Why didn't Richmond play Geelong at GMHBA?

Remove this Banner Ad

that's a whole lot different to complaining about playing there. can hardly get upset we wanted more supporters getting a look in.
I would accept that fact from the AFL, re the supporters missing out, if they didn't contradict that year in year out by having the GF as a corporate event! They don't care too much about the supporters then.

Hands up who was complaining about playing Richmond at the G over the past four decades when we were getting thrashed by everyone. Anyone?

But we finally have a good run with injuries and string together a handful of good games at the right end of a season and suddenly everyone is wetting their pants.

Every team should get to play their home games wherever they want. If Richmond want to play 11 games at MCG then so be it, shouldn't be made to play at Etihad. If Melbourne want to sell game to Alice Springs, or China or Ballarat then so be it.
Agree completely..... 11 "home" games to be played at that teams "home" ground.... It's not rocket science, I found it equally cringeworthy the other week seeing the Pies playing the Dogs at Etihad as a "home" game.... That is just farcical IMO.

They have it the best in the whole league. Pretty much have 2 home grounds.
Our home ground is Kardinia Park, we never get all our 11 home games there.... And in finals when we earn the home final right we've only ever got it once at KP......This home "state" crap the AFL profligates is just lip service, if they were fair dinkum on the matter then the 2016 prelim should of been at the SCG & not Spotless, since it's still in NSW, as it was proven supporters were locked out of that match!

Meh. Geelong is not far off an outer suburb of Melbourne these days. And heaps of people commute. If you can commute from there it’s not really a different “city”.

Laverton, Werribee, Hoppers, Avalon, Lara, Geelong. What’s the difference? Next liberal government we get will subdivide the lot and there won’t be an empty paddock between the MCG and Kardinia.

Probably the fact only Lara and Geelong are apart of the City of Greater Geelong. I'm not from Geelong directly but I live in the City of Greater Geelong and it's almost 100km and 90min to the MCG on a good day and about 30min from KP.

Lara is about 45min from the MCG and 20min from KP.

Big differences in distance and time to MCG or KP.

Who's the farthest Melbourne team from the MCG? Essendon and that's what like 20min?

Probably the fact only Lara and Geelong are apart of the City of Greater Geelong. I'm not from Geelong directly but I live in the City of Greater Geelong and it's almost 100km and 90min to the MCG on a good day and about 30min from KP.

Who's the farthest Melbourne team from the MCG? Essendon and that's what like 20min?
Geelong might like to call itself a “city” but pretty soon everyone else is going to be calling it urban sprawl.

Ever heard of:
The City of Maribynong
The City of Moonee Valley
The City of Frankston
The City of Whitehorse
The City of Greater Dandenong

Yep, that the kind of city Geelong is. You’re a local government area. Soon to be just as much a part of Melbourne as Frankston or Dandenong.

You ask that question of 100 footy fans and 95% are going to say “Geelong”. Sorry but it’s true.

When did players start living at the ground they train at?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 clubs play home games at the mcg , how many at Optus :rolleyes:beat that and play fair

home games @ the G, away games @ the G ... only a fully blown elitist wannabe would run such nonsense to deny the head start they've grown to believe they are entitled to ... entitlement aint it grand?
Take your unearned advantage but please ... dont try & justify it, its pathetic.

home games @ the G, away games @ the G ... only a fully blown elitist wannabe would run such nonsense to deny the head start they've grown to believe they are entitled to ... entitlement aint it grand?
Take your unearned advantage but please ... dont try & justify it, its pathetic.
Perhaps go to bed dreaming about being a Victorian then, dreams can come true you know. Drowning in self pity is futile , no one wins

People do understand that the only reason the Geelong Football Club still exists is because of their fans outside of Geelong?

Which is one of the main reasons they still play home games in Melbourne.

Gabba to Metricon is closer than Kardinia Park to MCG

Spotless to SCG is half the time it is from Kardinia Park to MCG

Why don't people complain about them playing in different stadiums?
Its not about the time or travel

Those examples you mentioned are way different because there are only 2 teams in those states. Take one of those for example, no one cares if Brisbane have to go up to Metricon because they only play there once or maybe not even once every year. Where as with Geelong they get there own home ground advantage in Victoria, which no one else shares, and still get the luxury of getting 7-8 games a year at the MCG.

Its not like they have to travel that far anyway...its only like an hour up the road.

Yeah if clubs want to sell games to other venues to make more money, so be it.

I do not like the way the AFL demands clubs play their homes games at different grounds, as they did with us having to play the Eagles at Etihad, for the AFL's personal commercial benefit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back