Why do Geelong get a free ride?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
The constant I hear from interstate supporters is how Victorian clubs have a distinct home ground advantage when playing a Grand Final. I hear about travel time on planes.

The constant I hear from Victorians is how interstate teams get to play on the grounds they train, share with one one other tenant, max! Which gives them a distinct advantage to clock wins during the home and away.

They (we) all gloss over a few key facts,

1. Whilst Fremantle share a home ground with West Coast, they have an advantage to train and play on a field 16 others access at most, twice a year. Making it vastly easier to tske advantage of home field advantage to win matches throughout the season, much harder to win Grand final day.

2. Collingwood share the same home ground with 9 other clubs, and whilst clubs like Essendon and the Saints aren't technically residents of the MCG, they play their enough to offset any advantage Collingwood would have over the venue.

No one complains Melbourne play all the home games at the G, and no one did for Richmond from 1983-2016. It only becomes an issue whrn the team is successful, and far too much credit is placed on the 'favourable' fixture than the quality of the team. When Melbourne do come good, people will begin complaining about an advantage they clearly don't have.

Whilst interstate and Victorian supporters squabble in a simplistic and unsophiscated manner (me included), one club gets away with the free pass of all free passes.

Lets look at Geelong
- Play frequently at the MCG for familiarity of the surface? (YES.) They share the same advantage Victorian clubs have over the interstate.

- Play frequently on the home ground they train on, one they share with one one tenant. (YES.) They share the same advantage interstate clubs have over Victorian teams. An advantage thst doesn't help in finals, but helps during the home and away.

Much was made of Geelong's insistence to play their home finals at their home ground, but besides the fans being locked out, the AFL promising a home final in their home state, not home ground and the sheer money lost by all. Geelong didn't once complain playing Melbourne or Richmond at the MCG, until they began losing. Infact, much has been made of Richmond's success agaisnt Geelong in finals at the G, but let's not forget until Richmond's win over Geelong in 2017, The Tigers hadnt beaten Geelong at the MCG since 1999!!

Now, on this day, Geelong are urging the AFL to play all their home games at the Cattery once again, why can't the Bulldogs play at Whitten? Carlton at ikon? What about hawthorn at Waverly? Could you Guess how many more wins the Bulldogs would have this season if they played Whitten Oval? Geelong get this, every, single, year. In fact, they don't lose at the Cattery, how could you? Home crowd, inability of opposition to even get a seat and ground dimensions unlike any surface.

How have Geelong gotten away with this 'caught in the middle' advantage that no club in the league shares with them?

In my opinion, at no point should any of their demands be met, stripping home games from the Cattery is the direction we should be headed.

Last edited:
I get what you mean, but it isn’t their issue that their stadium in Geelong happened to be 1 of 3 AFL stadiums in Victoria. I don’t expect Geelong to travel to Melbourne just for the sake of equality and I certainly hope the AFL don’t act on that idea either.

Look, I personally don’t pay too much attention to it. The reason is that they may have an advantage in the H&A season, but if they are not good enough, then they’ll likely get found out in the finals at some stage.

Where the heck should Geelong play home games? Sounds obvious as hell to anyone with half a brain that Geelong playing home games in Geelong makes perfect sense. If we want to get serious, the fact that nine Melbourne teams play at just the two home grounds, that is when they're not selling out and playing at Tassie, Alice Springs etc is the real disgrace here.

I'd imagine most fans would love to see more variety, Richmond at Punt Road, Carlton at Princes Park, Bulldogs at Whitten Oval, Hawthorn at Waverley etc. It's not and will never be Geelong's fault that every Melbourne club decided to pack up and leave and amalgamate into carbon copies of each other. A better suggestion than yours would be to re-brand the Melbourne teams as follows:

Melbourne Demons
Melbourne 2 (formerly Collingwood)
Melbourne 3 (formerly Footscray)
Melbourne 4 (formerly Hawthorn)
Melbourne 5 (formerly North Melbourne)
Melbourne 6 (formerly St.Kilda)
Melbourne 7 (formerly Richmond)
Melbourne 8 (formerly Essendon)
Melbourne 9 (formerly Carlton)

Because let's be honest, that's really what they are at this point. :)

This thread is main board worth and warrants a serious discussion
Absolutely, been bullied by Mods is what's happening instead. Interstate supporters think Geelong is a city, only by name, it's a country town an hour away on the freeway.

It was moved before anyone even viewed it and obviously Geelong supporters have savaged it.

If GEELONG should play their games at GEELONG. Then FOOTSCRAY should play their games this season at FOOTSCRAY.

They get the easiest free ride and we can't even use the forum to acrually talk about it.

The constant I hear from interstate supporters is how Victorian clubs have a distinct home ground advantage when playing a Grand Final. I hear about travel time on planes.

The constant I hear from Victorians is how interstate teams get to play on the grounds they train, share with one one other tenant, max! Which gives them a distinct advantage to clock wins during the home and away.

1. Whilst Fremantle share a home ground with West Coast, they have an advantage to train and play on a field 16 others access at most, twice a year. Making it vastly easier to tske advantage of home field advantage to win matches throughout the season, much harder to win Grand final day.

2. Collingwood share the same home ground with 9 other clubs, and whilst clubs like Essendon and the Saints aren't technically residents of the MCG, they play their enough to offset any advantage Collingwood would have over the venue.

No one complains Melbourne play all the home games at the G, and no one did for Richmond from 1983-2016. It only becomes an issue whrn the team is successful, and far too much credit is placed on the 'favourable' fixture than the quality of the team. When Melbourne do come good, people will begin complaining about an advantage they clearly don't have.

Whilst interstate and Victorian supporters squabble in a simplistic and unsophiscated manner (me included), one club gets away with the free pass of all free passes.

Lets look at Geelong
- Play frequently at the MCG for familiarity of the surface? (YES.) They share the same advantage Victorian clubs have over the interstate.

- Play frequently on the home ground they train on, one they share with one one tenant. (YES.) They share the same advantage interstate clubs have over Victorian teams. An advantage thst doesn't help in finals, but helps during the home and away.

Much was made of Geelong's insistence to play their home finals at their home ground, but besides the fans being locked out, the AFL promising a home final in their home state, not home ground and the sheer money lost by all. Geelong didn't once complain playing Melbourne or Richmond at the MCG, until they began losing. Infact, much has been made of Richmond's success agaisnt Geelong in finals at the G, but let's not forget until Richmond's win over Geelong in 2017, The Tigers hadnt beaten Geelong at the MCG since 1999!!

Now, on this day, Geelong are urging the AFL to play all their home games at the Cattery once again, why can't the Bulldogs play at Whitten? Carlton at ikon? What about hawthorn at Waverly? Could you Guess how many more wins the Bulldogs would have this season if they played Whitten Oval? Geelong get this, every, single, year. In fact, they don't lose at the Cattery, how could you? Home crowd, inability of opposition to even get a seat and ground dimensions unlike any surface.

How have Geelong gotten away with this 'caught in the middle' advantage that no club in the league shares with them?

In my opinion, at no point should any of their demands be met, stripping home games from the Cattery is the direction we should be headed.
Yep, just kick em' out of the league!

Lets look at Geelong

1590544323912.png

Absolutely, been bullied by Mods is what's happening instead. Interstate supporters think Geelong is a city, only by name, it's a country town an hour away on the freeway.

It was moved before anyone even viewed it and obviously Geelong supporters have savaged it.

If GEELONG should play their games at GEELONG. Then FOOTSCRAY should play their games this season at FOOTSCRAY.

They get the easiest free ride and we can't even use the forum to acrually talk about it.
1590544692693.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy s**t you just expect this to be another sooky la la Richmond pinhead having another whinge before you even open the thread. 2 flags in 3 years and they still suffer from 4 decades worth of inferiority complex and ridicule. 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back