Why did the game devolve into the current dog's breakfast?

Remove this Banner Ad

... Saints were up by a goal at 3 quarter time and they only kicked 9.11.65. Saints kicked 3 more behinds in the final quarter kicking 9.14.68. I watched that 2nd and 3rd quarter of tha 2009 GF. Saints sprayed their shots. They sould of kicked 1549.3 or 15.8.98 that day.

1549 goals would have been a pretty good return. Port supporters would have been forever grateful.

Sent from mTalk

I have these two geezer at the top of my list as culprits for the state of the game in 2018, i call 2005 and 2006 the Dark Ages of football. The era of the flood, the era of crap unwatchable football and now some dozen years later we have the era of total unwatchable football. Lyon has no football creativity, no flare, no imagination. There is no creative risk taking with his coaching.
I don't blame Roos - he had a workmanlike team with a tough streak and an excellent ruckman, and so he had to work with the choking-up of the game in order to get his side across the line.

Lyon, on the other hand...

Today's WCE Vs GWS match prooved games don't need to be shootouts to be enjoyable.

It wasn't that high scoring but it was a fierce contest.
It was still a much more open game than has become the standard. Players had the freedom to show their skills. That’s essentially what we want. It was a great game but they are definitely the exception these days. More common are the U7 soccer recreations where almost every player is in one third of the ground. The AFL needs to figure out a way to make games like Sunday night the standard, not the exception.

Standings is the American term; table is English / European; ladder is Australian; and it's all the same s**t.

Yeah you catch on quick mate. Ive already established I don't follow AFL week to week anymore. I'm more likely to use standings and table because I follow American Football and soccer more and AFL less these days.

My point was you clearly never did. Your use of word standings,showed it.

It's getting worse by the week. The game is at an all time low for me.

4 games I watched over the weekend, Sydney v Geelong, Bulldogs v Hawthorn, Melbourne v Freo & North v Suns were all over officiated, congested, error riddled shite. When it wasn't congested it was soft uncontested keeping's off rubbish.

Not only would I not pay to see any other club in this competition play football at the moment, it's becoming a chore just to go along and watch my own.

Personally feel like the “state of the game” discussion has been a media driven problem that has swept up a small percentage of supporters into believing that something needs fixing instead of waiting for the game to grow naturally as it always seems to have done.

Personally feel like the “state of the game” discussion has been a media driven problem that has swept up a small percentage of supporters into believing that something needs fixing instead of waiting for the game to grow naturally as it always seems to have done.

A glass of water tastes like cognac to a thirsty man.

You have seen your club come from nowhere after 3 plus decades of shite, so psychologically you're not well positioned to make a balanced judgement.

A glass of water tastes like cognac to a thirsty man.

You have seen your club come from nowhere after 3 plus decades of shite, so psychologically you're not well positioned to make a balanced judgement.

Oh, I forgot that ladder position of my team determines the worthiness of my opinion. Sorry.

Best of luck with the extended goal squares.

Oh, I forgot that ladder position of my team determines the worthiness of my opinion. Sorry.

No, I didn't say that.

I pointed out the psychological impact of Richmond's very recent successful run, when weighted against a lifetime of struggle, is bound to affect a distorted outlook on your behalf, rather than a balanced overview of the situation.

Unless of course you're less than 30 years old, in which case you simply wouldn't have a clue.

Last edited:
No, I didn't say that.

I pointed out the psychological impact of Richmond's very recent successful run, weighted against an lifetime of struggle, is bound to affect a distorted outlook on your behalf, rather than a balanced overview of the situation.

Unless of course you're less than 30 years old, in which case you simply wouldn't have a clue.
Yet I remember North being Shyte for like forever before the mid seventies.......

Does that distort your opinion?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet I remember North being Shyte for like forever before the mid seventies.......

Does that distort your opinion?

No, it's basically a fact. There's various reasons, but it is a fact.

I reckon there's plenty of evidence that the game is vastly less visually appealing than it was fifteen years ago right in front of our eyes every weekend, and it has been since the advent of the defensive press. You don't need the media to recognise that.

No, I didn't say that.

I pointed out the psychological impact of Richmond's very recent successful run, weighted against an lifetime of struggle, is bound to affect a distorted outlook on your behalf, rather than a balanced overview of the situation.

And it's completely true. Look, I don't think I've seen better footy to watch than Geelong's 2007-08 sides, but that has so much to do with my own personal bias that it's ridiculous.

No, I didn't say that.

I pointed out the psychological impact of Richmond's very recent successful run, when weighted against a lifetime of struggle, is bound to affect a distorted outlook on your behalf, rather than a balanced overview of the situation.

It’s okay, I have already apologised for my team’s success. Please save some posting for the Carlton fans.

It’s okay, I have already apologised for my team’s success. Please save some posting for the Carlton fans.

I'm not asking you to do that. I am asking for a balanced overview of the entire competition. This thread is about the fall of quality football in the competition, not Richmond. Richmond just makes up 1/18th of the problem.

I'm not asking you to do that. I am asking for a balanced overview of the entire competition. This thread is about the fall of quality football in the competition, not Richmond. Richmond just makes up 1/18th of the problem.

I tried to give a balanced view with my first post and you turned it into a Richmond thing. So I’m unsure what more you want from me besides maybe a hug?

I tried to give a balanced view with my first post and you turned it into a Richmond thing. So I’m unsure what more you want from me besides maybe a hug?

He assured me my opinion was due to my team’s list make up the other day. Told another guy he must be a sjw because of his football opinions. Needs more than a hug

My point was you clearly never did. Your use of word standings,showed it.

You seem to think you know a lot, even though I explained why use those terms. How about regular season and League instead of home and away season and premiership? What about schedule instead of fixture? Does that convince you even more?

s**t thing about the main board these days. no one can post a rational argument without the team they support somehow being used against them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back