Why do footy shows suck?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s because the people on screen are out of touch with the common person and what they want from a footy show. The producers have been doing it too long and have lost touch as well.

If anyone currently wants to see a live death on TV tune in to Ch 7’s the Kick. Beyond woeful. They just had two Saints players reciting kids’ jokes to each other then both breaking out in laughter.

The panel has absolutely zero chemistry. Extraordinary!!

Just try too hard to be light entertainment shows]
If they just had a bit of a chat about the footy and what was going on the humour would happen more organically

Id rather listen to the footy shows on podcasts/radio over current tv crap

Just try too hard to be light entertainment shows]
If they just had a bit of a chat about the footy and what was going on the humour would happen more organically

Id rather listen to the footy shows on podcasts/radio over current tv crap

Ditto. Tried Hirdy and Crawf's podcast the other day. Its very good.

Both are easy to listen to along with their mate and its pretty insightful. They both actually have very good footy brains despite being a dog of a bloke and a clown.

Only need 1 person to host with a rotation of coaches/players to sensibly discuss the games.
Very simple format but shows like White Line Fever did this and it was the best daily footy show by a mile.
Don't understand the need to have a panel of 4+ trying to outfunny eachother...its never funny.

Front Bar might be the only footy show I can stand. Even then, I simply cannot bear Mick Molloy. Pang, on the other hand, is genuinely funny, I'm surprised he doesn't get more TV air time

The Footy Show is just a parody of itself these days, no other way to describe it

Front Bar might be the only footy show I can stand. Even then, I simply cannot bear Mick Molloy. Pang, on the other hand, is genuinely funny, I'm surprised he doesn't get more TV air time

The Footy Show is just a parody of itself these days, no other way to describe it
Yep. Molloy is pure cancer. How he has a gig of any kind whatsoever is mind blowing. s**t stain.

Because mcguire is on a few of them and he has created such a bloody boys club over nearly three decades that the majority of panellists spend the whole show bowing down to him. Absolutely nauseating to watch.

Yes, it's amazing that they take everything Eddie says as gospel. I guess he uses the Hitler tactic of surrounding himself with people who lack the intelligence to question him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because comedy on TV, as opposed to down the pub with your mates, is difficult.

And somehow, Australia’s footy market for commentary, comment and entertainment has been co-opted by a small, ring-fenced cadre of ex-players who, despite in the main being woefully inadequate at reliably carrying a comedy show (and why would they be able to? They’re footballers) have jobs for life on the merry go round.

It’s like the old school tie network, but the tie’s been replaced by footy boots.

What happened to the 1 hour review of all the games at 8.30 on Sunday nights? Bring it back

"The Winners"?

Yeah, I liked that too, despite Dwayne Russell hosting it.

My theory is that, because Jason Dunstall is a big knob at "Fox Footy" (he was in line to run the station at one point) he probably petitioned to put "The Bounce" on instead, since he appears on it.

Just gave the bounce another crack for 2 minutes. Frawley, Mooney and Gaze singing trying to be funny, and that will do me, I'm out again.

Saw that.

I thought that Billy Joel would be rolling in his grave hearing them mangle "The Longest Time", but then I remembered that Bill Joel isn't dead.

However, if he heard what they did to his song, he might have been tempted to top himself anyway.

The other thing is that pretty much only the most talented players are given gigs. From the Cats, Shannon Byrnes was clearly a funny bugger and did some work in front of the camera for the club's weekly show. But you'd never see him on commercial TV in a million years. So we get the "personalities" of Chris Judd, Jimmy Bartel and Nick Maxwell.

Hardly anyone pots a player for playing like garbage or costing a team a win. The closest they'll get is "oh that's very unlike him" and "he'll learn from that".

The whole industry is a boys club who's goal is to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back