Why didn't Richmond play Geelong at GMHBA?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers have played at KP over many years. I have no issue copping the occasional Cats home game V Tigers at MCG.

Exactly. We've played games versus Richmond at other venues for years. Decades in fact.

What is bullshit is the Sunday twilight time slot, s**t public transport options from Geelong with "Works", the obligatory lane closures on the freeway up there. Its always the same and while its a "home game" there needs to be some coordination to allow the fan base to get there.

Now Pies, Blues, Hawks and Bombers all need to get their arses down there. If the Tigers can do it, the other ****s can do it to.

Absolutely. Great to see Carlton treated like the umimportant club they currently are and venture down this year. Won't be long before Essendon do it as well I'm guessing. About time.

It's an hour an 10 min later than the traditional start time ffs. Public transport and roads don't magically turn to s**t because the game is an hour later.

It does if you've got a family (or even if you haven't). The game doesn't finish until near enough to 6pm. For a while we had the added joy of not being able to leave the carpark for 20 minutes in case some moron grazed his knee on a bumper. Otherwise you can park a fair distance away. Or you can catch the train - if they're running, which on some lines on Sunday they were not. What should be a commute of less than or around one hour can easily take a lot more. A lot of people are voting with their feet and deciding they can't be bothered. I don't blame them.

Where was the 20+ page thread when they played a home game at the G against Hawthorn earlier in the year?

Pretty sure it is well known that we want to play Hawthorn at the MCG. It’s Easter Monday - it’s a huge game with big crowds every year. Sunday’s game got a crap crowd. It would have been at least 90% full at GMHBA.

It's an hour an 10 min later than the traditional start time ffs. Public transport and roads don't magically turn to s**t because the game is an hour later.
Actually on a Sunday they quite often do. It can take me quite sometime just to get home to Williamstown, let alone getting back to Geelong. It’s a rubbish timeslot for a Geelong home game.

Where was the 20+ page thread when they played a home game at the G against Hawthorn earlier in the year?
Hawks v Geelong nearly always a big crowd- 60,000 is a small one for these two- more likely to be in the 70,000’s -or 80,0000 so of course has to be at the G.
Richmond v Geel -long way below those figures.
Now that Richmond is a good team maybe your fans will start to turn up in greater numbers -then of course happy to play at the G mostly.

Last edited:
Exactly. We've played games versus Richmond at other venues for years. Decades in fact.

Absolutely. Great to see Carlton treated like the umimportant club they currently are and venture down this year. Won't be long before Essendon do it as well I'm guessing. About time.
Good luck with that.

Actually on a Sunday they quite often do. It can take me quite sometime just to get home to Williamstown, let alone getting back to Geelong. It’s a rubbish timeslot for a Geelong home game.
So 2:10pm is no problem but 3:20 is rubbish? The transport doesn't alter in one hour, I do the trip from Geelong a bit, there are heaps of trains, they even put extra footy specials on.

So 2:10pm is no problem but 3:20 is rubbish? The transport doesn't alter in one hour, I do the trip from Geelong a bit, there are heaps of trains, they even put extra footy specials on.
2.10 is better but ideally 2.10 on a Saturday is better for Geelong families, even Friday night is better. Ofcourse getting kids home late to Geelong on a school night is tricky. Simple to understand that, I’d have thought and easily fixed.

Hawks v Geelong nearly always a big crowd- 60,000 is a small one for these two- more likely to be in the 70,000’s -or 80,0000 so of course has to be at the G.
Richmond v Geel -way below those figures.
Now that Richmond is a good team maybe your fans will start to turn up in greater numbers -then of course happy to play at the G mostly.

That does get skewed though - the first of those is always on a public holiday. We'll get a good indication towards the end of the year when we play them again.

It really is silly how they fixture some games some times.
Geelong playing games at the MCG works for them, and it works for the AFL as they are a good side and draw good crowds. But the AFL put them in timeslots that just don't suit the extra time it takes to get to the ground, thus making the distance between the two places seem bigger deal than it needs to be.

I said it at the time, Geelong playing the Friday night final last year was Lunacy - crowd would have been a lot more even on the Saturday afternoon.

Stay down the wrong end of the ladder for long enough, and it's what the AFL will do. Carlton fans would have thought the same thing.
Carlton had 5 consecutive sub 40k crowds against you.

Ignoring the one we had in 2016 the last time we had sub 40k against you outside of GMHBA was Windy Hill in 1988.

Good luck with getting us down there though. I personally would love to be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parents with kids wont go from Geelong with school the next day.

Might be great from your ivory tower but from the rest of us in the real world, it is an issue.

GO Catters

Good luck with that.
The ******* country game should actually be held out of the CBD with us hosting it.

Get a bus. And your team being shiter helps too.

GO Catters

2.10 is better but ideally 2.10 on a Saturday is better for Geelong families, even Friday night is better. Ofcourse getting kids home late to Geelong on a school night is tricky. Simple to understand that, I’d have thought and easily fixed.

Absolutely no reason it couldn’t have been scheduled earlier other than for TV. It wasn’t a fan friendly for those that wanted to go at all.

Not unexpected though, the scheduling/fixturing this year has been totally s**t.

Might be great from your ivory tower but from the rest of us in the real world, it is an issue.

GO Catters
Well just say that then. If people don't want to go for 3:20 then that's fine. Just don't blame the transport, that's the point I was making, the transport is just as good for a 3:20 game as it is for 2:10 or 1:10.

That does get skewed though - the first of those is always on a public holiday. We'll get a good indication towards the end of the year when we play them again.
Yep-fair enough but I looked at some of the recent figures-virtually always big numbers even for the non Easter game-the July game last year was 70,000
2013- 85,000 2014- 72,000, 2015-55,800. 2016 only played them the one game-what the!
Of course 2 good teams there, but tigers have been making finals for a number of years now, so should have better figures but nope- so playing in Geelong wasn’t unreasonable on the numbers.

Well just say that then. If people don't want to go for 3:20 then that's fine. Just don't blame the transport, that's the point I was making, the transport is just as good for a 3:20 game as it is for 2:10 or 1:10.
not when trains dont run between Geelong and Southern Cross. Or nothing stops at Jollimont. Happens all the time end effects attendance far too regularly. Not to mention the road works.

GO Catters

The point is though it wasn't. On Sunday there were multiple lines that had NO TRAINS RUNNING. On some you had to catch a bus with the helpful (and wildly optimistic) advice to "Allow an extra 60 mins". That's each way too. That kind of transport is not just as good as anything.

GO Catters

Forget from Geelong, from Melbourne too.

Not that she's that interested, but there is zero chance of me taking my daughter to a 3:20pm game. Virtually no chance of getting home before 7:30 if everything goes flawlessly. Not going to happen.

Absolutely no reason it couldn’t have been scheduled earlier other than for TV. It wasn’t a fan friendly for those that wanted to go at all.

Not unexpected though, the scheduling/fixturing this year has been totally s**t.
Worst scheduling and tv access I can remember, all this year. And for not apparent reason that I can fathom.

Last edited:
If Geelong want to play Hawthorn next year at Simmonds Stadium that's fine. It's going to happen soon one way or another, but in order for the Hawks to play down there though the condition must be that the AFL has to schedule two Hawthorn vs Geelong games next year in the home and away season for it to be a fair outcome.

Game 1: Easter Monday (MCG) Hawks (H)
Game 2: (GMHBA) Cats (H)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back