Why did the game devolve into the current dog's breakfast?

Remove this Banner Ad

For the most part the game is fine, really stating to get sick of the whinging. Players are more skilled than ever before (apart from set shots, arguably)

Less congestion and more scoring would be nice but it's basically just coaching to the best way with modern ultra fit players. Short of putting up lines on the field with netball like rules there is no way you will ever stop it.

All these 'ideas' you read on here from the 'ideas men' posters and nimrod ex-players in the media (that love this rubbish to give them a purpose) will do NOTHING to stop it.

Last edited:

Strongly believe number of rotations plus professional level fitness had caused this. Reduce rotations hugely... leave the best players on the field and prevent players being able to congest wherever the ball is.
Another is the amount of scragging going on before a player takes possession. Either get dragged down or pushed in the back with no consequence.

Strongly believe number of rotations plus professional level fitness had caused this. Reduce rotations hugely... leave the best players on the field and prevent players being able to congest wherever the ball is.
Another is the amount of scragging going on before a player takes possession. Either get dragged down or pushed in the back with no consequence.

I just don’t think reducing rotations would work as well as people think because more athletes would just get recruited. Players who can run out a whole game no problem but their not natural footballers so you get a drop in skill level. We are already seeing that in small quantities but it would get much worst.

The game has been great the last month. Clear up some of the rules to make it easier for umpires and we are set. North Sydney game, eagles Collingwood, Geelong crows, Brisbane hawthorn all good watchable games.

Maybe we can rid of this bullshit of players running off the ground when they kick a goal. Embarrassing laughable.
Yeah!! I've never had it explained to me why this happens. The goal kicker might be on a roll, full of confidence, and bingo, off he comes

Binnnnngo. This really is about the state of the whole game, and very few teams (perhaps Essendon and Melbourne, who seem to play the most attack-minded footy) are immune to criticism on that front.

Essendon and Melbourne can still serve up some absolute s**t, ironically our games against each other have been s**t to watch for a long time.

Yeah!! I've never had it explained to me why this happens. The goal kicker might be on a roll, full of confidence, and bingo, off he comes
Because they would be scheduled to come of at the next break in play. Happens all the time, you only notice when it's the goalkicker, as the camera is on them.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reduce the team number from 22 down to 20 and instruct the umpires to be way firmer with their implementation of the rules.

With less players to work with in a match, tactics will change & fitness levels will be tested. In turn, I believe the rolling maul should be reduced or lessened somewhat.

The other bonus is that there will be another 36 players not getting a senior game, will either improve the reserves or lower level grades as well as possibly seeing a little more player movement between clubs (ie. looking for a permanent senior game).

With the umpiring, if they are instructed to pay the first free kick, reward the first tackle etc, then it should go some way towards reducing the congestion aspect of the game.

Do these two things for one season, assess it at the end of that season and only then make some additional adjustments if necessary.

The discussion about the state of the game has become louder in the last year or 2. This coincides with the reduction in rotations.

Have coaches reacted to fewer rotations by trying to keep the ball in tight to reduce fatigue on their players. More rest might equal more run and spread and open football.

I am not saying don’t further reduce rotations, but might be a case of being careful what we wish for

Interesting also that with all of this talk about congestion, the state of the game, and proposed rule changes, that the quality and openness of a number of games has improved.

Have coaches seen the writing on the wall and loosened up a bit to throw the AFL off the scent

Reduce the team number from 22 down to 20 and instruct the umpires to be way firmer with their implementation of the rules.

With less players to work with in a match, tactics will change & fitness levels will be tested. In turn, I believe the rolling maul should be reduced or lessened somewhat.

The other bonus is that there will be another 36 players not getting a senior game, will either improve the reserves or lower level grades as well as possibly seeing a little more player movement between clubs (ie. looking for a permanent senior game).

With the umpiring, if they are instructed to pay the first free kick, reward the first tackle etc, then it should go some way towards reducing the congestion aspect of the game.

Do these two things for one season, assess it at the end of that season and only then make some additional adjustments if necessary.

What if 3 players have to come off at same time with blood rule ?
That was original reason bench went from 2 to 3.
So for OH&S reasons I think we are stuck at 4 unfortunately. Think best thing is just make it you can interchange about 30 times which should be plenty for all the players forced off for injuries from time to time. Removes the rotations that not needed but still maintains an interchange system for injuries and general tactics of taking talls off for smalls etc etc.

Interesting also that with all of this talk about congestion, the state of the game, and proposed rule changes, that the quality and openness of a number of games has improved.

Have coaches seen the writing on the wall and loosened up a bit to throw the AFL off the scent
Dont think so. I cant see coaches executing game plans for the "good of the sport" or to make more "entertainment". There will always be good and bad games, but there is no denying there has been a massive increase in s**t games this year. A couple of good games in a couple of rounds dosent magically fix anything. I dont really like the idea, but the game needs help. Quickly.

What if 3 players have to come off at same time with blood rule ?
That was original reason bench went from 2 to 3.
So for OH&S reasons I think we are stuck at 4 unfortunately. Think best thing is just make it you can interchange about 30 times which should be plenty for all the players forced off for injuries from time to time. Removes the rotations that not needed but still maintains an interchange system for injuries and general tactics of taking talls off for smalls etc etc.

Stiff s**t !!

If it happens it happens.

Good luck getting that over the line with players association.
Got to get more real man. Getting back to 2 on bench is not going to happen. I'd love it personally but that will not get through players association at all.

Players association want shorter games, shorter season & higher pay, they are counter-productive to everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back