Analysis Why did we stop running in 2nd half? (2nd Showdown 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Get in Luke Hodges ear.
Couldn't stand him as an opposition player but his ability to lead and inspire are second to none. Doubt Clarko would have had half the success he did during his golden period without Hodge.
He is dirty, ruthless and hard as nails which IMO are all taits this club had needed for a bloody long time.Added bonus is his football intelect.
He would probably fail our Psych assessment though unfortunately.
Would try and get hodge, bartel and bassett. A good trio who all know football and take no s**t.

Currently the team is not playing as a team. I have seen enough football to know a team that plays with pride and passion for the guernsey and one another. There is something inherently broken at this club.
Yeah, I have to agree with this.
Something is happening, internally, that is causing the lack of effort we saw in that second half vs PA.
I don't know if it's within the players themselves or players being unhappy with selection, or with Pyke or Hart/Campo, but there is something seriously wrong.
I saw Tex's presser yesterday and he was unconvincing. Actually, came across as a bit clueless. Is he not especially bright? He talked about responsibility going all the way to Sloane and himself, then talked about some players (including Sloane and himself) as if they were actually immune from being dropped:

Yeah, I have to agree with this.
Something is happening, internally, that is causing the lack of effort we saw in that second half vs PA.
I don't know if it's within the players themselves or players being unhappy with selection, or with Pyke or Hart/Campo, but there is something seriously wrong.
I saw Tex's presser yesterday and he was unconvincing. Actually, came across as a bit clueless. Is he not especially bright? He talked about responsibility going all the way to Sloane and himself, then talked about some players (including Sloane and himself) as if they were actually immune from being dropped:
Yeah i agree. He was smiling as he said it which i didnt like. Came across as insincere and not authentic. Like he was rolled out there and told what to say. Was ironic as he is one of the major problems. I just hope the youth aren't indoctrinated with this bad culture that has existed with the senior bunch for some time. The quicker the senior bunch are removed Blighty style the better imo.

So much hand wringing at the forwards when the midfield generated 13 I50’s in the entire second half.

We could have had Lockett, Ablett snr and Dunstall and it won’t help if the ball isn’t in the area.

Our midfield was annihilated in the 2nd half.

In the first half they won some ball but defensively they continually gave up the corridor which allowed Port to stay in the game via efficiency.

So much hand wringing at the forwards when the midfield generated 13 I50’s in the entire second half.

We could have had Lockett, Ablett snr and Dunstall and it won’t help if the ball isn’t in the area.

In the first half they won some ball but defensively they continually gave up the corridor which allowed Port to stay in the game via efficiency.
And against Geelong in the second half.

This kind of thing happens a lot, both TO us and BY us, in plenty of games. If we could bottle the magic elixir that flicked the magic switch that turned PA "ON" in the second quarter, we'd be rich.
Teams get a run-on, the energy is infectious and spreads across the ground; players get involved and want to run and back up more. Conversely, the other team gets a bit hesitant and a bit fumbly (terribly, in our case last Saturday), mistakes pile upon mistakes and players stop taking risks. Instead of hunting the ball pro-actively they watch the fired-up players do what they should be doing themselves, and everything they do becomes reactive or static.
PA are win/lose inconsistent.
The Crows' inconsistency happens at just about any time, in any game. We play patches like Premiers (rarely a full game), get ahead and then --- what? I don't know. They stop. They take their foot off teams' throats and let them back in so that a should-be thrashing becomes a 3-4 goal win, sometimes even a 5-goal lead gets overrun and we lose, or a tight game becomes a loss.
A good team would bounce right back. We should thrash the Suns this week, get some %age and the 4 points. It'd be crack-papering.
After the second-half crap the Crows served up against PA it won't surprise me if the GCS get some energy and run us into a loss --- at least that would trigger some serious changes (I'd hope!).

Yeah i agree. He was smiling as he said it which i didnt like. Came across as insincere and not authentic. Like he was rolled out there and told what to say. Was ironic as he is one of the major problems. I just hope the youth aren't indoctrinated with this bad culture that has existed with the senior bunch for some time. The quicker the senior bunch are removed Blighty style the better imo.
And the irony is that Walker mentioned himself and Sloanie being dropped in the same breath - ok so Sloane didn't have a great game Saturday - what, probably for the first time this season? On the other hand, can anyone remind me how many GOOD games Walker has had this year.... ????...

Did we stop running or did Ports run make it look like we were standing still?
We had second half fade-outs against Geelong and PA after the bye, but ran the GCS game out until junk time when they got some cheap goals.
John Who, could it be that the Coaches trained them into the ground during the bye and flattened them, inadvertantly?

We had second half fade-outs against Geelong and PA after the bye, but ran the GCS game out until junk time when they got some cheap goals.
John Who, could it be that the Coaches trained them into the ground during the bye and flattened them, inadvertantly?
I think firstly it's important to distinguish between the 2 second-half fade-outs against Cats and Power:
1. Typical fade out against the better team, mainly due to running out of puff and skills become more wonky - against the Cats was a typical result of most teams playing against them. Losing against them over there is no real shame, consider all the other teams have lost this year (except GWS, Cats losing by less than 1 goal margin).

2. Shocking out-of-nowhere, playing-the-better-football, having-more-scoring-shots, then-suddenly-stopping-to-a-halt, fade-out.
This was a totally perplexing outcome after watching the first half dominance. I don't think it's due to fitness alone, considering after the bye we ran the game out well enough against Cats and Gold Coast. Most likely a mental thing, a period of sporting "mental lapse in concentration". Possibly made worse due to our atrocious goal kicking in the first half (demoralising effect), and our personnel/gameplan who haven't got the leg speed to combat the Power's leg speed, particularly when they're on song.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are the fade outs we've had.
Round 1 Hawks - 2 goals to 6 after half time
Round 3 Cats - 4 goals to 8 in the first half
Round 4 Kangas - 2 goals to 6 after half time
Roubd 10 Wet Toast - 3 goals to 10 after half time
Round 15 Cats - 3 goals to 7 after half time
Round 16 Port Powder - 1 goal to 9 after half time

And if I remember correctly the first showdown this year Port kicked a heap of unanswered goals to get themselves back in the game after half time.

Our fade outs are a trend and our coaching group have shown they have no answers.

The game last night answered squat.

Those are some horrible numbers. I didn't realise it was that bad.

And if I remember correctly the first showdown this year Port kicked a heap of unanswered goals to get themselves back in the game after half time.

Our fade outs are a trend and our coaching group have shown they have no answers.

The game last night answered squat.
No, it did answer the fact that we're physically fit enough. Sure, it wasn't a great spectacle by any means, but we performed as well (or better) as any other teams this year against the Suns over there. This overall suggests to me that the last half fade out last week was due to a mental lapse in concentration, and a very prolonged one at that!

The Cats in Rd 3 showed we were actually matching it with them in the second half, so can't really classify that as a "fade-out".
If you look at all the other losses in Rd 1, 4, 10, 15; they are the typical losses and the typical fade-out result in a loss, with the West Coast loss having more "a bite".

The Power loss was literally "stopping to a halt, fade out". After the early minute goal by Tex in the 3rd, it was the 9 unanswered goals that you rarely see a dominant team (us) dish out in a second half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back