NFL Why do You Support the Team You Support?

Remove this Banner Ad

Beetlebum

Premiership Player
Jul 13, 2011
Formerly Row UU Block 113.
AFL Club
Fremantle
I went the other way, started following the Pats in 1990 then started following the Sox around 1999. All I remember of 2003 was Game 7 of the ALCS, a loss comparable to SB 42, well that and Bartman and the Cubs collapse. 2004 was a fairly epic sort of year.

Super Bowl 42 (2008) is the only Super Bowl I haven't watched live in the last 20 or so years. I was travelling from Perth to Sydney with a mate and the radio out there is pointless and my mate doesn't care a jot about the NFL, so I made a phone call to my ma from a pay phone in Eucla late in the arvo. It was an appropriate place to be when told that the seemingly inevitable 19-0 season had all gone to s**t. I watched the game when I got back home a week later and have refused to do so since. Beaten by the better team on the day, sounds bizarre to say but like they did 4 years later the Giants were the better team on Super Sunday.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
As Daggles said, a lot of people were not even born when Fergie took over so unless someone is 40+ at least, they would have never been old enough to see another manager.
I couldn't tell you who came AFTER Ferguson :D

Jumped on MU bandwagon maybe mid 70s. Might have been a success thing but that's how 90% of ''other'' sport supporters get on board. I became a Redskins fan when JR Riggins was playing. Liked the Raiders around the same time but went with Skins because a mate went Raiders and it was easier to stir

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know this isn't the right thread, or the right board, or the right forum either, but... I had spaghetti bolognese for dinner
As long as you were wearing your Lions jersey while eating that, then it's all okay....because this is an AFL forum, and everything must relate to the AFL somehow.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As long as you were wearing your Lions jersey while eating that, then it's all okay....because this is an AFL forum, and everything must relate to the AFL somehow.
No, but I know somewhere on the internet, that was the answer to someones questions, just not in this thread... but that doesn't matter apparently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you explain yours to me?

Why are there Colts fans in it? Are you turning into a Colts fan?
Yours is literally a picture of The Nuggests last real star who left.

Why do you hate the Nuggs?

Next avatar is a toss up between:

Dwyane Wade doing something (undecided)

Peyton Manning hoisting the Lombardi

John Elway in some very short shorts
D Wade if he goes to Nuggs would be good

Thinking I am due for a change

Maybe Atwater?

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You better believe it was lit

151041-NBA_Live_2005_(USA)-1.jpg

Hmmm, didn't see this thread a couple of years ago when it started... I've told this story a few times, but hey why not tell it again :)

As a kid I suffered from a rare kidney disease and was hospitalised many times (for stretches of up to 6 months at the Childrens Hospital in Melb), anyway my sister and I shared a room at home and for my home stays I was isolated in my own space and sharing a room with my sister was not allowed.

So mum and dad setup a corner of the lounge room as my home stay area, which for me was great, I had to stay in bed as often as possible so I had a small TV next to me. The beauty was that when my folks went off to bed I'd turn the TV on with the volume right down and would stay up late at night watching whatever was on, and in those days we had WWF on weekly with the likes of Hulk Hogan, Junk Yard Dog, Iron Shiek, Andre The Giant etc etc.

After the WWF was finished I remember changing the channel to Ch10 and came across a weekly hour long NFL highlights show. This was in 1985 and I distinctly remember seeing John Elway with the blond locks sticking out the back of his helmet, throwing the ball to Vance Johnson, or handing off to Sammy Winder. Thought to myself this kid's alright and kept watching. Tuned in again the week after and they're showing highlights of this Elway kid again, rinse and repeat over the next couple of weeks and I was a fan of Elways, and a fan of the game.

I fondly remember those early games watching the likes of Elway, Montana, Marino, Kelly, Moon, Harbaugh etc and being amazed at this game. I wanted to learn more about the game, I found some NFL games on the Commodore 64, one being this text based management game called "Headcoach" which was basic as, but I learnt about basic plays and positions and it gave me a better understanding of the chess game that it is gridiron. (Note: Headcoach was always blasted by games mags in the day for only having 1st and 2nd downs lol).

I used to race out to get the Tuesday morning copy of The Sun newspaper to see if they won, or stayed up until 2am to see if I could catch the sports report on NBC today news, then waited a week for the highlights shows to make their way down under, either on the old Ch10 highlights show or the later Don Lane presents NFL on the ABC.

I lived the highs of Elway and co in the season games, then suffered through the demoralising superbowl losses, but it all paid off eventually.

So, that's my story...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back