Why do you go to the gym?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’ve always had abs, but am an ecto/meso body type. My wife (and he friends) have all commented on how much bigger I’ve gotten in the last 12-18 months (up to 92kgs with little body fat increase).

I’ve generally been the fit guy in my group of mates but the size I’ve packed on has been noticed and impressed.

I hate people who scoff at the gym and say "why dont you just walk/run TO the gym and back for free" So ******* dumb.

Usually from people who have no exercise regime!
I usually respond with "because i like to park my car right outside the entrance"

Abs require more work, you need to tighten your diet as well, which is much harder then exercising for most people. You can have reasonable arms whilst still carrying some extra weight, abs you can't. And many guys like working arms as they are visible more of the time. You can't walk around with your abs showing most of the time.

I'm 45 and most of the early morning workout guys at my gym are 30-60. There's plenty with reasonable biceps, but those with abs (not that I'm particularly looking in the change rooms, but over 6 years at my gym you can't avoid seeing other blokes. Thankfully it's only when around 70 they for some reason feel it's fine to walk around with nothing on for an extended time :eek: ) are few and far between.

FWIW from various on line articles / survey's of what's women's favourite men's body parts are (usual disclaimer everyone has their own preference), its:
1. Abs
2. Glutes
3. Biceps

Glutes sit somewhere in between for how hard to get a reasonable shape. From my own experience I've never noticed anyone checking my arms out or having commented to my wife on them, that she's passed on. I don't go out in public (outside the beach) with my abs showing (they sit a bit better than the visible shot above, but no where near the bottom ripped photo), so no comments there. By genetics I had a flat butt (like a straight line from shoulders to feet) until I did a bulging disc in my back and started working my glutes a lot to stop my lower back t aking over. Since then they gained shape and I've had her pass on to me that two of her friends have commented on my behind since then :D

I think you speak the truth mate! especially the bolded bit.
As for the bit in red, assuming they are female, hit em up for a night sesh?

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Usually from people who have no exercise regime!
I usually respond with "because i like to park my car right outside the entrance"

I think you speak the truth mate! especially the bolded bit.
As for the bit in red, assuming they are female, hit em up for a night sesh?
They are Female and I like being married, so can't do that :p

Last edited:

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
Since putting mirrors opposite each other in my dressing room i see everything. Plus i went through a bad stage of eating lots of aldi icecream and uber eats.

I kept thinking i was accidently washing my clothes on the hot cycle and they were all shrinking. I kept ignoring all the signs telling me i had put on fat, like an ostrich putting its head in the sand.

Anyway it is now about the journey back to fitness and feeling good :)

Am getting enjoyment out of the gym for the first time in my life. I love weight training and have already asked to be reassessed because my routine is too easy.

Since putting mirrors opposite each other in my dressing room i see everything. Plus i went through a bad stage of eating lots of aldi icecream and uber eats.

I kept thinking i was accidently washing my clothes on the hot cycle and they were all shrinking. I kept ignoring all the signs telling me i had put on fat, like an ostrich putting its head in the sand.

Anyway it is now about the journey back to fitness and feeling good :)

Am getting enjoyment out of the gym for the first time in my life. I love weight training and have already asked to be reassessed because my routine is too easy.
How good are Aldi ice creams though?!

Briiliant. Indulge is better than conissuer and sara what ever her name is and it is half the price.
They sell a cookies and cream American brownie style ice cream. I can’t buy it anymore as I’ll eat all 4 in one sitting without a drama.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
1. Habit
2. Stress relief (stress at an all time high)
3. Health and fitness
4. Vanity (less so these days but still vanity)
5. Escape the home
6. I want to be 60 and have a body of a 35 year old - easy to do if I keep training 3-4 times a week and eat well with hardly drinking, not smoking and keeping my body fat to low to moderate levels. Also easy to do given the general state of most 35 year old males.
7. I want to be 70 and look like I am 50
8. I want to be 80 and look like I am 60
9. I want to be 90 and dead

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’ve always had abs, but am an ecto/meso body type. My wife (and he friends) have all commented on how much bigger I’ve gotten in the last 12-18 months (up to 92kgs with little body fat increase).

I’ve generally been the fit guy in my group of mates but the size I’ve packed on has been noticed and impressed.
It’s great when people notice you’ve bulked up

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
For me it’s like my downtime even though I work really hard at the gym each time I’m there. I go about 3-4 times a week, early in the morning before work and train for roughly an hour. Nothing better than working out, listening to music and over time seeing results, however I also do it to improve my football, I’m not the quickest bloke, and the grounds are small so I need to be able to take hits.

When I first started going to the gym my only goal was to just get big, weighed probably 69-70kgs, and currently I’m at 77kgs, been a slow burn to gain the muscle, and to keep it with a good diet as I’m very active (Carpenter for work + footy training and regular mountain bike riding).

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Exerting myself at the gym is a good way to lower stress and anxiety I find.

Working in a male dominated industry it's also a bonus to exercise the optic nerve.

Chloe 28

Rookie
Jan 6, 2019
UK.
AFL Club
Fremantle
I meet up with my friends at the gym every sunday afternoon to burn off our weekend indulges! We spend a few hours there working out, plus meeting other people there is nice and swapping advice.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I meet up with my friends at the gym every sunday afternoon to burn off our weekend indulges! We spend a few hours there working out, plus meeting other people there is nice and swapping advice.

I can guarantee your gym session wouldn't go close to burning off your weekend indulgences.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can guarantee your gym session wouldn't go close to burning off your weekend indulgences.
True, the only people who can get away with that are those taking lots of drugs or (for a short while) guys doing a dirty bulk. However given for most who use gym as 'an offset' they'd not cut back at all if they weren't going, they are at least partially offsetting the excesses. Plus they still get to gain strength, get stronger bones, a fitter heart and the other benefits of the gym, even if not in full.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Plus they still get to gain strength, get stronger bones, a fitter heart and the other benefits of the gym, even if not in full.

Nothing better than a big gym week after a bigger weekend. Lifting a little big heavier for longer breaks it up from weeks of constant deficits and barely lifting anything!

I now go to the gym because i enjoy the pump. The results have led me to go more and try harder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back