Why didn't Richmond play Geelong at GMHBA?

Remove this Banner Ad

The point is though it wasn't. On Sunday there were multiple lines that had NO TRAINS RUNNING. On some you had to catch a bus with the helpful (and wildly optimistic) advice to "Allow an extra 60 mins". That's each way too. That kind of transport is not just as good as anything.
I was responding to a post blaming transport for 3:20 being s**t for Geelong residents and I was simply pointing out that the transport is the same for 1:10, 2:10 and 3:20 games.

Any transport issues didnt magically appear at 3pm. Jolimont lines were shut all day, not just from 3pm.

47,000 crowd is a poor turn out for a club that has over 90,000 members and above that many other supporters.

Considering that this is no different to most other games during the home and away season in Melbourne recently between these two sides there really is no reason to play it here. Furthermore the whining from Richmond fans about having to go down to Skilled and that they shouldn't have to because they are a big club and have a huge member base is simply now not justified.

I am not sure if Richmond supporters are scared of the weather or just don't really turn up to show support at matches but based off today there is a strong case to say Geelong should be hosting a game between these two sides at Skilled Stadium.

Wowee, where does one start?

It was Geelong's home game, so crowd size reflects on them, not Richmond, as very few of those 95,000 members have access to away games in their membership.

Of the 23 home and away games this century between the two clubs only eight have been played at Richmond's home ground, so it doesn't really seem a bad idea to even things up a bit.

The Cats choose to play home games at the 'G - makes them money and gives them exposure to the GF ground.

GMHBA has a capacity of 36,000, so by having it at the G an extra 10K come along.

The weather was biblical all morning and up to minutes before the game.

What I love the most though is that anyone (even just someone trying to poke a stick) can say 47,000 is a poor turnout. How good are we going when 47K is a poor turnout?

Even better when the comment's from someone who's team plays at a 54,000 capacity stadium, has 61,000+ members but only averages 39,000 at home games.

It was Geelong's home game, so crowd size reflects on them, not Richmond, as very few of those 95,000 members have access to away games in their membership.

Of the 23 home and away games this century between the two clubs only eight have been played at Richmond's home ground, so it doesn't really seem a bad idea to even things up a bit.

The Cats choose to play home games at the 'G - makes them money and gives them exposure to the GF ground.

GMHBA has a capacity of 36,000, so by having it at the G an extra 10K come along.

What I love the most though is that anyone (even just someone trying to poke a stick) can say 47,000 is a poor turnout. How good are we going when 47K is a poor turnout?

Even better when the comment's from someone who's team plays at a 54,000 capacity stadium, has 61,000+ members but only averages 39,000 at home games.
Right and trhat means that port is getting a greater percentage of their members turn up to home games than Richmond and Port is getting a greater percentage of the ground capacity filled at home games than richmond also.

Think it is ‘even’! I get-9 at Geelong, 9 at the G and 6 at Etihad.
Can’t even remember the games at Etihad ( Telstra dome) myself.

Last edited:
Geelong is a completely different city.

Not exactly hard to grasp.

Every other Vic team represents a suburb in Melbourne.

How do people not understand this?
Geelong is one hour down the road from the Melbourne CBD and 40 mins from Werribee (the s.western edge of Melb metro)

The only real difference between Frankston and Geelong in relation to Melbourne is the southeast sprawl compared to the wasteland between Avalon and Laverton.

Half of Geelong’s supporters live in Melbourne and your club has played 3 or 4 games in Melbourne for the past 45 years

Im putting together a picture now. You're a 50+ year old person that doesn't know how forums work.
Ill help you out there, bud. When you click that 'reply' button your post is supposed to be relevant to that comment, if you want to ramble about random bullshit like you're doing then just start typing in that big comment box at the bottom. Thank me later.

Mintutae: the small, precise, or trivial details of something.

If Geelong want to play Hawthorn next year at Simmonds Stadium that's fine. It's going to happen soon one way or another, but in order for the Hawks to play down there though the condition must be that the AFL has to schedule two Hawthorn vs Geelong games next year in the home and away season for it to be a fair outcome.

Game 1: Easter Monday (MCG) Hawks (H)
Game 2: (GMHBA) Cats (H)

Given interstate (and several Vic) clubs will often play no home games and one game at Kardinia - why should this be the case?

It’s not a new thing. afl has been fixturing like this for years

We played St Kilda at Etihad as our home game. Then played the return game against them that year at Etihad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your home game today play it where you want, you obviously wanted to cash in on the tigers massive support to bump up the your coffers. Unfortunately for you Melbourne turned on one of her great winter shows and 20-30k stay away. Bad luck.

No we have said over and over again here that playing at home is much better for us financially then the MCG. For us to profit of the MCG, it has to get pretty full which really never happens expect a home Hawks game and finals.

We have more MCG games due to less Ethiad homes games. If it was our choice we would play all homes at at home but have to fight your battles and MCG is better then Ethiad.

What is in that for Geelong? We don't don't make money by playing away games at the G just like any other away club doesn't

Easter Monday Hawks game alternates given the large rivalry it is.

Other two we don't touch as they don't get large crowds and do not make that much money. Thats if they even make money these days.

Firstly tickets were $50 for reserved seat concession on level 1 and $81 on level 2 in the Ponsford Stand. Those prices are more than the cost of week 1 & 2 finals tickets at the MCG. A conspiracy theorist would suggest that Geelong were 1. trying to cash in on Richmonds recent success or 2. were trying to make the crowd lower so they could argue for the game to be moved back to Geelong next year.

Secondly on the day there was close to 40mm of rain in the 24 hours prior to the game. Despite this 47k people turned up, had the weather been much better you'd expect another 15-20k turn up to watch to top 4 sides go at it especially after the Qualifying final crowd last year.

Finally the game was at 3.20 pm on a Sunday, as was mentioned to me by Geelong people, who is going to drive 2 hours up from the Bellarine to attend a game which would see them not get home until near on 9pm on a Sunday night. The game starts at 2.10-2.30 and that probably gets a few more to attend.

Firstly tickets were $50 for reserved seat concession on level 1 and $81 on level 2 in the Ponsford Stand. Those prices are more than the cost of week 1 & 2 finals tickets at the MCG. A conspiracy theorist would suggest that Geelong were 1. trying to cash in on Richmonds recent success or 2. were trying to make the crowd lower so they could argue for the game to be moved back to Geelong next year.
Just on the seating thing, for that game there was a truck load of good GA seats on level 1. I posted this earlier in the thread. I know because I was thinking of going and checked. M4-M15 in the GSS and M30-M36 in the Ponsford including all those undercover spots in the back section, all for the $25 GA price. No need to reserve seats. The mcc.org.au website lists these from a couple of days out from the game.

Just on the seating thing, for that game there was a truck load of good GA seats on level 1. I posted this earlier in the thread. I know because I was thinking of going and checked. M4-M15 in the GSS and M30-M36 in the Ponsford including all those undercover spots in the back section, all for the $25 GA price. No need to reserve seats. The mcc.org.au website lists these from a couple of days out from the game.
True but for people who book early those prices would have been a put off, then on the day the weather meant that the walk up patrons just didn't show.

True but for people who book early those prices would have been a put off, then on the day the weather meant that the walk up patrons just didn't show.
It was just an fyi for people. Reserve seats are always expensive. No need to book at all for a lot of games, in particular Geelong home games at the G because their reserve seat members don't take up much space.

It was just an fyi for people. Reserve seats are always expensive. No need to book at all for a lot of games, in particular Geelong home games at the G because their reserve seat members don't take up much space.
No other club has their reserved seating cost more than finals tickets.

No other club has their reserved seating cost more than finals tickets.
Look I'm just trying to help people on here. There is often a truck load of great GA seats at the G and no need to pay for reserve seats, some people don't realise this. Even our Easter Monday game against the Cats I sat in great level 1 GA seats for nothing.

I've got no idea what price clubs charge for seats at the G because I never reserve one. Out of interest I took a look at the Tigers return game against the Cats and they want $55 for level 1 and $45 for level 4. Probably the same set up as Sunday's game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back