Why women play the rough/risky game of AF? How can we get more?/Improve the AFLW? Any barriers?

Remove this Banner Ad

The new Govt has announced today a big increase for Cycleways funding - 100 million over 4 years - The program will link up important gaps from the previous govts plan, and new routes.
Perth is ideal for Cycling and sits on a mostly flat sand plain.
As far as I can tell that announcement for the schools was just about it. The Premier comes from Sydney and I thought well whats is going to happen to our game over here but not to worry the Treasurer still pulls the boots on for Aussie Rules. (Masters)
They came good on the new stadium deal so it turned out alright.
As a very keen cyclist, it's good to hear Perth is upgrading its cycling infrasructure -even just the green line on the road (ie bike lane) imbues confidence when trucks, cars are whizzing past.

The WA Govt. has made no mention of more funds for exclusive female facilities, more toilets etc? How about Local Councils?
(Many females do NOT like male change rooms)

As a very keen cyclist, it's good to hear Perth is upgrading its cycling infrasructure -even just the green line on the road (ie bike lane) imbues confidence when trucks, cars are whizzing past.

The WA Govt. has made no mention of more funds for exclusive female facilities, more toilets etc? How about Local Councils?
(Many females do NOT like male change rooms)
I have heard (it may have been the Freo women's team thread, or a conversation with someone, can't recall) from someone involved in a WA amateur club, of a survey of clubs looking at suitability for having women's teams. Access to change rooms and toilets etc. Not sure if there is any plan to fix stuff, or provide it if it isn't there, but it is a start.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

WS has c.155 community AF teams -nos. have doubled since 2012.
Club AF in Syd.'s sthn. suburbs still has very low nos. -but is also growing off a low base. Maroubra, St George & Camden are the only "strong" Clubs there. In other middle class areas, it is experiencing good growth (still a long way behind soccer, which is growing everywhere -& dominates in most schools in Syd.).

Has the WA Govt. stated specific ways in how it will achieve its goal ie "females (mid to late teens) to play some sport or another"?

Further on the topic of our game in Sydney and NSW in particular which includes Men and Women.
The comments below were taken from a Rugby League forum today and I have noticed that these type of remarks are now more common.

"RL appears to be on a generational down turn in Sydney based on TV ratings, crowd attendances and junior participation, its real strength has been in QLD and in particular rural Northern NSW and rural QLD for some time now."
"The grass roots positions between both codes could not be more distinct ATM, the AFL has had very significant growth in the Northern states, whilst RL has grown but nowhere near the same extent South."
"I would say the the gap is quite large now and growing." End comments
However as always a note of caution. Rugby League is a good fit for TV which apparently the NRL focusses on.
To end on a great note -The match at the SCG yesterday attracted a record crowd for the Swans- 46,000 was quoted on CH7 last night. Somethings happening up there -History will tell us later -What.

Further on the topic of our game in Sydney and NSW in particular which includes Men and Women.
The comments below were taken from a Rugby League forum today and I have noticed that these type of remarks are now more common.

"RL appears to be on a generational down turn in Sydney based on TV ratings, crowd attendances and junior participation, its real strength has been in QLD and in particular rural Northern NSW and rural QLD for some time now."
"The grass roots positions between both codes could not be more distinct ATM, the AFL has had very significant growth in the Northern states, whilst RL has grown but nowhere near the same extent South."
"I would say the the gap is quite large now and growing." End comments
However as always a note of caution. Rugby League is a good fit for TV which apparently the NRL focusses on.
To end on a great note -The match at the SCG yesterday attracted a record crowd for the Swans- 46,000 was quoted on CH7 last night. Somethings happening up there -History will tell us later -What.
This is the danger to the NRL. They appear to be deliberately (largely from necessity) focusing wing the sport as a TV product, and this is hurting other aspects of the game. The AFL is a TV product, but not to the extent NRL is, but is matching or exceeding the NRL in that regard, without hurting other aspects of the sport to nearly the same extent.

Personally I think TV revenue growth will flatten off, as FTA is extracting as much value as it can already. This will hurt the NRL a great deal more than it will hurt the AFL.

I think the gap in womens participation is going to hurt them, and they have left their run at it late. When it does happen, I think they will not be able to devote the resources to it AFL has. I suspect, based on admittedly not much, that the NRL viewing public will be less likely to embrace it than the AFL public. The NRL devotes a lot of pride in an image of a tough macho sport, that will sit oddly with a semi pro womens league.

Heard a bit of a worrying story about a local womens club and a "game" 75% of the list are playing on the other 25%.

Not the kind of image I would think is wanted when trying to grow the game with a wider audience.

Source is one of the players at the club who relayed it to a friend who is their work colleague.

Heard a bit of a worrying story about a local womens club and a "game" 75% of the list are playing on the other 25%.

Not the kind of image I would think is wanted when trying to grow the game with a wider audience.

Source is one of the players at the club who relayed it to a friend who is their work colleague.
What sort of "game".

Que?

What sort of "game".

The game basically involves one group trying to "turn" the other group despite many of those players having partners/families etc.

The person who relayed the story is probably going to quit because of it.

I'm sure this is an isolated case but it's not a great look.

The game basically involves one group trying to "turn" the other group despite many of those players having partners/families etc.

No offence, but that sounds f*cken stupid.

You don't just "turn people gay", and if there are a bunch of players trying to hit on other women in the team who aren't interested, then the rest of the playing group should straighten these f*ckwits out.

Did you hear it from Dermott Brereton?

No offence, but that sounds f*cken stupid.

You don't just "turn people gay", and if there are a bunch of players trying to hit on other women in the team who aren't interested, then the rest of the playing group should straighten these f*ckwits out.

Did you miss the part where 75% of the team are in on the game?

30 out of 40 players... That's not saying every player is but to the woman who's got an issue with it it must feel like that.

It does sound stupid, does not mean it's not happening.

What you are alleging is the antithesis of Club Culture.

Approx. when did this game commence? & approx. what % of women are direct & ACTIVE sleazes?

Are you suggesting the 75% are aware &, at the very least, willing to tolerate this alleged behaviour continuing?

In community AF, bad news/"secrets" nearly always become known eventually. And the consequences/damage to Club reputation are severe. Do you agree?

Were you told this directly by a female player -or is it hearsay information? 2nd hand/3rd hand etc.? What is your subjective view on the reliability of the source?

I am assuming this team is in a stand-alone women's Club (ie not sharing C'tee with a men's Club). Correct?

Does this Club does it have affiliated junior girls' team, playing/training at the same ground?

Do you fully support, in general terms, women playing AF?
Do you believe the more women who play AF in Aust., the likelihood increases there will be a diminution of players wishing to play female Gaelic Football here?

Do you believe the issue you have described has occurred in other women's team sports?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What you are alleging is the antithesis of Club Culture.

Approx. when did this game commence? & approx. what % of women are direct & ACTIVE sleazes?

Are you suggesting the 75% are, at the very least, willing to tolerate this alleged behaviour?

Yes. If silence is a form of acceptance. Or it's a sign of there being a dominant group whose bullying intimidates others from saying anything. Or it's a sign they are ok with the game.

In community AF, bad news/"secrets" nearly always become known eventually. And the consequences/damage to Club reputation are severe. When did this alleged issue commence?

I'm not sure I agree on that. When a WNBA player came out and made allegations of bullying and a toxic culture everyone turned on her.

Were you told this directly by a female player -or is it hearsay information? 2nd hand/3rd hand etc.? What is your subjective view on the reliability of the source?

A friend was talking to his work colleague who is the player who is not happy with the culture. I have complete confidence the source is reliable.
Too obscure a claim to put out there knowing my friend has zero to gain or even interest in discussing it.

It actually came out not because he was actively telling anyone, simply came out when another friend and I were discussing the Vic/Allies game.

I am assuming this is a stand-alone women's Club (ie not sharing C'tee with a men's Club). Correct?

I believe so.

Does this Club does have affiliated junior girls' team, playing/training at the same ground?

No idea, don't follow the club.

Do you fully support, in general terms, women playing AF?

Sure, wasn't a big fan of how the AFL went about it as I think the time line should have played out a little longer before commencing a league. There's a market for it though.

Do you believe the issue you have described has occurred in other women's team sports?

Yes, as per my reference to the WNBA.

All sports have issues with cliques often dominating a team or a league. Not sure why a women's team or competition would be devoid of any such situations arising.

When did this game commence?

I have asked some further questions.

Also, by checking the League which covers juniors in the area, it is possible to find out if girls' teams play/train at the same ground; & whether they are affiliated to the stand-alone women's team.
By putting this issue in the public domain, I assume you will promptly make appropriate, discreet enquiries to ascertain this information; & then promptly reply here.

How many women's teams does this Club have?

Last edited:
When did this game commence?

I have asked some further questions.

Also, by checking the League which covers juniors in the area, it is possible to find out if girls' teams play/train at the same ground; & whether they are affiliated to the stand-alone women's team.
By putting this issue in the public domain, I assume you will promptly make appropriate, discreet enquiries to ascertain this information; & then promptly reply here.

How many women's teams does this Club have?

I know what team it is. I'm just not going to divulge that information.

I just think if it's going on it's not a situation which is conducive to bringing in more women interested in playing football(at this club at least).

As I said, I doubt this is a common thing.

I just think if it's going on it's not a situation which is conducive to bringing in more women interested in playing football(at this club at least).

This should be reported to the AFLW hierarchy - Its up to you Bostonian - You drop this news on us and expect no reaction, especially if player/s are going to leave the game.
If this spreads around it could have some effect on future recruiting.

This should be reported to the AFLW hierarchy - Its up to you Bostonian - You drop this news on us and expect no reaction, especially if player/s are going to leave the game.
If this spreads around it could have some effect on future recruiting.

It's up to the player to to report it. It's one instance in a scenario of hundreds of teams. If there's other instances of sexuality being an issue among the clubs that's down to them to deal with it.

SEN Radio News 13.9

J.Merlino, Vic. Sports Minister, has announced Vic. will follow WA's decision last week on school girl attire ie in 2018, all State Schools will be compelled to offer all their female students the choice of wearing shorts & long pants (also dresses, of course) as Standard school uniform. The reasons offered for this policy change was to encourage more girls to be physically active during lunch time/other breaks.

Merlino said his girls, whose school already offer this choice, wear shorts or long pants in 9 days out of 10.

One of the main reasons for this compulsory change in WA & Vic. is that many girls now want to play kick-to-kick; but are reluctant to do this whilst wearing dresses.

Did you hear it from Dermott Brereton?
There is a video in the women's footy video section from 4 or 5 years ago, Melbourne Uni MUGARS I think, where players are openly having a laugh about that very thing.

Seemed to get a kick out of getting straight girls to 'cross to the dark side'.

I think it may be more common than you think. For a long time, footy was seen as a refuge and safe space for lesbians, and teenagers questioning there sexuality. The popular view of a lesbian culture in female footy was certainly based on a degree of reality.

To expect that just dumping a bunch of straight women in clubs with an established gay culture wasn't going to raise issues would be naive.

However, I think the problem will be most accute in longer established clubs.

My local women's team does have some openly gay players, but it started this year. It has been a mix from the start, and I suspect that creates a different dynamic.

There is a video in the women's footy video section from 4 or 5 years ago, Melbourne Uni MUGARS I think, where players are openly having a laugh about that very thing.

Seemed to get a kick out of getting straight girls to 'cross to the dark side'.

Having said all that, I cannot find the video, I may not of posted it because of its potential for controversy, based on what may well have been throw away lines. I will try to remember where I got it.

I think it may be more common than you think. For a long time, footy was seen as a refuge and safe space for lesbians, and teenagers questioning there sexuality. The popular view of a lesbian culture in female footy was certainly based on a degree of reality.

To expect that just dumping a bunch of straight women in clubs with an established gay culture wasn't going to raise issues would be naive.

However, I think the problem will be most accute in longer established clubs.

My local women's team does have some openly gay players, but it started this year. It has been a mix from the start, and I suspect that creates a different dynamic.

Not just women now. If young girls/teens are going to be coming up through the ranks if there's some predatory element involved at clubs where they push a sexual narrative within the club it will turn many parents off any club or even the sport if it's noticed going on.

The club I was informed of is a longer standing one.

Cricket Australia, in Sept.2017, is claiming it is seeking govt. etc. support to spend $1 BILLION, by 2022, to create 500 "female-friendly pavillions"! $2,000,000 for each pavillion seems very extravagant! An extraordinary figure which I have not heard before. The business case would require that taxpayer monies be spent most efficiently & prudently on female facilities that are used all year -thus AF share-grounds should be favoured/prioritized to obtain these huge funds.

We know that many females playing AF are not enamoured with using traditional male pavillions, lack of toilets, grubbiness etc. If this roll-out eventuates around Aust. where the grounds are shared with AF, it should assist AF Clubs recruiting more female players.
Anyone care to take a stab at the approx. % increase in female players, attributible to only them having their own change rooms, with more toilets etc.?
I think it might be c. 10% -it would be sending a very clear message that AF Clubs value females, & want them to play at their Club.

A big problem we have is that very large nos. of female players only play AF for their school ie they don't join a GR AF Club -why not?

Cricket is also claiming record regd. female participants for y/e June 2017 -c.400,000. Cricket Australia has stated it intends to spend $6,000,000 over the next 4 years on promoting jnr. girls cricket, "the biggest single investment by an Australian National sporting organization into teenage girls' sport".
How much is the AFL directly spending on teenage girls' AF? Given the fierce competition amongst female sports, should the cashed-up AFL be spending a lot more than $6,000,000 on its teenage girls comps. etc?

www.ausleisure.com.au/news/cricket-australia-reports-record-participation-numbers/

Last edited:
Cricket Australia, in Sept.2017, is claiming it is seeking govt. etc. support to spend $1 BILLION, by 2022, to create 500 "female-friendly pavillions"! $2,000,000 for each pavillion seems very extravagant! An extraordinary figure which I have not heard before. The business case would require that taxpayer monies be spent most efficiently & prudently on female facilities that are used all year -thus AF share-grounds should be favoured/prioritized to obtain these huge funds.

We know that many females playing AF are not enamoured with using traditional male pavillions, lack of toilets, grubbiness etc. If this roll-out eventuates around Aust. where the grounds are shared with AF, it should assist AF Clubs recruiting more female players.
Anyone care to take a stab at the approx. increase in female players, attributible to only them having their own change rooms, with more toilets etc.?
I think it might be 10% -it would be sending a very clear message that AF Clubs value females, & want them to play at their Club.

A big problem we have is that very large nos. of female players only play AF for their school ie they don't join a GR AF Club -why not?

Cricket is also claiming record female participants for y/e June 2017 -c.400,000. Cricket Australia has stated it intends to spend $6,000,000 over the next 4 years on promoting jnr. girls cricket, "the biggest single investment by an Australian National sporting organization into teenage girls 'sport".
How much is the AFL directly spending on teenage girls' AF? Given the fierce competition amongst female sports, should the cashed-up AFL be spending a lot more than $6,000,000 on its teenage girls comps. etc?

www.ausleisure.com.au/news/cricket-australia-reports-record-participation-numbers/

I would suggest the AFL is spending a lot more than $6M on teenage female football all up over four years. Much more in fact when you consider the number of academies etc. $6M over 4 years would be lucky to be 15 FTEs putting aside other operational costs

In terms of 14 and unders, the recent release of the Ausplay survey has Aus football at 60k and cricket at 29K. The large numbers the AFL (and cricket) report would include introductory programs as well as a school competitions. Also, the 60K that showed up in that survey is almost certainly well unders as the latest survey averaged from the middle of 2016 to middle of 2017 so will only have captured half the massive increase this year. I think football is doing very well getting girls playing in club teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back