recall many "experts" congratulating my Pies when we picked up the likes of Treloar, Aish, Adams etc in trade periods. Things aren't always what they seem

My point is that it's easy for us experts to provide opinions on various trade scenarios when the reality is that we don't know how injuries, coaching, and good ol-fashioned luck are going to impact the success or otherwise of these trades.

I had no issue with North chasing Dusty and JK. The salary cap impacts can be managed and I'd rather go for known quantities like Dusty than gamble on a couple of kids who may or may not make it (and would take at least 2 years to be of full value). The other reality is that few draftees are instant hits like Judd. North had a #3 pick years ago in Lachie Hansen and while serviceable, hardly a match-winner.

Well done North for having a go. While I don't necessarily rate your coach, your list management approach makes sense.

If the Bulldogs and Richmond have proven anything, it's that a flag can be won by any club that has a good run with luck.

Just take a close look at the Richmond premiership side. There would be 8 players in that side that couldn't get a game in your best 22.

lol there is no amount of luck in this universe that could get North’s current list near a flag. It’s a potatoe farm on bad soil.

Did you think the same with Richmond last year when they lost to us by 18 goals and finished 13th with a percentage of 79?

The Bulldogs finished 14th in 2014.:rolleyes:

The reason why the North fans are copping it here is because they made outlandish comment's during the Dusty/Kelly negotiations and were across all boards rubbing salt into the fans GWS and Tigers as well as mouthing off to other supporters about how much money they had to spend.

Even now we get comments like Cunninton is better than Dusty etc etc or Claims that the team participating and eventually winning the grand final has Glaring Holes & This from people who support North Melbourne.

I think a person needs to learn & Know their limitations and know when to fold the cards, They all know Dusty isn't getting $1.5 mil and they also know there is no extra Puma money - God the Coach even laughed and joked about it in his speach

Time for the Roo's Supporters to go away and move on as they need to build a club and culture before players will go there, If they continue to remain uncompetative in 2 years there is no chance Kelly will consider going there and will do a judd and head to either Carlton or Collingwood or who ever he see's as a finals contender or even stay at GWS

Its not all about money and as Dusty has proven players will stay for less, He could potentially earn and extra 3-4 million in his career just by staying a loyal 1 club player for a team with potentially over 100,000 members in 2-3 years

I'm done - Good night gents

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting thread. The OP started in one direction and has headed off toward Saturn.

The actual reason North went for the 2 best mids was ... they are the 2 best AFL mids and were out of contract.

North wanted to try and short cut a rebuild they need. Nothing wrong with that. Just probably unlikely to lead to a premiership.

Then the rest of the thread is self manipulation, strange comments about the merits of the premiers list and attacks on pother posters.

So a normal BF thread really. :D

Anyway, I'm a happy chappy. So who cares, the world is GOOOOD

22207508_800620533445911_721185206_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back