2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
MJ, Prince, Delores from Cranberries, Marie from Roxette, Tupac, Kurt Cobain, Jeff Buckley, Amy Winehouse

And a * load more

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Otis Redding, Jim Morrison, Elvis Presley, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Nico, Roy Orbison, Janis Joplin - all iconic singers in the 1960s, all died younger than Prince at the very least, with only Orbison making it into his early 50s.

Weird thread.

Amy Winehouse also didn't release anything until 2003 so not sure why she's lumped in.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
They've been a lot of very young stars dying recently too: Avicii, Juice WRLD, Mac Miller, lil peep, XXXTENTACION, Pop Smoke, etc. Of them, Avicii is the only one who even made 27.

But yes, Madonna seems the last of those top tier 80s megastars (MJ, Prince, George Michael, Whitney, etc.), and Eddie Vedder also looks set to considerably outlast the other comparable grungey frontmen like Cobain, Cornell, Staley, Weiland. It is sad when a perceived group just craters like that.

Last edited:
And there would be hundreds of other singers that passed away that aren't well known.

Dan Hartman
Jimi Jamison (Survivor)
Teena Marie
Izora Armstead (The Weather Girls)
Paul Young (Mike & The Mechanics
Melanie Appleby (Mel & Kim)

And a fu** load (x2) more.

GroggSquad

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
They've been a lot of very young stars dying recently too: Avicii, Juice WRLD, Mac Miller, lil peep, XXXTENTACION, Pop Smoke, etc. Of them, Avicii is the only one who even made 27.

But yes, Madonna seems the last of those top tier 80s megastars (MJ, Prince, George Michael, Whitney, etc.), and Eddie Vedder also looks set to considerably outlast the other comparable grungey frontmen like Cobain, Cornell, Staley, Weiland. It is sad when a perceived group just craters like that.

Phil Collins, Janet Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Billy Idol & Paul Simon say hi?

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
But it doesn't prove the thread title wrong because he isn't of the 80's and 90's.

The title was:

Why do iconic singers of the 80s and 90s die but no one else?

'No one else' can reasonably be assumed to be Morrison, Joplis and Hendrix.

Eddie Vedder was iconic during the 90's and he's still alive.

Vince Neil, Axl Rose, Bon Jovi, Bono and David Lee Roth were iconic during the 80s are still with us.

Bon Scott was of the 70's and barely made it into 1980.

A study a decade back suggested that the average age of your typical musician is the same as Zimbabwe's life expectancy (i.e. - in your 40's). In that regards, it's a miracle that Vince Neil, Ozzy Osbourne and Robert Plant have surpassed 60 and 70 respectively. Meanwhile, in a tragic irony, a clean living young guitarist (Randy Rhoads) died young, just after turning 25.

The title was:

Why do iconic singers of the 80s and 90s die but no one else?

'No one else' can reasonably be assumed to be Morrison, Joplis and Hendrix.

Eddie Vedder was iconic during the 90's and he's still alive.

Vince Neil, Axl Rose, Bon Jovi, Bono and David Lee Roth were iconic during the 80s are still with us.

Bon Scott was of the 70's and barely made it into 1980.

A study a decade back suggested that the average age of your typical musician is the same as Zimbabwe's life expectancy (i.e. - in your 40's). In that regards, it's a miracle that Vince Neil, Ozzy Osbourne and Robert Plant have surpassed 60 and 70 respectively. Meanwhile, in a tragic irony, a clean living young guitarist (Randy Rhoads) died young, just after turning 25.
I took the question to mean no one else (other singers) from the 80's or 90's have died.

BTW, I'm not sticking up for the OP, beside being poorly worded, it is perhaps the dumbest question ever asked on Bigfooty.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
I took the question to mean no one else (other singers) from the 80's or 90's have died.

BTW, I'm not sticking up for the OP, beside being poorly worded, it is perhaps the dumbest question ever asked on Bigfooty.

Even on those terms, the question's idiotic.

The four I listed were iconic, at least during that era.

Back