Why do so many - even the young - now prefer old music over new?

Remove this Banner Ad

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Maybe because back then music represented something completely different than today.
image_2023-06-20_173422021.png

Last edited:

No new rock icons. Cant keep rolling out the stones forever
Plenty of great tribute bands, but where’s the new stuff (that will be classics)?
There ain’t none!
Been saying it for years.
The music people listen to now won’t be around in twenty years.

No doubt, there would be bands out there doing it, but so hard for them to get through.
I’ll just keep rolling out the Stones for ever!

peetoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did rock anthems in arenas kill rock?

In contrast country, jazz, even disco have modern derivatives which live on in some form

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Not too many posts back I said no new rock icons. I suppose there’s no new classical masterworks either
you want stars or you want music? society changing doesn't mean there haven't been plenty of great rock bands/albums over the last 10-15 years, who have achieved some level of mainstream success.

peetoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
you want stars or you want music? society changing doesn't mean there haven't been plenty of great rock bands/albums over the last 10-15 years, who have achieved some level of mainstream success.

I’d be pleased to hear of these new bands. Restore my faith. Surely some are recent not 15 years old - which is a generation according to generational descriptors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
I’d be pleased to hear of these new bands. Restore my faith. Surely some are recent not 15 years old - which is a generation according to generational descriptors
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard are doing pretty well. Very prolific, 24 albums since 2010. They have huge following all over the world and are probably Australia's biggest band OS.
Temper Trap haven't been too bad either. First album 2009.

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Feck they said rock would never die. As a renewing genre it has

So sad

Yeh i know right!
On the other hand we had it good for ages, at least 5 decades. up until the end of the 2000s. There's been good bands and albums since 2010, but something is still missing.
Another problem i have is a lot of new music isn't even that memorable like music used to be. Alright, so it's pop or EDM, it's indie-lite and the singer has been hitting the gym for five years, big woop!, but if a song is great it sounds good on any instrument, that's the issue. Modern music has sort of become disposable, even more than previous decades.

The biggest selling artists of the 2010s and the the ones that sell out stadiums in minutes are, Ed Sheeran, Adele, and Taylor Swift. Oh and Beyonce, yes and Bieber(not saying they aren't good artists, just very predictable). They are the biggest artists of the last decade. But yes, something is an amiss in terms of feature music. Luckily we do have a good indie rock, punk, metal, hip-hop, electronic and plundaphone scene, crossovers, etc, but they don't get featured like the big artists do.

We are very lucky to have Tame Impala, King Gizzard, Pond, C Barnett, Ocean Alley Gang Of Youths, Birds of Tokyo, Avalanches, The Beths, Drones etc and lots more..

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
I found an article written by Alan Cackett, whose website, loaded with archives of biographies, features and interviews he’s done with artists over the decades dating right back to the early 1970’s, is one of my sources for that country music history stuff I do. Although it’s now 5 years old, I reckon it’s still just as applicable today. The article refers specifically to country music, but I consider the issue is relevant across the broader commercial music genres.

The author, Alan Cackett, is English and has been active over 50 years since c1970 as a music magazine publisher/editor, freelance journalist, interviewer, biographer, writing album liner notes, writing and compiling 2 country music encyclopaedias, concert and gig promoter, festival organiser, artist manager, radio presenter and tour organiser/agent, so he’s seen and often interviewed most of the greats (not just country, but pop and rock) over the decades.

The article is balanced - he makes the point that good vocalists are still around - but image and personality is now preferred by the industry to actual singing ability. Having listened to hundreds of old country songs from the 1950’s onwards by dozens of artists (Cackett lists a few of the great vocalists below) since the Covid lock-down got me going into it, I have to agree with the article-

“… Stripped bare of all the studio production tricks and lacking a band to paper over the cracks, both Kip Moore and Luke Combs emerged as poor Fourth Division vocalists.

At times I couldn’t really tell them apart vocally, and unlike the other three singers on the stage, they both failed to engage me on any kind of emotional level. The only bright spot, when it came to their turn to sing, was the often hilarious introductions to a song, that set the audience up for something great, only to fall flat, when vocally, they failed to actually sell what was quite often a rather good song.

Unlike Brett, Nicolle and Natalie, who are regarded first-and-foremost as songwriters, both Kip Moore and Luke Combs are recognised as bonafide country stars, i.e. they are major recording artists and touring acts in the top league.

Increasingly, it seems that record labels are signing vocalists that in days gone by, would not have passed a simple audition. These days, if they have the necessary stage bluster and fit the current image of a major country star (bulging muscles, beard and backwards baseball cap), then their vocal ability is overlooked.

With the exception of a small number of distinctive and passionate vocalists, the majority of today’s current crop of male country singers do not possess that indefinable ingredient that saw names like Marty Robbins, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, George Strait, Jim Reeves, Don Williams, Glen Campbell, Alan Jackson and Buck Owens, become true icons of country music. …”

peetoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They thought music needed a revolution with punk. It’s much more dire today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back