Why do GWS get a home final at Spotless for the prelim?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well here we go - the calls for an upgrade of Spotless have begun...

Increasing capacity of Spotless Stadium to 35,000 in pipeline so fans won’t be turned away

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...y/news-story/1b9f11bf82fd5592e5e0ace278939b0b

Personally, I think 35k would be preferred (as opposed to 30k which is also an option). Might as well go big for the future. But I think it is too soon. Surely GWS would want a few Home and Away sellouts first? Here in Canberra, they've had a couple - and we are still waiting for Manuka to be upgraded :(

Big Bash Cricket team (Thunder) also have a say according to article...

Excellent...But the big question is always the funding.

Finals grounds should have minimum sizes.

Who gives a s**t, we are not playing it at the Swans home ground, the only other option is ours, so really, you just need to suck it up

Meanwhile Geelong has to play away from their home ground, and Sydney had to host you at ANZ due to the AFLs inconsistent implementation of their own rules.

I acknowledge and accept that it's happening, but don't think that precludes me from discussing that inconsistency.

Last edited:
Do you think Sydney would achieve better on a Saturday for a Prelim? We're not talking a H&A match after all, and at the very least there will be a lot more away fans than usual.

This, and previous comments about only standing room being left seems to support my point that over 30K would have been more than possible at a larger ground.

At night? Not sure the Swans would have got more than we got last week (38k). During the day possibly, but I can't see that happening with the networks and the AFL caring about one thing- ratings. These sides don't have the capacity at this stage to get that figure though. There is ZERO point in forcing GWS to play at a ground they have played like once in 4 years (all derby's before this year were at ANZ). There is no home ground advantage whatsoever there.

Excellent...But the big question is always the funding.

Looks like it wont be an issue with the owners of the ground, the Agricultural Society, happy for it to proceed. Having the Big Bash there also help with the push to expand.

Like I said, my only concern is that GWS may not be quite ready for it yet. Don't forget when the ground is upgraded, there would also be increased costs for playing. E.g. the break even crowd for GWS might rise to say 25k at a 35k capacity ground.

This year, GWS averaged 12,126 for the 8 games at Spotless. Take out the Swans derby, and the average drops to 10,780. This is not even half of the present capacity. I guess though they'll get a boost next year - hopefully 15k average crowd and 20k members.

Looks like it wont be an issue with the owners of the ground, the Agricultural Society, happy for it to proceed. Having the Big Bash there also help with the push to expand.

The Article made a comment about hoping to get money out of the NSW government, even though they got none in last years strategy document.

If the Agricultural society funds it, I assume they'd want a return, which could pump up GWS's rent significantly (especially as they only play 7 games there).

Just did a ticket search for best/any available tix to Spotless. 4 tickets (assuming a group) all gone. But you can still get groups of 3 and two. These are of course the Cat 1 $179 tickets.

Seems to be standing room left as well...but could not see any restricted view....

They really are limping to the line....

Like I said, my only concern is that GWS may not be quite ready for it yet. Don't forget when the ground is upgraded, there would also be increased costs for playing. E.g. the break even crowd for GWS might rise to say 25k at a 35k capacity ground.

This year, GWS averaged 12,126 for the 8 games at Spotless. Take out the Swans derby, and the average drops to 10,780. This is not even half of the present capacity. I guess though they'll get a boost next year - hopefully 15k average crowd and 20k members.

Went to the Eagles v GWS, was GWS first chance to beat the Eagles, cement a top 4 spot, playing another top 8 team, finals coming up, perfect weather, etc, etc. Couldn't get 11K there. In a city that big, and with a young successful team, I can see why it's such a pathetic crowd, I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Your considered and well intentioned input is appreciated

just-kidding-w6aavc.jpg

Einstein you aint.
It wouldnt even take 1/2 his IQ to see why they put it in a boutique stadium. That way if tickets sales were 'slow', it wouldn't cost the AFL much to fill it.
Its not a slur or an insult, its a fact. The AFL wouldnt want a 20k crowd in a 60k stadium. The AFL are all about image. The fans come a distant 4th after their image, corporates, & players.

Einstein you aint.
It wouldnt even take 1/2 his IQ to see why they put it in a boutique stadium. That way if tickets sales were 'slow', it wouldn't cost the AFL much to fill it.
Its not a slur or an insult, its a fact. The AFL wouldnt want a 20k crowd in a 60k stadium. The AFL are all about image. The fans come a distant 4th after their image, corporates, & players.

Not sure what this has to do with your comment I was replying to but :thumbsu: anyway

Einstein you aint.
Which is completely different to the comment he was responding to about the AFL paying kids to go.

Correct :) I'm not bad at following a logical thread of discussion, but this guy is challenging to say the least

So you pick a small piece of a post which was about why the AFL chose a boutique stadium for a final & had a throw away line dealing with ensuring the AFL present the image of a full stadium, ( even though they may get more than that stadium can hold).
It wasnt the point of the whole post.
Challenging is at least one word l could apply. I have others that might better apply.
God its hard!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you pick a small piece of a post which was about why the AFL chose a boutique stadium for a final & had a throw away line dealing with ensuring the AFL present the image of a full stadium, ( even though they may get more than that stadium can hold).
It wasnt the point of the whole post.
Challenging is at least one word l could apply. I have others that might better apply.
God its hard!

Challenging is a perfect word my man, your ENTIRE post I quoted is below, follow the links yourself if you are still troubled and filled with doubt

"Whatever aren't sold they'll give away or pay school kids to go."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back