Why do GWS get a home final at Spotless for the prelim?

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it ridiculous really, Spotless Stadium is next to ANZ stadium, so denying 20,000 people a chance to go to the game is counter-productive IMO. If Spotless was in a different part of Sydney, then I'd say good move, it'll help build GWS's profile in their heartland. But it isn't. ANZ stadium is literally a ten minute walk from Spotless stadium. Weird.

It won't get 44K at ANZ.. Look who they will be playing. Dogs or Hawks. At most will get 30K.

It won't get 44K at ANZ.. Look who they will be playing. Dogs or Hawks. At most will get 30K.
You're low-ball scenario of 30k is still 6k more than would otherwise be able to attend. Precedent was set last year with Dogs v Crows - crowd ended up being about 60k at the MCG which is 5k above Etihad capacity.

You're selling the crowd size short for the PF no matter who the opponent ends up being - it is a short commute from Melbourne to Sydney and I would bet that minimum 10-15k members of either the Hawks or Dogs would make the trip up if the game was at ANZ. It is sheer madness to put a ceiling on a crowd size for a showcase PF in a developing market.

Meh, a sold out ground is better than one that's not!

Even yesterday looked average 60k in an 80k stadium isn't great. What's wrong with getting a 53k sellout!
7,000 supporters is what's wrong with it.

Preliminary Final week is the last week for ordinary members to be able to see their own team live in a premiership year - most of them won't be able to go the following week (particularly if they have to travel interstate). People should be able to go to the game if they wish.

Historically Hawks fans don't travel.
That's hilarious.
According to an AFL report a few years back, Hawthorn and Colligwood were top 2 for travelling Vic fans.
Just because we haven't had to doesn't mean we don't.
Half of the Launceston crowd each march are traveling Hawks. That is why the Govt pays us.

When buying tickets for yesterday you had to nominate Swans or Giants. Afl would know how many GWs fans attended. I would say around 10K tops. Might get a few more Giants, reckon Hawks will sell out Tuesday Dogs later in week.

Actually I was at Spotless for our H/A games this year. Carlton had most support closely followed by Coĺlingwood as you'd expect. Dont know the mix of traveĺlers and intetstate supporters. Buĺldogs had a surprising amount though, definitely more than the Hawks.
biggest non swans crowds at Spotless have been V Hawks.
24K Perfect size for GWS's whole support base and Hawks/Dogs to fill half the ground each.

Last edited:
But that's because it'll outdraw the capacity of their homeground, meaning lost $$$ and locking out fans.

Well the same thing happened in 2013

In 2012 Geelong vs Freo EF drew 45,000 to the MCG
In 2013 Geelong vs Freo QF drew 33,000 to Simmonds

Locking out fans also has a precedence as well.

Will a sell out at Spotless enable the ground to get a upgrade for a absolute fraction of the cost ( allegedly) that the NSW government is spending on codes who never seem to get anywhere near a sellout.
I'd think they'd need a few sell outs before they think about upgrading but the stadium was built with upgrades in mind down the open end of the goals. Will happen soon though but they need to be turning people away at the gate first.

Way off the mark mate. You've been getting 18-19k to home games this year. A prelim with a capacity of 24k? Prepare for riots outside the ground. The AFL better get some clarity on this over the next two weeks otherwise they're at risk of having fans turn away and significantly affecting their bottom line. They'll have to change the venue and they will because they have money eyes, even if it is to the detriment of their love child. I reckon it will sell out by Tuesday forcing a venue change.
I admire your misguided optimism.

I'd think they'd need a few sell outs before they think about upgrading but the stadium was built with upgrades in mind down the open end of the goals. Will happen soon though but they need to be turning people away at the gate first.

Yep, i would agree, putting the cart before the horse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They don't show up to their home games either. Hence 21 years in Launceston.

Such a shame that the Hawthorn Football Club (who drew 40,000 plus against 3 non Vic clubs at MCG home fixtures) needs to subsidize the Essendon Football Club to remain solvent.

As the ONLY Victorian club that can draw half decent crowds to games not propped up by opposition fans (i.e. 61,587 v Swans, 45,792 v Crows and 42,977 v Eagles) should it be a surprise really?

The Hawthorn Football Club was also the Giants second largest drawing opponent (behind Sydney) at Spotless. Drawing 13,766 in 2016 and 13,566 in 2015 which dwarfs all other Victorian clubs.

The poster that claimed that Footscray are a larger draw (oh), well the Giants and Dogs drew a measly 9,612...

But dont let the facts get in the way of a pretty ace story :drunk:

Last edited:
I can't understand the whinging.
"Home team plays prelim vs interstate side at their home ground".
Why is that outrageous?
So you agree with Geelong playing their PF against an interstate side at our home ground

With no more footy at ANZ, which was the next biggest ground with 83,500, where do you expect the AFL to hold the Grand Final?
Perth Stadium in being built to 60k but with an option to extend to 70k. Adelaide Oval (currently 53k) has the big chunk missing at the cathedral end which one day will be replaced with stand to match southern stand - capacity would then be somewhere between 60k - 70k (my guess). Either of those options could conceivably one day work - although my personal thoughts are that an opportunity was missed to host one at ANZ, given the focus on expansion into NSW.

The continual hypocrisy and double standards applied by the AFL is astonishing. This is yet another example. Stevie J getting off will be another. The incredibly unfair academy setup is another.... ... ... ...

ee7c7c97ca5f729fa9bae9478002d642.jpg

Perth Stadium in being built to 60k but with an option to extend to 70k. Adelaide Oval (currently 53k) has the big chunk missing at the cathedral end which one day will be replaced with stand to match southern stand - capacity would then be somewhere between 60k - 70k (my guess). Either of those options could conceivably one day work - although my personal thoughts are that an opportunity was missed to host one at ANZ, given the focus on expansion into NSW.

The 03 and 04 gfs should have been at anz given the mcg reno at the time

Some strange footy ovals up in NSW: Phil Davis said "We've only lost two games there this year and obviously whenever you get to play on your home ground it's a great advantage. But as we said going into the ANZ Stadium game - it's just grass with eight posts at each end."
8 posts at each end....I guess it should be a high scoring game then ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back