Why do workers vote Liberal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Christopher Buttersnip

Beware of the Drop Bears
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm interested in knowing why PAYEE workers and employees generally vote Liberal when it is antithetical to their best interests.

I understand why those born with a silver spoon in every orifice who live a privileged existence like Millie want to protect their privileged lifestyle and let the workers "eat cake". However for the workers, under the Liberal stewardship:

1. Wages have stagnated. Every occasion there is a wage case put to the Liberal stacked Fair Work Commission the Liberals fight tooth and nail to oppose it.

2. The Liberals have casualised the workforce thereby robbing workers of job security and bargaining power and is a major factor in underemployment.

3. Whenever there are tax cuts it's the top end who are by far the major beneficiaries.

4. Executive pay has exploded as have payouts to failed executives.

5. The Liberals have sat on their hands while the big end of town has rorted the system. No better example than the banks.

6. Underpayment of workers is rife.

7. The Liberals wet dream is to Americanise the workforce where workers have to have little security, the pay is so poor workers need to work 2 and 3 jobs to keep a roof over their heads and in industries like hospitality and tourism rely on tips to survive.

8. Shown they have no genuine regard for women

9. Left us with a record deficit.

10. Want to privatise every government asset they can get a return on and do it stealthily - most recently Australia Post.

11. Waste millions of taxpayer funds on consultant mates.

12. "Dob Seeker" is an attack on the least among us.

Because people actually like their employers*

And the idea of bashing one's employer is met with hatred in the 21st century. Also giving money to their employers is seen positively
because people don't ******* hate their employers

*Could be because they get paid well or they have a open relationship with them or they are have flexible work hours

The OP is written a bit weird, seems more about hurrr durrrrr poor people dumb than asking a genuine question about why Australian working class people vote for right wing parties.

A better question is, why does the ALP persist with being a lukewarm neoliberal alternative to the LNP despite having limited success at the polls with this approach since the early 1990's?

Perhaps they have enjoyed the wealth and quality of work since the reforms of Hawke and Keating, shifting labour away from centralised work forces and criminal unions..................the same criminal unions that are the fabric Labor is made

A better question is, why does the ALP persist with being a lukewarm neoliberal alternative to the LNP despite having limited success at the polls with this approach since the early 1990's?
A few reasons.

1. They like money. Corporations have money. And corporations will only give them money if they're willing to do the corporations' bidding. Hence there's little serious push by the Labor Party to regulate corporations better and deal with corporate tax avoidance. And perhaps they're scared of what happened to the popularity ratings of Rudd and Gillard when they dared to try and tax fat cats at an appropriate rate.

2. The rank and file, at least, treat Paul Keating like a saint and think everything he did was correct just because he trolled a few people in parliament. Keating was the one who really turned Labor into a neoliberal party, he and Hawke won a lot of elections, and his sideline cheering since leaving politics has been pretty neoliberal too. I don't know how much the parliamentary representatives worship Keating, but in any case, they're following the neoliberal trail that he blazed within the Labor Party.

3. Moving further left probably won't win them office. Labor has to take back suburbs and regional cities if they want to win power, and they're too cowardly to go through the hard slog of convincing these areas that transitioning to renewable energy and implementing progressive social policy are good things. They'd rather play into the pre-existing beliefs of people in these areas, which means not being all that different to the Libs. Or just outright say different things in different areas, like they did on coal mines last election.

It's also worth noting that Rudd made a lot of effort to claim he was an economic conservative in 2007 and won, whereas Shorten wanted to stop tax rorts (not just franking credit refunds but new negative gearing also) and lost. What lesson are the party going to draw from that?

4. The Greens occupy the ground Labor held prior to the early 90s. It suits Labor's political fortunes to have the Greens be the lightning rod for most criticism people have of progressive politics while still directing 82% of their preferences to Labor. There's little advantage to eating into the Greens' primary vote when the Liberals' is three times larger.

Labor is pro big business as they need the centralisation of power for unions to prey on the weak. They sell fear which actually resonates with 90% of the population, thus we see it used by church, unions and politics.

Liberals are pro individuals and small business. They sell aspiration but dip down to the loser elements of society with fear.

Unions killed our big businesses and left individuals to survive on their own two feet. The individuals have not only survived but thrived and as such ditched unions. The only unions that have stayed strong are the criminal elements where they continue to thrive, undermining society.

So when people are faced with a s**t choice between libs and labs, they simply look at what and who delivered us from a union dominated criminal past where hope was limited to keeping your s**t job for a miserable 20 years.

Remeber whe
Labor is pro big business as they need the centralisation of power for unions to prey on the weak. They sell fear which actually resonates with 90% of the population, thus we see it used by church, unions and politics.

Liberals are pro individuals and small business. They sell aspiration but dip down to the loser elements of society with fear.

Unions killed our big businesses and left individuals to survive on their own two feet. The individuals have not only survived but thrived and as such ditched unions. The only unions that have stayed strong are the criminal elements where they continue to thrive, undermining society.

So when people are faced with a sh*t choice between libs and labs, they simply look at what and who delivered us from a union dominated criminal past where hope was limited to keeping your sh*t job for a miserable 20 years.
Remember when children used to work in coalmines, and wages were so low that by the time you bought enough food to eat from the only store in town, owned by the same company that owned the mine you had nothing left so your only option was to keep working in the mine?
And if you tried to organise any kind of unionised workforce to negotiate for better pay and safer conditions the mine owner simply called the local pollies who sent in the army or police who would beat people, literally to death until they went back to work?
Capitalism is privatised feudalism without some organised protection.
Balance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the most cringeworthy articles I've ever read

**** off all the culinary s**t for starters and start again, should be chucked into the good food guide under the acquired tastes section

So when people are faced with a sh*t choice between libs and labs, they simply look at what and who delivered us from a union dominated criminal past where hope was limited to keeping your sh*t job for a miserable 20 years.
I can't even fathom how ignorant you'd have to be of history to form this opinion.

I think it comes down to people falling for the false narrative that the Coalition are better economic managers. They also they tend to align more closely to the right when it comes to culture wars, which is important to some, but to me is a side show played out amongst RWNJs and LWNJs alike.

Last edited:
Remeber whe

Remember when children used to work in coalmines, and wages were so low that by the time you bought enough food to eat from the only store in town, owned by the same company that owned the mine you had nothing left so your only option was to keep working in the mine?
And if you tried to organise any kind of unionised workforce to negotiate for better pay and safer conditions the mine owner simply called the local pollies who sent in the army or police who would beat people, literally to death until they went back to work?
Capitalism is privatised feudalism without some organised protection.
Balance.

I actually agree with you and believe the unions we have today are a direct result of the bosses we had a generation ago.

So we deserved s**t unions when we had s**t bosses. We’ve now outgrown both but this risks going forward are clear as our economy weakens.

I'm interested in knowing why PAYEE workers and employees generally vote Liberal when it is antithetical to their best interests.

I understand why those born with a silver spoon in every orifice who live a privileged existence like Millie want to protect their privileged lifestyle and let the workers "eat cake". However for the workers, under the Liberal stewardship:

1. Wages have stagnated. Every occasion there is a wage case put to the Liberal stacked Fair Work Commission the Liberals fight tooth and nail to oppose it.

2. The Liberals have casualised the workforce thereby robbing workers of job security and bargaining power and is a major factor in underemployment.

3. Whenever there are tax cuts it's the top end who are by far the major beneficiaries.

4. Executive pay has exploded as have payouts to failed executives.

5. The Liberals have sat on their hands while the big end of town has rorted the system. No better example than the banks.

6. Underpayment of workers is rife.

7. The Liberals wet dream is to Americanise the workforce where workers have to have little security, the pay is so poor workers need to work 2 and 3 jobs to keep a roof over their heads and in industries like hospitality and tourism rely on tips to survive.

8. Shown they have no genuine regard for women

9. Left us with a record deficit.

10. Want to privatise every government asset they can get a return on and do it stealthily - most recently Australia Post.

11. Waste millions of taxpayer funds on consultant mates.

12. "Dob Seeker" is an attack on the least among us.
Why do we even let poor people vote if they are just going to vote the wrong way?

I think it comes down to people falling for the false narrative that the Coalition are better economic managers. They also they tend to align more closely to the right when it comes to culture wars, which is important to some, but to me is a side show played out amongst RWNJs and LWNJs alike.

Some.posters who are knees deep lwnj's in this thread are an example of why voters are turning away from their traditional political routes of the left and have moved far away from them, to the right.

A bit of irony.

Some.posters who are knees deep lwnj's in this thread are an example of why voters are turning away from their traditional political routes of the left and have moved far away from them, to the right.

A bit of irony.
What has that got to do with the post you quoted? What part of if did you think was an example of a 'knees deep lwnj'?

Anyone on the dole who votes for these campaigners deserves every but of misery headed their way.

:)
I don't think anyone on the dole votes liberal. (And this is coming from a liberal voter who believes that welfare should be increased).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back