Opinion Why didn't you go to todays game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
I come in Peace...

This is not a Troll thread

I was wondering why there was such a low crowd number today. I know 2pm timeslot on a Sat isn't the best. From a Syd point of view Bud's out, and they're going to miss finals, but I wanted to ask what your individual reasons were for not going to the game, or you did go to the game and why your mates didn't.

I've lived in Sydney for 20 years in Lilyfield/ Leichhardt next to the Anzac bridge (no traffic I can drive to George st in the cbd in 5 min. I know the Westcox M4 tunnel means I get get from here to Giants stadium in just over 20 min. I know the train from Central to the ground...

I just couldn't understand why stands were closed and there were empty seats in every bay that was open... in a venue that has a Capacity of only 24,000.

From what I can tell Sydney has about 65,000 members and GWS 25,000.

That's 90,000 members in a hometown derby, yet stands were closed.

Now, I have reached out to a contact at Giants stadium and told them I think their pricing structure is completely out of wack and their charging for seats like they are Manchester United playing at home. I've also heard that GWS members who can get into every game until this one were told they needed to buy a reserved seat just for todays game. These things clearly affected attendance...

I've also heard alot of other stories I won't go into because I don't buy the reasons.

I would like to give a fair overview of feedback if I'm asked, as to why this derby is probably the lowest crowd ever.

(p.s - try to give me opinions not questions, i've put a similar thread on Swans board and I just want to gather evidence as to why people didn't feel like it was worth going... I dont want to debate it here, I'd rather debate it with Giants stadium.

I'd appreciate your specific reasons

Thanks in advance guys.

P.s. close win today, would have been nice to experience in person.
This is something that bothers me personally every week

Can't understand it myself

I don't see the point in being a member if you don't go and support the team

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Was speaking to a couple in the coffee line who said they’d missed most of the first quarter in traffic and that there were still heaps of people walking down from P5 (usually there’s a shuttle, not sure what was going on there) - according to them the traffic was somewhere between chaos and horrendous.

Hugh Jackman at Qdos, with both a matinee and an evening show - P1 was sold out a long time ago.

No excuses, just some other factors to consider.

Still, for a derby it was pretty pi$$ poor
Dog show at the dome too

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Yep... You got me!

2pm Sat in Sydney is a horrible time slot, it’s not Melbourne, weather is good, football is not religion and people have other options.

The best time slot for a Sydney Derby would be 7pm Sat night but even then you need both teams to be in contention and the Swans and their fickle fans are gone.

We have a core group of about 8k supporters, the rest is determined by the opposition. This is not unusual for a young team still building.

The membership figures are bollocks because there are so many categories which beef up numbers. Our core crowd stats doubled are probably closer to the real numbers. Again this is fine for a young team that has yet to win a flag and hence be fully embraced.

The club is brilliantly run and has a wonderful culture amongst the players and is slowly gaining traction.

There is little point drilling down on individual games, whether the intention is to troll or not it can only draw negative feelings. The club is on track and just needs a flag to really gain some meaningful cut through...that will come.

MVille Swan

Senior List
Aug 13, 2016
Inner West
AFL Club
Sydney
I come in Peace...

I was wondering why there was such a low crowd number today. I know 2pm timeslot on a Sat isn't the best. From a Syd point of view Bud's out, and they're going to miss finals, but I wanted to ask what your individual reasons were for not going to the game, or you did go to the game and why your mates didn't.

I've lived in Sydney for 20 years in Lilyfield/ Leichhardt next to the Anzac bridge (no traffic I can drive to George st in the cbd in 5 min. I know the Westcox M4 tunnel means I get get from here to Giants stadium in just over 20 min. I know the train from Central to the ground...

I just couldn't understand why stands were closed and there were empty seats in every bay that was open... in a venue that has a Capacity of only 24,000.

Now, I have reached out to a contact at Giants stadium and told them I think their pricing structure is completely out of wack and their charging for seats like they are Manchester United playing at home. I've also heard that GWS members who can get into every game until this one were told they needed to buy a reserved seat just for todays game. These things clearly affected attendance...

I've also heard alot of other stories I won't go into because I don't buy the reasons.

I would like to give a fair overview of feedback if I'm asked, as to why this derby is probably the lowest crowd ever.

(p.s - try to give me opinions not questions, i've put a similar thread on Swans board and I just want to gather evidence as to why people didn't feel like it was worth going... I dont want to debate it here, I'd rather debate it with Giants stadium.

Thanks in advance guys.

MVille Swan

Senior List
Aug 13, 2016
Inner West
AFL Club
Sydney
I come in Peace...

Thanks in advance guys.

My family and I have four Swans premiership club memberships (11 SCG home games, reserved seats & guaranteed GF tickets if we make it). We also have four GWS memberships (with reserved seats for the 8 home games at Giants Stadium and guaranteed GF tickets if the Giants make it). The Swans memberships go back to the mid 90s and the Giants memberships started in 2012. In theory we can go to 19 AFL games in Sydney every
year. We probably miss two each year due to holidays. We are Swans fans first. But I think I'm relatively well qualified to answer your query.
I think the poor crowd yesterday was due to a low turnout by Swans members/fans. Basically this year there is a core group of around 7,000 or 8,000 GWS fans that show up to every game at Giants Stadium and the rest of the crowd are fans of the opposition team. When the Suns play there, the crowd is not
going to go over the 7,000 or 8,000 number, but if Collingwood plays then they will pull a lot of their Sydney based fans and many Magpie fans from Melbourne will make a weekend of it in Sydney and see the game. And the crowd number will be a lot higher, as it was a couple week ago. Normally the GWS/Swans game at Giants Stadium will get a crowd of 21,000 or 22,000. But I think around 4,000 or so Swans members/fans that would normally go, didn't yesterday. I read some reports about high ticket prices. I don't really buy the traffic excuse. Traffic in Sydney is appalling every Saturday. You just have to allow for it, or catch the train. A few people have commented on the time slot. It probably wasn't great for people whose kids play sport. But generally
I think the Swans crowd is older by a bit than the GWS fan base, so that is less likely to be an issue for them. Normally the games there are at 4:35PM or thereabouts. The general feeling before the game amongst Swans fans was that we were going to get killed. Maybe that put people off. It's never stopped us going to a game, but I recognise that our family is probably not the average Sydney footy fans. The Giants are a great team and now that we are out of it, I hope they win. If they make the GF, we'll likely go down to Melbourne to support them. I understand there is a bit of animosity towards GWS from some sections of the Swans membership, but I don't get that at all. Basically AFL in Sydney struggles against all the other codes, and any division between the two Sydney teams is just counter productive for everyone. I find it a bit immature to be honest.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
My family and I have four Swans premiership club memberships (11 SCG home games, reserved seats & guaranteed GF tickets if we make it). We also have four GWS memberships (with reserved seats for the 8 home games at Giants Stadium and guaranteed GF tickets if the Giants make it). The Swans memberships go back to the mid 90s and the Giants memberships started in 2012. In theory we can go to 19 AFL games in Sydney every
year. We probably miss two each year due to holidays. We are Swans fans first. But I think I'm relatively well qualified to answer your query.
I think the poor crowd yesterday was due to a low turnout by Swans members/fans. Basically this year there is a core group of around 7,000 or 8,000 GWS fans that show up to every game at Giants Stadium and the rest of the crowd are fans of the opposition team. When the Suns play there, the crowd is not
going to go over the 7,000 or 8,000 number, but if Collingwood plays then they will pull a lot of their Sydney based fans and many Magpie fans from Melbourne will make a weekend of it in Sydney and see the game. And the crowd number will be a lot higher, as it was a couple week ago. Normally the GWS/Swans game at Giants Stadium will get a crowd of 21,000 or 22,000. But I think around 4,000 or so Swans members/fans that would normally go, didn't yesterday. I read some reports about high ticket prices. I don't really buy the traffic excuse. Traffic in Sydney is appalling every Saturday. You just have to allow for it, or catch the train. A few people have commented on the time slot. It probably wasn't great for people whose kids play sport. But generally
I think the Swans crowd is older by a bit than the GWS fan base, so that is less likely to be an issue for them. Normally the games there are at 4:35PM or thereabouts. The general feeling before the game amongst Swans fans was that we were going to get killed. Maybe that put people off. It's never stopped us going to a game, but I recognise that our family is probably not the average Sydney footy fans. The Giants are a great team and now that we are out of it, I hope they win. If they make the GF, we'll likely go down to Melbourne to support them. I understand there is a bit of animosity towards GWS from some sections of the Swans membership, but I don't get that at all. Basically AFL in Sydney struggles against all the other codes, and any division between the two Sydney teams is just counter productive for everyone. I find it a bit immature to be honest.
Great post mate

Do you know what doesn't help. Olympic park is *hithouse before and after the game. Absolutely nothing to do. The big new bar they are building will help out the front at ANZ.

When I go the the SCG I go to the Bavarian beforehand and have 4 litres of beer to make the SCG beer taste better :) and then walk into town after. The tram is going to be even better.

Bit you can't make a night of it after a giants home game without going into the city or parra which most of the time wont happen

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Great post mate

Do you know what doesn't help. Olympic park is *hithouse before and after the game. Absolutely nothing to do. The big new bar they are building will help out the front at ANZ.

When I go the the SCG I go to the Bavarian beforehand and have 4 litres of beer to make the SCG beer taste better :) and then walk into town after. The tram is going to be even better.

Bit you can't make a night of it after a giants home game without going into the city or parra which most of the time wont happen

You need more than 4 litres to make it palatable

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Great post mate

If you consume 4 litres of beer, how many litres of beer does your shirt consume? Jaffa Fan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back