Why do premiership coaches receive two medals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I've been curious why, ever since the early 2000's, the premiership coaches end up with two medals around their necks -

images
583268_25a62da331d170261fb6fa2a366ead24.jpeg

Mr Google provided me some background -

Since 2001, the premiership coach is awarded the Jock McHale Medal, in honour of McHale's brilliant coaching record. The AFL has retrospectively made this award to each premiership coach since 1950, the year after McHale retired as a coach.

However I don't understand why the coach gets two medals. Prior to 2001 they just received the "Premiership coach's medal", now they seem to get a premiership medallion on top of the McHale Medal. Why?

Big deal? No.
A curiosity of AFL football? Sure.

Penny for your thoughts.

I've been curious why, ever since the early 2000's, the premiership coaches end up with two medals around their necks -

images
583268_25a62da331d170261fb6fa2a366ead24.jpeg

Mr Google provided me some background -

Since 2001, the premiership coach is awarded the Jock McHale Medal, in honour of McHale's brilliant coaching record. The AFL has retrospectively made this award to each premiership coach since 1950, the year after McHale retired as a coach.

However I don't understand why the coach gets two medals. Prior to 2001 they just received the "Premiership coach's medal", now they seem to get a premiership medallion on top of the McHale Medal. Why?

Big deal? No.
A curiosity of AFL football? Sure.

Penny for your thoughts.
wtf didnt they just rename the premiership coaches medal after jm. Fmd sometimes the simplest solution is beyond the grasp of highly paid men. And i say men. A highly paid woman wouldnt be that stupid.

wtf didnt they just rename the premiership coaches medal after jm. Fmd sometimes the simplest solution is beyond the grasp of highly paid men. And i say men. A highly paid woman wouldnt be that stupid.

I think you underestimate highly paid women’s ability to be stupid...I do like your idea though, no real need for two medals but meh

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I guess they just made it an extra award. Wonder if has anything to do with the change back in the day to have the Premiership Coach named the All-Australian Coach.

Side issue, in trying to find info on this, who knew about the Jack Collins medal for the leading goalscorer in the GF??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_Grand_Final

The leading goalkicker or goalkickers in the grand final receive the Jack Collins Medal, named after Jack Collins who kicked seven goals in Footscray's grand final victory in 1954. The award was first presented by the AFL Premiership Players' Club in 2010,[27] and was also awarded retrospectively to leading goalkickers from previous grand finals.

http://www.aflpremiershipplayersclub.com.au/index.php/about-us/jack-colins-medal

The inaugral medal was won in 2010 by Collingwood's Alan Didak, Chris Dawes, Brent Macaffer, Steele Sidebottom and Sharrod Wellingham when each kicked two goals for the premiership team.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

I must admit I've always wondered this myself.

At some point they stopped giving the coach 2 medals when on the dais, but as the recent GF shows, the coach still ends up with two medals. Why???

I think you underestimate highly paid women’s ability to be stupid...I do like your idea though, no real need for two medals but meh

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Topic for another thread perhaps but fmd men are stupid
I guess they just made it an extra award. Wonder if has anything to do with the change back in the day to have the Premiership Coach named the All-Australian Coach.

Side issue, in trying to find info on this, who knew about the Jack Collins medal for the leading goalscorer in the GF??

http://www.aflpremiershipplayersclub.com.au/index.php/about-us/jack-colins-medal

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Stupid medal. That's why they don't present it on the podium. They know nobody gives a fart.

GAS owns that medal..... nobody else matters.

I have nfi who won JCM in 2016 (my eutopia) and i will kill the first.person who tells me that it matters.

Topic for another thread perhaps but fmd men are stupid

Stupid medal. That's why they don't present it on the podium. They know nobody gives a fart.

GAS owns that medal..... nobody else matters.

I have nfi who won JCM in 2016 (my eutopia) and i will kill the first.person who tells me that it matters.

It matters mate!!

....okay I'm going into hiding now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Best thread on BF in quite a while, all interesting questions.

I reckon they need to threshold the JCM to avoid farcical multi-award situations.

Bag of 3 goals minimum or no JCM awarded?

The point is, if you win there are medals and if you lose there's none. The number, colour and name of the medals is really not important.

I must admit I've always wondered this myself.

At some point they stopped giving the coach 2 medals when on the dais, but as the recent GF shows, the coach still ends up with two medals. Why???
Magic

Honestly if the AFL was serious you would get the JM Medal for the coach, the NS for best on ground, and all the players on the day, including the emergencies, get a medal.

If you include the emergencies, that then gives the club the opportunity to recognize 3 players who contributed during the season to the teams success who didn't make the final team for one reason or another.

Honestly if the AFL was serious you would get the JM Medal for the coach, the NS for best on ground, and all the players on the day, including the emergencies, get a medal.

If you include the emergencies, that then gives the club the opportunity to recognize 3 players who contributed during the season to the teams success who didn't make the final team for one reason or another.

Trust me.

If you are an emergency and didnt play you dont want a medal.

Its a very hollow feeling.

Trust me.

If you are an emergency and didnt play you dont want a medal.

Its a very hollow feeling.

Yeah because in a team sport requiring 27 games to win a Premiership it's only the Grand Final that matters; everyone else that didn't play on that day should hang their heads in collective shame knowing full well they've achieved and contributed nothing towards the success of their club for that season.

Only in Australia do we maintain this shitty attitude.

Buckley or someone who wanted one as a player probably lobbied for it and got his wish.

Yeah because in a team sport requiring 27 games to win a Premiership it's only the Grand Final that matters; everyone else that didn't play on that day should hang their heads in collective shame knowing full well they've achieved and contributed nothing towards the success of their club for that season.

You obviously have never been an emergency then.

I have. Then played the following year.big difference.

When you dont get selected and play a medal doesnt make you feel good at all. You only want a medal when you play.

Seems thoughts like yours to give medals for the extended squad is there to make others feel better about it not the actual players.

Thats my personal experience and veiw anyway.

Last edited:

There are circumstances where being an emergency and you would not want a medal. How about if you play every game for the season, get 2nd mention from your Club in the Final that gets your team into the Grand Final, only to be dropped for the Grand Final..

Been there, and I struggled to even force myself to the ground to watch. Certainly wanted no part of 'their' victory celebrations.

There are circumstances where being an emergency and you would not want a medal. How about if you play every game for the season, get 2nd mention from your Club in the Final that gets your team into the Grand Final, only to be dropped for the Grand Final..

Been there, and I struggled to even force myself to the ground to watch. Certainly wanted no part of 'their' victory celebrations.

Know the feeling brother.

I celerbrated with my mates though and hid my dissappointment. Clubs first ever flag helped a bit.

Thought the coach was a prick due to nepotism picking his sons.

Gritted my teeth and made sure I got one the next year......thankfully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back