Opinion Why didn't you go to todays game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I was in Sydney for work and could've gone to the game if i wanted to. I didnt because i didnt want to pay to see us ****ed over by the umps, over it tbh.

Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Loves the responses guys and gals...

Funny stuff!

Anyone on this forum from the Swanies Cheersquad? What percentage of your cheersquad do you think went to the game today?

(thanks again guys... ticket price and the fact most of you live 1,000's of kms away seem to be the main issues)

Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
I did go to today’s game but when I bought my ticket on Wednesday the cheapest ticket was $52 which I imagine would have been off putting to a lot of fans.

I booked the cheapest tickets I could for me and my 16 year old son on the wednesday before the sat twilight game against the pies. It cost $90.30.... 3 years ago it it $42

Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Do you not understand that Swans membership doesn't give entry to this game so the membership number is pretty much irrelevant?

Yes I do understand that a club membership only gets you into home games... and you have to pay to go watch your team play as the away team.

I just imagined that the fact Swans fans didn't need to travel 1,000's of km's to get to the game, there would have been more people there.

Ticket prices for the games at Giants stadium seem to be pretty hexy but. Very hexy actually.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes I do understand that a club membership only gets you into home games... and you have to pay to go watch your team play as the away team.

I just imagined that the fact Swans fans didn't need to travel 1,000's of km's to get to the game, there would have been more people there.

Ticket prices for the games at Giants stadium seem to be pretty hexy but. Very hexy actually.
give the swans members a discount on the ticket price, any coin is better than nothing

Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
give the swans members a discount on the ticket price, any coin is better than nothing

$52 cheapest ticket on Wed before the game was shocking and 33% below capacity... although I doubt 16k of a 24k capacity stadium were actually there, with stands closed and empty seats in every bay.

I agree. thanks.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Last time I went to that s**thole was r1 2014

Shot day

The stadium itself isn’t great but it’s not a bad place to watch footy. Has a suburban ground feel to it.

When I was coaching in Sydney, we played our Grand Final on the ground which was a good experience (aside from the fire alarm going off coincidentally when we had the momentum in the second quarter... didn’t get it back after that).

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think the Smoky is being disingenuous coming on our board asking our views like he is a newly appointed management consultant looking to fix the problems of AFL attendance in Sydney while on the game day thread it's more along the lines of "Swans should be embarrassed".

Let me answer a few of your accusations...
1. "The rubbish about kids playing sport between 2pm and 5pm on a Saturday isn't the issueLet me ta."

My son played yesterday at 2pm on the other side of town, that's a big reason I wasn't there.

2. "Location isn't the issue"

Yes, the Westconnex has helped, but as any Sydneysider will tell you Saturday traffic is worse that peak hour.

3. "Maybe it's because they don't serve chardonnay at Giants stadium!"

Boring cliche. It'd be like me saying you have to drink it through a straw because you are a toothless Collingwood supporter. Wrong (hopefully) and boring.

4. "Sydney could have done with some crowd support in the last minute. Reids mark should have been paid... and Greene getting a free kick cause he was pushed in the back by his own team mate."

If it takes crowd support to get correct decisions from umpires the league has a bigger problem than Sydney attendance

Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
I think the Smoky is being disingenuous coming on our board asking our views like he is a newly appointed management consultant looking to fix the problems of AFL attendance in Sydney while on the game day thread it's more along the lines of "Swans should be embarrassed".

Let me answer a few of your accusations...
1. "The rubbish about kids playing sport between 2pm and 5pm on a Saturday isn't the issueLet me ta."

My son played yesterday at 2pm on the other side of town, that's a big reason I wasn't there.

2. "Location isn't the issue"

Yes, the Westconnex has helped, but as any Sydneysider will tell you Saturday traffic is worse that peak hour.

3. "Maybe it's because they don't serve chardonnay at Giants stadium!"

Boring cliche. It'd be like me saying you have to drink it through a straw because you are a toothless Collingwood supporter. Wrong (hopefully) and boring.

4. "Sydney could have done with some crowd support in the last minute. Reids mark should have been paid... and Greene getting a free kick cause he was pushed in the back by his own team mate."

If it takes crowd support to get correct decisions from umpires the league has a bigger problem than Sydney attendance

Agreed. I did post this early after the game finished. I was really quite taken back that a derby of the only 2 sydneys based clubs in the AFL couldn't get a close to 24,000 capacity.

Then a few comments on the thread after my (innappropiate comments) posts, convinced me there were some genuine issues regarding ticket pricing, which I've encountered before.

Yes personally I think the Swans got ripped off hard in that last 90 seconds and I definately think a large portion of crowd noise during those shocking umpiring decisions may have helped.

Anyways, sorry if I offended on this topic on the gameday thread, but rest assured I have seen the light on the topic now and have appreciated everyone input from both boards since I reached out to the club and to you guys on both this board and the GWS board.

Im not trying to take a comprehensive survey... but get a general feel for as to why.

Thanks... and Sorry...

And Thanks!

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
It's definitely about the pricing. Not only that you end up having to get tickets under a GWS membership as the numbers for opposing sides is limited due to the number of seats. Even when this happens the number of GA seats is very limited. The pricing for seats is finals pricing. Up in the rafters for $60-70 is not my idea of a fun price.

It is expensive enough going to the footy at the best of times but going to Giants Stadium is bloody expensive. I worked out that for just one person the last time we went:

TICKET $58
TRAIN 16
FOOD. 25
DRINK 51

That is just one person. Think of what it costs for a family of four.

Then there is the fact the Swans are not going well. Some of our supporters do drop away at this time but not that many that this should be a factor.

It is at Homebush. Swans supporters traditionally hate Homebush. ANZ Stadium was thrust upon us because, Fitzpatrick is a director of the company that runs it. It is the worst place in Australia to watch Aussie Rules due to the way it is designed. There are blind spots. Areas of the ground that are not viable to Red Zone members. The smart ones got a place at the bar window and watched from there. Plus we didn't play so well even in the good years there. Due to these considerations the Swans fan base hate Homebush with a passion and ask the majority and they will tell you they would rather not go there at all.

There is another problem. The ground is a strange shape. More egg shaped and longer at one end. A bit like Prospect Oval in Adelaide without the askew goal posts (one faces one wing and the other end faces the opposite wing. They are not aligned).

I hope this clears a few things up. The other this is the AFL should look at expanding the seating there to 50,000 capacity.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Agreed. I did post this early after the game finished. I was really quite taken back that a derby of the only 2 sydneys based clubs in the AFL couldn't get a close to 24,000 capacity.
Fair enough, no problem. GWS is a bit of an issue for some Swans fans. A club we didn't want thrust into our market with the sort of concessions the Swans never got when they came to Sydney. A club gifted finals at Homebush when we finished higher than them on the ladder. Our crowds at the SCG have held up pretty well this year given our ladder position. The torch should be on GWS supporters for not filling it, not us. There was little orange at the SCG for the game earlier this year. And if it's true they jacked up the prices this week to take advantage of Swans supporters then I'm pleased it was half empty.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney

Then a few comments on the thread after my (innappropiate comments) posts, convinced me there were some genuine issues regarding ticket pricing, which I've encountered before.

Yes personally I think the Swans got ripped off hard in that last 90 seconds and I definately think a large portion of crowd noise during those shocking umpiring decisions may have helped.

Anyways, sorry if I offended on this topic on the gameday thread, but rest assured I have seen the light on the topic now and have appreciated everyone input from both boards since I reached out to the club and to you guys on both this board and the GWS board.

Im not trying to take a comprehensive survey... but get a general feel for as to why.

Thanks... and Sorry...

And Thanks!
Personally had no problem with your enquiry and you showed respect. No issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back