Why do we have to suffer AFLW on Fox 504?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
' I doubt the men played that well back in 1897.

The 1897 season isn’t being repeated ad nauseam on the footy channel.

Why is it, in your haste to appear politically correct and enlightened, that you refuse to admit the skill level of the football played is not at a broadcastable standard.

I’m all for the AFLW being given a chance to develop but rather than rush into forming a league. I believe the AFL should have started with an underage league and build it up over 5-7 years from there.

This would have allowed the proper time for skills to be developed and produce a much higher standard of football

My opinion anyway.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m all for the AFLW being given a chance to develop but rather than rush into forming a league. I believe the AFL should have started with an underage league and build it up over 5-7 years from there.

This would have allowed the proper time for skills to be developed and produce a much higher standard of football

My opinion anyway.
But then cricket would’ve got the full glory of initiating professional sport for women.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
The 1897 season isn’t being repeated ad nauseam on the footy channel.

Why is it, in your haste to appear politically correct and enlightened, that you refuse to admit the skill level of the football played is not at a broadcastable standard.

My opinion anyway.

Do you know what amuses me about people like you? That you think that the reason people might have a certain perspective or opinion is just because we're 'bending to the will' of the politically correct narrative. It never occurs to you that perhaps the reason we might have an opinion, is because it actually comes from something more than 'shame' or 'peer pressure.' This instance is a perfect example of that.

For some of us, AFLW is a recognition that women can reach the same professional level of sport that men can. Undoubtedly, some of the women's skill levels are not up to the levels of the men, but their intent is there and the example they set for all the aspiring women is there too.

Just like auskickers performing at half-time and plying their trade in front of thousands of supporters, sometimes the skill level is not the most important thing when it comes to sport. Yes there might be some games that are hard to watch, but there are girls all over the country who are watching these women and thinking 'hey that could be me one day.' The amount of girls I see kicking the footy down in the park or down at the beach, has grown exponentially since the introduction of pathways to the highest level of AFL. Before AFLW was introduced, women had already plateaued and their playing was just seen as a 'gimmick' with no actual future. I know men here will still say that's the case, but to them I say give it time.

AFLW isn't just about sport as a whole, it's about girls thinking that they can play the same sport as men and not feel weird or 'butch' about it. It can actually become a legitimate thing. I know when my niece grows up, that I'll relish the chance to kick the footy around with her. I think that's a wonderful thing, and means much more than whether some people enjoy watching it on television or not.

Also, It's 7 weeks a year, so it's really not that bad lol. Any footy is better than no footy in my mind's eye. Just give them a chance and come back here in 5 years and whinge if it's not any better. 'Til then, know that I'm not 'pressured' and these opinions are my own. Stop trying to re-write a narrative like we're all robots lol.

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
To be fair 90% of what is shown on television is hardly what I'd call "broadcastable standard".

If you seriously believe that everyone who supports womens football does it to appear politically correct, as you seem to be insinuating, you are kidding yourself too

I'm happy the women and girls have a top level to strive for now.
I can only see the good in it, and happy to see it on FOX.
One concern is (probably already happens) is that due to the women's game not making enough money the AFL will up the prices on everything to do with the Men's game.
But one day when the AFLW is pulling bigger crowds and the skill level improves it will be really good to watch. I still watch it now but I know I can just turn it over if the skill level thus spectacle annoys me.

Fryman

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Springfield
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red Sox
For some of us, AFLW is a recognition that women can reach the same professional level of sport that men can.
But they literally can’t and never will. Quite frankly the product they’re putting out now is an embarrassment and the girls have not earned the right to be put on tv.

I guarantee not one of the AFLW players has put in as much work as the kids in the TAC cup, yet who gets on tv and who gets all the promotion.

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
But they literally can’t and never will. Quite frankly the product they’re putting out now is an embarrassment and the girls have not earned the right to be put on tv.

I guarantee not one of the AFLW players has put in as much work as the kids in the TAC cup, yet who gets on tv and who gets all the promotion.

Guaranteed? That's a little dramatic. So you must know every single AFLW player and their work ethic.
A pretty major difference between the two comps is that one runs during the AFL mens season and one does not. When Saturday afternoon AFL tv ratings are hardly impressive why would a TV network think it's a good idea to broadcast games from a local oval during that timeslot? Or any other timeslot really when there is more often than not an AFL game happening at the same time.

Have known plenty of TAC Cup kids who are rowdy 18 year olds and happen to be naturally talented footballers without putting in the work just quietly.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018

Something something...'men are better than women'...something something

Pretty sure Katie Brennan and Daisy Pearce for a start, have more work ethic than most TAC kids. Also, pretty sure any athlete that can play footy for 60-70 minutes of game time, has put in a lot of work to get their endurance to that level. I would love to see you do the same.

'But they literally can't and never will.' Well f*ck me, some random on the internet thinks that decades of work towards this stage should be thrown away because he thinks they won't get any better. Do you understand how goddamn pathetic that comment is? You honestly are saying that they will never get to that same elite level, because they're women. If that's not misogyny, I don't know what is.

Quite frankly I think you're an embarrassment to any women that you may have in your life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Something something...'men are better than women'...something something

Pretty sure Katie Brennan and Daisy Pearce for a start, have more work ethic than most TAC kids. Also, pretty sure any athlete that can play footy for 60-70 minutes of game time, has put in a lot of work to get their endurance to that level. I would love to see you do the same.

'But they literally can't and never will.' Well f*ck me, some random on the internet thinks that decades of work towards this stage should be thrown away because he thinks they won't get any better. Do you understand how goddamn pathetic that comment is? You honestly are saying that they will never get to that same elite level, because they're women. If that's not misogyny, I don't know what is.

Quite frankly I think you're an embarrassment to any women that you may have in your life.
I wonder if some of these heroes get as angry at Auskickers running out at half time.
Some of the disposals by those 5 year olds are shocking, yet the AFL continues to bow to political correctness and allow this inferior product to be shown at mens matches. :rolleyes:

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Because if we don't we're called you know what.
Should have stuck to mud wrestling, at least ratings would be good for a couple of weeks.

Fryman

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Springfield
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red Sox
Also, pretty sure any athlete that can play footy for 60-70 minutes of game time, has put in a lot of work to get their endurance to that level. I would love to see you do the same.
B815DE63-D992-4A62-A017-AB15CF251AE0.jpeg

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh look she's carrying some weight so the competition is obviously an embarrassment.

Ever heard of stuey dew?

Dew wasn't a fatso until well after he retired. He may have just passed the skinfolds test when he played, whereas, with all due respect, these two would fail a skinfolds test for ten-pin bowling

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Rubbish comp.
Then again I have zero interest in watching any AFL game from last year.
People watch games from last year, seriously ?? You need a hobby !

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Dew wasn't a fatso until well after he retired. He may have just passed the skinfolds test when he played, whereas, with all due respect, these two would fail a skinfolds test for ten-pin bowling

Dunstall, Lockett, Brownless and Fev in his later days weren't exactly models, and I'd say they forged pretty decent careers as stay at home full forwards...

Dew was a fatso lol. There is no way around that. He played in bursts and would have absolutely died in this day and age.

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Shouldn't the AFLW have their own channel if they really want to build their brand?

Why must the only AFL dedicated footy channel televise this sub standard form of the game instead of putting up some real football?

They seem to be having an AFLW feast at the moment, horrible to watch.

I love girls/ladies/women, but their standard of footy is hopeless and cringeworthy to watch.

The sooner the AFL realise this and abandon this doomed experiment the better.

Agree.

1. They will never have their own channel, the networks know the only way it survives or is relevant is by hanging it off the coat tails of the blokes. Not sexist, fact. Free entry confirms that anyway. Who is subsidising all these millions? Have a guess.

2. Get your Fox disconnected for 6 months, I argued with Fox that I never subscribed to that AFLW rubbish and refused to pay for it. They will put it back on for you in March, they would rather that than lose your business.

3. Standard is below that of an under 14's game. And they add more teams and recruit elite frisbee throwers and recently a professional skipping competitor. She used to represent the "Jumping Beans".... none of this is fake, all real.

4. Could not care less if they have a league, no probs. But throwing it down our throats and insultingly slipping it into our Fox Footy coverage without consulting the subscribers is a joke.

5. Call me a pig for not liking it.... who cares. I dont like it. Dont have too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back