Why do workers vote Liberal?

Remove this Banner Ad

that would be the reason. vote in labor and they'd have no job and no food on the table.:rolleyes:

the seat has been coalition for more than 100 years. labor was never going to win it. labor's loss of support had a lot to do with poor leadership, local political issues and move to independents - the latter affecting the nats as well.

the broader picture is the libs have been able to sell the fable they are for workers and they are better economic managers. now we have a record debt and workers are being royally screwed on all fronts maybe the they'll wake-up to the fact the liberals hate 'em.

The L in ALP is no longer enough for aspirational workers, e.g the fifo workers across the country, many on great money with great sacrifice from the family.

If you look at the primary vote in the Upper Hunter for both sides of politics, its down, down .... the traditional voting lines are disappearing across the board as people reject what is on offer from both sides.

The L in ALP is no longer enough for aspirational workers, e.g the fifo workers across the country, many on great money with great sacrifice from the family.

If you look at the primary vote in the Upper Hunter for both sides of politics, its down, down .... the traditional voting lines are disappearing across the board as people reject what is on offer from both sides.

A FIFO miner isn't blue collar - they earn twice as much as I do

Mining workers are not struggling.

This is where the left's messaging gets lost because Miners and other blue collar workers are no longer low paid.

Debt isn't a problem except the Liberals look like hypocrites.
comparing people, many of whom are on full-time contracts where they have negotiating powers with workers forced into casualisation and who have no negotiating powers is false equivalence m8.

comparing people, many of whom are on full-time contracts where they have negotiating powers with workers forced into casualisation and who have no negotiating powers is false equivalence m8.

This is a great example of how 'the workers' as a group have fractured, & can not be relied on as a voting bloc.
The Libs/Nats face their own problems in the same way, as seen with the election of Zali Steggall & before that Dr Phelps.

Climate change/ keeping the lights on/ jobs is nibbling away at both major groupings & its as plain as the nose on our face.

The problem is most people don't see those issues as directly effecting them.

The other thing is the policy responses sometimes miss the mark, we see that with wage growth because while everyone wants higher wage but the problem is explaining how to make that happen.
Sad though isn't it, that so many people are being obviously royally done-over and in the process adversely affecting their very existence yet they plough on regardless. I agree Labor needs to improve its messaging. They appear to be working on exposing the anti-worker Liberal bias which might be biting as His Mendaciousness has been promoting the Liberals as the friend of the worker. The friend who casualised the workforce, got rid of penalty rates, argues against pay rises every time, stands by while the big end of town rips off workers, has done SFA about underpayment et al. Who needs enemies with "friends" like that.

Let me do some quotes of what a Labor or greens person said in a conservation.

We should all work from home

My response what happens to restraunts and food courts in the cbd?

Their scummy response: what happened to steam trains, draft horses and fruit markets?

So pro worker my arsehole. Don't act pro workers when you pick and choose. And don't get mad when we do it even though we are mor pro Labor then you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their scummy response: what happened to steam trains, draft horses and fruit markets?

So pro worker my arsehole. Don't act pro workers when you pick and choose. And don't get mad when we do it even though we are mor pro Labor then you
Wow! An anecdotal comment from one person who you claim is a leftie. Well, that settles it.

The information is out there for all to see. It was the Liberals who stopped penalty rates. It was the Liberals who casualised the workforce. It was the Liberals who do SFA about underemployment exacerbated by them. It's the Liberals who always fight wage rises. It's the Liberals who cut social services and who attack the poor - Robodebt. It's the Liberals whose tax policies always benefit the well-to-do the most. It's under the Liberals where underpayment has flourished and who have done SFA to stop it.

Yet another case of massive underpayment of workers.

Neoliberalism is anti-worker, anti-union and 100% pro plutocracy. That is the Liberal Party today.

More than just a set of free-market policies, neoliberalism has always sought to alter society's balance of power in favor of bosses. Its assault on democracy and undermining of unions is now playing straight into the hands of the far-right.

Aldo Madariaga is an assistant professor of political science at the Universidad Diego Portales, Santiago de Chile, and associate researcher of the Center for Social Conflict and Cohesion Studies. He is the author of Neoliberal Resilience.

Mmmmhmmm
582AE2BF-213A-4519-BEBD-82DBA1369236.jpeg

I've given many examples of where the Liberals have screwed the workers, so provide me with examples where Labor hasn't fought for workers' pay and conditions?
The Shoppies. Career Union Officials ran the Union into the ground, making deals with Woolies, Coles, Fast food giants which were awful for their members and all the while imposed their conservative religious nuttery within the ALP.

How do you explain the union (any union) but particularly the union of hair-dressers, retail and fast-food employees as being the reason the ALP opposed gay marriage for so long?

The fact this wasn't called out by the ALP shows that they're infested with careerists right up to the top.

Head of a Union is a cushy position on the left is the equivalent of a job with the IPA, Newscorp or Business Council/Chamber of Commerce are for the conservatives.

The Shoppies. Career Union Officials ran the Union into the ground, making deals with Woolies, Coles, Fast food giants which were awful for their members and all the while imposed their conservative religious nuttery within the ALP.

How do you explain the union (any union) but particularly the union of hair-dressers, retail and fast-food employees as being the reason the ALP opposed gay marriage for so long?
Agreed, the most odious example being Joe Bullock, who aside from being a raging homophobe, also once intentionally turned his back on a Welcome to Country ceremony. I'll give WA Labor some credit for eventually ditching him and naming Pat Dodson as his replacement.

The fact this wasn't called out by the ALP shows that they're infested with careerists right up to the top.

Head of a Union is a cushy position on the left is the equivalent of a job with the IPA, Newscorp or Business Council/Chamber of Commerce are for the conservatives.

I know a few unions who simply agreed to shitty deals because they were terrified of losing all access to that company if they resisted. It was all about trying to protect their market share

I know a few unions who simply agreed to shitty deals because they were terrified of losing all access to that company if they resisted. It was all about trying to protect their market share

Wow, so rather than fight an convince workers to join, they do a deal with the devil to get nothing for workers but plenty for the Union. That's everything wrong with the system. (I know this is what iss happening, but how ridiculous that they're still doing it).

The whole Shoppies leadership were ancient homophobes. Joe de Bruyn is the specific person who's personal control of the Shoppies basically makes it a tool for his own socially conservative (Catholic) anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage agenda with a few token acts of Union work, but basically just made a deal with big business to keep himself in relative power in the ALP as part of the National Executive.

Refused to poll his members about his opposition to same sex marriage, because he just "believed" they agreed with him.

Eric Abetz says "Joe de Bruyn is a role model of trade union officialdom," which I think tells you all you need to know.

Lowest pond scum of the lowest pond scum and the reason the ALP is so hamstrung on social issues which it should have waltzed through.

It's people like him which make the LNP look almost palatable.

Never had any time for de Bruyn. Or some of his predecessors. The Union movement is not perfect but if you are suggesting their track record of improving worker's wages and conditions over decades isn't impressive then your knowledge of the movement is wanting. And to mention them in the same breath as the dregs of humanity, the IPA, is sickening.

With all its weaknesses there is only one party that places the interests of workers foremost and it ain't the party of plutocracy.

You want the bad news! Last year was a look into the future because technology is making the idea of a CBD office less needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back