why do umpires ruin the game

Remove this Banner Ad

It was VERY clear cut. 50m penalty every day of the week. Sitting at home watching it, you knew it was a 50 before the ump even called it. Context of the game has nothing to do with it. For an experienced player, Hunt should have known better.

Agree, umpires ruined the game last night. (Not that I'm complaining in this instance)

No doubt the 50 was there, but everyone knows that umpires don't pay those decisions in the dying minutes of the game. If they did it every game I wouldn't mind, but they don't.

Definitely got us out of jail.

Gavin I bet u weren't complaining last year when pendles had his play on scrubbed and you won? Suck it up princess

Yes we were, because it should have been a free to Ottens immediately prior.

Anyway, what happens if Fasolo plays on, handballs to a team mate which results in a goal? Does Fasolo get penalised for running over the mark?

More to the point, is this the same umpire who made a similarly terrible umpiring blunder in the final against St Kilda in 2010 that also cost us the game?

Bottom line though, Pies were the better team on the night and there's no shame in losing a tight one to such a good team.

Yes we were, because it should have been a free to Ottens immediately prior.

Anyway, what happens if Fasolo plays on, handballs to a team mate which results in a goal? Does Fasolo get penalised for running over the mark?

More to the point, is this the same umpire who made a similarly terrible umpiring blunder in the final against St Kilda in 2010 that also cost us the game?

Bottom line though, Pies were the better team on the night and there's no shame in losing a tight one to such a good team.
Matt Stevic was the umpire who awarded the free kick to Gwilt last year in the final aginst us.

the fact that this thread exists is ridiculous.

the fact that cats fans are saying it lost them the game is ridiculous. we had the ball 60m out from goal with over a minute remaining. could very well have registered a score with that entry regardless of the 50 or not..

and there was another goal kicked after that was there not?

beaten by a better team who even being down 2 rotations in the last quarter were still able to repel the geelong advances.

and regarding the actual decision: fasolo did not play on, and he was tackled after taking a mark. they are the FACTS. as others have mentioned, correct decision that had to be paid.

It looked more like a poorly disguised attempt at a mark of a ball well and truly over the line and in the same motion a 2 handed throw of the ball which I think ended going down a race and chewing up close to 30 seconds. Absolute 50m penalty that was missed by the ump and considering the time clock of the match and score I am interested if time wasting is still a reportable offence.

Yep ..should have been pinged ..weak gutted decision by the Umpire in control ...but then again the Pies got the run of the Umpiring all game ..having said that the 5o was there ..Hunt had a shocker.

It was VERY clear cut. 50m penalty every day of the week. Sitting at home watching it, you knew it was a 50 before the ump even called it. Context of the game has nothing to do with it. For an experienced player, Hunt should have known better.

For a decision you say gets payed everyday of the week I'd like to know what day today is. Just in the third quarter alone so many similar incidents havnt been awarded fifty.

Hunt could have just extended his arms to stop Fasolo playing on but he grabbed him around the waist and that's a fifty every day of the week. It should be paid regardless of the situation of the game. The idea that the umpires need to put the whistle away and ignore obvious free kicks just because it's the last few minutes of a close game is, quite frankly, bullshit.

Accurate post, unfortunately some dills in this thread don't seem to realise this.

I'm surprised more hasn't been said of the Hawkins kick for goal that he fluffed and kicked out of bounds on the full which was paid a point. Boundary umpire was sitting on the point post, had the best view and called it on the full, the goal umpire who was still running from the centre of the goals and was nowhere near it "thought" it might have been a point. They went to the review, communications lost with upstairs and eventually they overruled the decision. Got that one totally wrong.

There is not one rulebook for the last five minutes of a close game, and a separate one for all other times. The context of the game has nothing to do with it.

And for whoever is suggesting that Stevic cost Geelong the 2010 final against St Kilda, you need to open your other eye mate.;) Impartial supporter and it was clearly in the back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back