Why didnt we take a key defender?

I wonder if one of Amartey or McLean are moved exclusively to the backline this preseason.

It's hard to see how either of them get consistent games next year unless significant injuries or McDonald doesn't come on. Both of which are possible, but we still have Reid as backup.

Reid might play back too. Honestly getting a KPD in the draft is great but unless they are Weitering they aren’t playing for 2-3 years.

Next year we have two first rounders plus our F1 and F2. We have a lot of currency we can trade a very good one in or draft up to 3-4 KPP

Reid might play back too. Honestly getting a KPD in the draft is great but unless they are Weitering they aren’t playing for 2-3 years.

Next year we have two first rounders plus our F1 and F2. We have a lot of currency we can trade a very good one in or draft up to 3-4 KPP
I seriously don't get this...

He's never played more than 5-6 mins at the end of a quarter down back, except if there's no one else available to cover for injury, say when there are two injuries in the same game. Even 2017 when half the bloody team was out, he didn't play down back...

I can't imagine why anyone thinks there's any chance he could play back to finish his career...

I'd really like if someone could give me an explanation (apart from wishful thinking) as to why this is suddenly an option?

'Slammed Sam' has trundled down to defence as a loose man in red time maybe 60 or 70 times. He maybe played 2 or 3 games as a KPD. He is a smart fella and nowadays is a solid unit.

I really do not understand the value of playing a bloke of his age and injury history in a newish position for him. He is on a one year contract. Players like he and JPK are not the future of the Club and are fill ins this year.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
It's no good simply saying "we don't rate" anyone .
We need to find one asap.
You know what, you're right. I know a guy who's above 195cm. Can't run, is over 50, has a problem shoulder, so I don't rate him, and he'll never play, but at least I found a KPD, right?

No point in picking a player that you don't think will make it.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
You know what, you're right. I know a guy who's above 195cm. Can't run, is over 50, has a problem shoulder, so I don't rate him, and he'll never play, but at least I found a KPD, right?

No point in picking a player that you don't think will make it.
Yep.

I like his competitive attitude and he sounds like a ripper bloke!

Get that lad in!

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
Apparently it's one or several of these:

- Paddy is a locked in, A grade key defender after showing the same level of prowess as the delisted Brand, over a handful of VFL games
- Reid apparently can play back, which is probably news to him, since he's only ever played a few minutes of intercept mark / third man up at a time, since his junior days. Apparently he can also get on the park regularly which is news to all of us.
- BOC and/or Gould are definitely going to make it, which is why we only gave them 1 year deals
- Key defenders take a while to develop, so we shouldn't bother, just bring in smalls now who take less time to develop, and get a KPD later. Because logic.
- Key defenders take a while to develop, so we shouldn't bother, let's just pray the footy gods bless us with a star recruit via a trade (where we're hamstrung when competing with other clubs) or a gun mature ager (see Brand)
- No idea, but I'm sure the club never makes mistakes, so let's just trust them

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Two defenders were high on most clubs lists. But one was out of our range, van Rooyen. The other was not the type we want. Bazzo was in our range but he would not have been best player at the pick. Not only that he is an intercept defender not a lockdown defender. We were looking for a strong lockdown defender.

That basically sums it up. The other key defenders in the draft were not the quality we are looking for.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney

- Paddy is a locked in, A grade key defender after showing the same level of prowess as the delisted Brand, over a handful of VFL games
- Reid apparently can play back, which is probably news to him, since he's only ever played a few minutes of intercept mark / third man up at a time, since his junior days. Apparently he can also get on the park regularly which is news to all of us.
- BOC and/or Gould are definitely going to make it, which is why we only gave them 1 year deals
- Key defenders take a while to develop, so we shouldn't bother, just bring in smalls now who take less time to develop, and get a KPD later. Because logic.
- Key defenders take a while to develop, so we shouldn't bother, let's just pray the footy gods bless us with a star recruit via a trade (where we're hamstrung when competing with other clubs) or a gun mature ager (see Brand)

in old cartoons they used to put two small guys, one on top of the other, in a long coat ...

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I wish we had of taken Bazzo...

I think exposed form was the issue. Hard to judge credentials when they dont match up against the best regularly. 100% we'll target KPD in the mid season draft... if we have the list spot
Bazzo is an intercept defender. Not a lockdown defender. What we are looking for is a good, solid, lockdown defender. Like Reg.

Two defenders were high on most clubs lists. But one was out of our range, van Rooyen. The other was not the type we want. Bazzo was in our range but he would not have been best player at the pick. Not only that he is an intercept defender not a lockdown defender. We were looking for a strong lockdown defender.

That basically sums it up. The other key defenders in the draft were not the quality we are looking for.

Basically the only one really worth it was the one the Tigers picked and he was a top 10 selection. The others were in the basket of "look I wouldn't complain if we took one" but that's it. Said it before the draft, don't be shocked if we take mids, and a variation of them.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bazzo is an intercept defender. Not a lockdown defender. What we are looking for is a good, solid, lockdown defender. Like Reg.

Van Rooyen went after our first pick, we just went with Sheldrick, and Bazzo also played as a lockdown KPD, even negating JVR when he was tearing it up. But you're right on the type we need.

Van Rooyen went after our first pick, we just went with Sheldrick, and Bazzo also played as a lockdown KPD, even negating JVR when he was tearing it up. But you're right on the type we need.

JVR has played most up forward and apparently sees himself as a forward so possibly that came into it.

Not sure on Bazzo but the ones we picked made sense. I’m not shocked we have waited till next years draft and we have a massive hand too

We're currently at 43/44 players. With Paddy that's 44 - which is the maximum. We surely move Naismith to the LTI and can pick another player up. Also if we have any early retirements, that'll be another spot.

Doubt it. Might leave that for the mid season. Paddy and that’s it for us.

Don’t stress you’ll get your defenders next season. There’s no rush!

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

That's a complete misrepresentation.

No KPD draftee was going to have an impact for us this year, and none were best available in the long term, so it makes sense we didn't pick any.

We're probably backing ourselves to nab one through trades/free agency this year, which will provide a much faster return than a long term KPD prospect who won't have an impact for 3 years.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

No KPD draftee was going to have an impact for us this year, and none were best available in the long term, so it makes sense we didn't pick any.

We're probably backing ourselves to nab one through trades/free agency this year, which will provide a much faster return than a long term KPD prospect who won't have an impact for 3 years.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Doubt it. Might leave that for the mid season. Paddy and that’s it for us.

Don’t stress you’ll get your defenders next season. There’s no rush!
Just pointing out that we still have spots available. I wont be surprised when we suddenly have a couple mature aged recruits trying to get a spot through the supplementary period

Just pointing out that we still have spots available. I wont be surprised when we suddenly have a couple mature aged recruits trying to get a spot through the supplementary period

We can also wait till the MSD. Take Paddy then wait and see. Honestly it’s not a big deal not getting a defender

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams

"Complete misrepresentation"
Repeats several of my points without addressing the flaws.

Anyway, unless we're looking at taking an extra player in the supplementary period with Naismith to LTI, it's a moot point and we'll see if the club redeem themselves next year.

Back