Why do workers vote Liberal?

Remove this Banner Ad

The same Govt (under different leadership) had a majority just before that. I'd suggest the Gillard (minority) years were better than the Rudd (majority) years.
I think that’s more easily ascribed to the change in direction from the leadership than the move from majority to minority

We already know tax cuts favour the plutocrats so this shouldn't be surprising.

But the analysis discovered one major change: The incomes of the rich grew much faster in countries where tax rates were lowered. Instead of trickling down to the middle class, tax cuts for the rich may not accomplish much more than help the rich keep more of their riches and exacerbate income inequality, the research indicates.

You can blame the media, you can blame the voters - but the reality is, when people feel like they're financially squeezed they don't have the luxury of thinking long term.

If I'm earning $80K a year, have two young kids, and haven't had a proper pay rise in 10 years - I am going to look at both parties' election platforms and see who is going to put more money in my pocket as soon as possible. Last election, the Coalition offered those voters double the tax cut that the opposition did. Why on earth would they vote ALP?

If you want voters to think longer term, you first need to improve their immediate situation so that they feel like they have that luxury.

Currently the Coalition knows they can do pretty much whatever they want as long as they throw a few pennies at the lower end of the spectrum, because the ALP are neglecting them even worse
No it's cause Mhuurrrochh derp derp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yJDujIA.jpg

This goes to the heart of what Labor should be about. In addition to reminding peeps about the casualisation of the workforce leading to job insecurity; the corporate underpaying billions while the Liberals sit and watch; the loss of penalty rates; the Liberals always fighting pay rises in the FWC; the plutocracy always benefitting the most for tax cuts; continual attacks and undermining of the union movement while protecting big business..........

Suppose you want to get elected you look around to find a voter base. The largest one is always the poor, more poor people than rich people.

Vote for me and I'll make your life better. So I claim I will legislate policies to make the poor better off. If I introduced laws that turn the poor into the middle class then I've lost my voter base because middle class voters have different needs and desires. So to offset that I also pass legislation to hamper the poor. (i.e. the government gives and takes away.) While I've only tinkered around the edges I'll keep getting elected and reap the benefits of a sitting longterm politician.

yJDujIA.jpg

This goes to the heart of what Labor should be about. In addition to reminding peeps about the casualisation of the workforce leading to job insecurity; the corporate underpaying billions while the Liberals sit and watch; the loss of penalty rates; the Liberals always fighting pay rises in the FWC; the plutocracy always benefitting the most for tax cuts; continual attacks and undermining of the union movement while protecting big business..........

Well something needs to balance the unrealistic expectations of unions. Australia is bordering on pricing itself out of the the world labour market.

How many more industries will close and move overseas?

The elephant in the room (country) is too many Australians are chasing a standard of living that I dont think is sustainable.

Stripped of legalese, the High Court is claiming that the employment contract alone determines the nature of employment and not what happens on the ground. If your contract says you are casual, you are casual, no matter whether, in reality, you work regular, predictable hours, on a full-time basis.

And if you don't sign the contract you don't get the job. Back to Master-Servant times.

Combined with all the other rights stripped away from workers by the plutocrats, yet the rightist so-called "battlers" still fall for the lie. Con artistry par excellence? Or is it that so many are witless.

mfi3ieo.jpg

And if you don't sign the contract you don't get the job. Back to Master-Servant times.

Combined with all the other rights stripped away from workers by the plutocrats, yet the rightist so-called "battlers" still fall for the lie. Con artistry par excellence? Or is it that so many are witless.

mfi3ieo.jpg

WHY did you miss the error by the TWU:

WHY did you miss the error by the TWU:
Because it's a diversion from the much wider and much more significant issue. You persistently attempt to derail/pollute threads with these diversions which is why so many of us ignore you.

Last edited:
I was just watching bombshell and a quote was quite amusing

‘liberals want to live in an ideal future world they are too lazy to create’

I don’t think they meant the LNP but they are a little lazy. I think they meant progressives

Well something needs to balance the unrealistic expectations of unions. Australia is bordering on pricing itself out of the the world labour market.

The elephant in the room (country) is too many Australians are chasing a standard of living that I dont think is sustainable.

ridiculous cost of housing in a country with no apparent lack of space. But go ahead, blame unions

Suppose you want to get elected you look around to find a voter base. The largest one is always the poor, more poor people than rich people.

Vote for me and I'll make your life better. So I claim I will legislate policies to make the poor better off. If I introduced laws that turn the poor into the middle class then I've lost my voter base because middle class voters have different needs and desires. So to offset that I also pass legislation to hamper the poor. (i.e. the government gives and takes away.) While I've only tinkered around the edges I'll keep getting elected and reap the benefits of a sitting longterm politician.

make the top people financially hugely better off, give the middle class an aspirational lie and the other 30-40% won’t trouble you one bit

Thatcherism 101

The Australian workforce is 14% unionised. How TF does that & the flat wage growth equate to Unions causing any problem on the Australian economy? Since the slow demise of a Unionised workforce we've seen home ownership shrink & the growing casualisation of the workforce.

Meanwhile the billionaire class has become richer. Does that make us better off??????

Companies that left were chasing the virtual slave labour in other parts of the world. No one can live of Chinese or Indian wages in this country.

Your view is the jaundiced view from the Conservative side of politics, pining for glorious Dickensian days of yore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back