saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
True, the only people who can get away with that are those taking lots of drugs or (for a short while) guys doing a dirty bulk. However given for most who use gym as 'an offset' they'd not cut back at all if they weren't going, they are at least partially offsetting the excesses. Plus they still get to gain strength, get stronger bones, a fitter heart and the other benefits of the gym, even if not in full.

No one way gets away with eating to many calories if there goal is to lose weight, yes blokes taking drugs will burn more calories and can get away with more junk food. But the guys who are semi serious even when taking drugs will still eat good food.

If your goal is to lose weight you aren't off setting anything at the gym, it is far easier to not eat excess calories than it is to burn them off. If you want to eat in excess eat the majority of your food from healthy sources (ambiguous everyone has a different idea of healthy) but there is no point saying i'm going to the gym getting stronger and healthier because you ate KFC and cheesecake the night before.

I am far from perfect, i eat junk food but i don't kid myself either and i think can offset weekend indulgences in the gym on a sunday afternoon.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No one way gets away with eating to many calories if there goal is to lose weight, yes blokes taking drugs will burn more calories and can get away with more junk food. But the guys who are semi serious even when taking drugs will still eat good food.

If your goal is to lose weight you aren't off setting anything at the gym, it is far easier to not eat excess calories than it is to burn them off. If you want to eat in excess eat the majority of your food from healthy sources (ambiguous everyone has a different idea of healthy) but there is no point saying i'm going to the gym getting stronger and healthier because you ate KFC and cheesecake the night before.

I am far from perfect, i eat junk food but i don't kid myself either and i think can offset weekend indulgences in the gym on a sunday afternoon.
I'd agree with all that. My point was just since those 'burning it off' are highly unlikely to eat less if they weren't at the gym, then "Good diet and gym" > "s**t diet and Gym" > "s**t diet and no gym".

I can guarantee your gym session wouldn't go close to burning off your weekend indulgences.

I think end of the day, if chloe's reasoning to herself for gym work is to catch up with friends and burn off weekends indulgences, irrespective of whether it does that or not, is irrelevant.

CatFan79

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
Love the escape, the focus on each rep, driving myself to max out each set...

Also love being able to eat basically anything I want and still be ripped.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I currently have no direction, no plan, probably don't work out hard enough but it's difficult during footy season. The body is constantly sore from playing in the ruck. I go once a week and hit the main muscles I feel like working out. Hoping to get a little more serious about it all once footy is over.

Chloe 28

Rookie
Jan 6, 2019
UK.
AFL Club
Fremantle
True, the only people who can get away with that are those taking lots of drugs or (for a short while) guys doing a dirty bulk. However given for most who use gym as 'an offset' they'd not cut back at all if they weren't going, they are at least partially offsetting the excesses. Plus they still get to gain strength, get stronger bones, a fitter heart and the other benefits of the gym, even if not in full.
My weekend indulges only amount to wine and a meal. I've never taken drugs in my life. I'm tall and lean and would never indulge in anything that would tip me over the scales.

CatFan79

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
I guarantee it does! A few glasses of wine and a meal is easily burnt off!

A lot of people in the gym don't put in HALF the amount of intensity required to make any significant change...

Most under 30's are on their phone between sets... LOL get real.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
A lot of people in the gym don't put in HALF the amount of intensity required to make any significant change...

Most under 30's are on their phone between sets... LOL get real.

If they don’t spend longer than others in between sets it really doesn’t matter what they do...

I’m 32 and don’t look at my phone when I work out but this is just a weird thing to say.

CatFan79

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
If they don’t spend longer than others in between sets it really doesn’t matter what they do...

I’m 32 and don’t look at my phone when I work out but this is just a weird thing to say.

Never seen a serious lifter on their phone between sets...

Lose focus, lose intensity...

CazC30

Far from the madding crowd.
Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
To work off my belly after pregnancy...

And the muffin tops after devouring a shed load of naughty snacks to combat depression.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I guarantee it does! A few glasses of wine and a meal is easily burnt off!

3 glasses of mine ... about 350cal.
Average weekend “indulgence” meal we’ll call 650cal.
So 1000cal total.
This would require something like a 15km run.

Back