Sports Why Do You Support The Teams You Do?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL: Blues - a girl I liked in kindy went for Carlton.
Intern'al: India - I followed Australia for nearly the first twenty years of my life. Changed because I didn't like the Australian supporter culture at games. It's heavy on the drinking, swearing, and abusive language; something I don't want to be associated with.
IPL: SunRisers - I started supporting the Deccan Chargers from the start due to having Gilchrist, Laxman, Gibbs, and Symonds in their side. When the Chargers left, the Sunrisers replaced
BBL: Renegades - I was too pick between the Renegades and Stars, chose the Renegades for the underdog story after seeing the S1 squads.
Domestic: Bushrangers NRL: Storm Super Rugby: Rebels A-League: Victory - Melbourne born and raised.
UEFA / EPL: Red Devils - Beckham
Serie A: Milan - Ronaldinho
Bundesliga: Bayern - Ribery
La Liga: Barca - Real seemed like an dick of a club
NFL: Bears NBA: Bulls NHL: Blackhawks MLB: White Sox - I wanted to choose a city that had a team in all four sports, and the Bulls where doing well in the NBA playoffs that year.

AFL - family supported them when I was growing up.

WAFL - South Fremantle - When playing junior football, that was the league we played under at the time.

Chicago Bulls - Nothing to do with MJ...okay a little bit. After going through the whole broken leg/leg injury process, I understand what it takes....Derrick Rose has been through 2 or 3 (i forget) I admiration for anybody who comes back from that.

AFL- Mum Supported St Kilda, Nanna and Pa supported St Kilda and I think my Great Grandparents Supported St Kilda
Manchester united - 2002 was the first world cup i saw and i wanted to watch pl games so i picked the club with same colours as well as the fact that i knew beckham and Van Nistlerooy

Essendon: Was simply family indoctrination. Which makes me wonder if I was born in the bible belt, i'd probably be quite the nuffie.

Golden State: Well I only really started following the NBA 3-4 years ago when I got into 2K. In the my player career mode I got drafted to this nuffie no team and eventually ended up falling in love with them. I still managed to get regulated to the D league though lmao.

Watching NBA and Golden State has managed to get me through some pretty dark times with the Dons.

AFL: Blues - a girl I liked in kindy went for Carlton.
Intern'al: India - I followed Australia for nearly the first twenty years of my life. Changed because I didn't like the Australian supporter culture at games. It's heavy on the drinking, swearing, and abusive language; something I don't want to be associated with.
IPL: SunRisers - I started supporting the Deccan Chargers from the start due to having Gilchrist, Laxman, Gibbs, and Symonds in their side. When the Chargers left, the Sunrisers replaced
BBL: Renegades - I was too pick between the Renegades and Stars, chose the Renegades for the underdog story after seeing the S1 squads.
Domestic: Bushrangers NRL: Storm Super Rugby: Rebels A-League: Victory - Melbourne born and raised.
UEFA / EPL: Red Devils - Beckham
Serie A: Milan - Ronaldinho
Bundesliga: Bayern - Ribery
La Liga: Barca - Real seemed like an dick of a club
NFL: Bears NBA: Bulls NHL: Blackhawks MLB: White Sox - I wanted to choose a city that had a team in all four sports, and the Bulls where doing well in the NBA playoffs that year.

Are you Indian? If not, then thats just weird.

AFL: West Coast. Always have, always will. Since 1990. And because I'm West Australian, born and bred. No way i was going to jump on the Freo Dorkers bandwagon like so many turncoats.
Intern'al: Australia. Cos I'm Australian..
BBL: Perth Scorchers. Cos I'm Western Australian.
Domestic Cricket: Western Warriors.
WAFL: Swan Districts. Born and raised.
NRL: West Tigers. Decided to support them until Perth gets a team. A couple of mates go for them, and figured it would be a good excuse to head to the pub or have barbies and talk s**t while watching them play.
Soccer: Couldn't give even the slightest of shits about any team anywhere, although I know enough of the bandwagon culture, and the "rich get richer" wank of the big international leagues to despise Man U, Barcelona and Real Madrid.
Rugby Union: Dont really recognise this as a sport.
NFL: Arizona Cardinals. Won a cardinals hat watching the superbowl in a Vancouver pub in 2010.
Baseball: LA Dodgers. Went to Dodgers stadium when I was in LA.
NHL: Vancouver Canucks. Went and saw them play when I was over there. Just before the riots.
Basketball: LA Clippers. Cos my mate went for the Lakers and I wanted to piss him off. He has turncoated since then.
F1: Williams.
Tennis: My equal favourite sport to cricket. I like Novak. Seriously understated and under appreciated. Sick of the Roger Federer circle jerk. This guy is by far the best player in the world at the moment. I also like the playing styles of Andy Murray, Kei Nishikori and Feliciano Lopez.

Last edited:
AFL - Adelaide: Was only 5 when the Crows entered the AFL. Mum and Dad were both heavily into the Crows, and so was the rest of the state. As soon as Modra burst on the scene it was game over for all the other clubs. Stuck with them when a lot of other kids went the "cool" route in upper primary school and dumped them in favour of clubs like Hawthorn, Carlton and Essendon. I don't have an SANFL team, if any I'd probably pick either Sturt (my Dad's team and our recruiting zone), or Glenelg (Mum's team).

Cricket - West Indies/Sri Lanka: Can not stand the muppets in the Australian team, and hate the general Australian fan mentality (Most recent being: Broad is a campaigner for not walking, Hussey is Mr Cricket and a legend even though he never walked after hitting the cover off it either). As a result I just love seeing the Aussies get beaten. As a young kid I couldn't help but love the Windies, with Ambrose, Walsh, Lara, etc. As a teenager Sanath Jayasuriya took over as my favourite player so because I was so keen on him my allegiance kind of shifted to SL, because if he was doing well so were they. Nowadays I don't really follow it that closely, but still like to see WI or SL win, as well as whoever is playing Australia.

Domestic Cricket - Redbacks/Strikers: SA pride really.

All my American sports teams just came from video games, usually from linking the teams to other things I knew from pop culture when needing to pick a team.
NBA - LA Lakers: First NBA game I played was a PC game called Lakers V Celtics in the NBA Finals, you could choose 8 teams I think, but defaults were Lakers and Celtics obviously. Celtics are s**t so I picked the Lakers every time and they became my team.
NHL - Calgary Flames: Needed to pick a career team in NHL, one of my all time favourite wrestlers is Bret Hart who is from Calgary, and Calgary is huge in the wrestling world. Looked at their logo and colours and I was sold.
NFL - Baltimore Ravens: Used to always use Miami Dolphins in NFL games, thanks to their role in Ace Ventura. Then found out Stacy Keibler used to be a Baltimore Ravens cheerleader and switched since their colours are cooler. And the Ravens/Crows link was cool too (until Sando used their Superbowl win as an omen for our 2013).

Cricket - West Indies/Sri Lanka: Can not stand the muppets in the Australian team, and hate the general Australian fan mentality (Most recent being: Broad is a campaigner for not walking, Hussey is Mr Cricket and a legend even though he never walked after hitting the cover off it either). As a result I just love seeing the Aussies get beaten. As a young kid I couldn't help but love the Windies, with Ambrose, Walsh, Lara, etc. As a teenager Sanath Jayasuriya took over as my favourite player so because I was so keen on him my allegiance kind of shifted to SL, because if he was doing well so were they. Nowadays I don't really follow it that closely, but still like to see WI or SL win, as well as whoever is playing Australia.
This.
It's another example of how the supporters are idiots when it comes to supporting the team.

Only really follow AFL but I've been trying to get into more sports. Originally I enjoyed watching the Lions because I like their colours, mascot and their song, but they are out in Brisbane so I wouldn't get to see them play that much so I just picked Tigers instead because I like the animal, they are in Victoria and my family follows them.

Supported Freo as my dad's side are all vintage South Fremantle residents, originally the low-level laughing stock immigrants but still kicking in the overpriced faux-hippie/school teacher/dentist/hipster 'melting pot' it now is... My pop was a Bulldogs man and of course the rest of the lineage continued with that and then the Dockers when they came in. So I didn't have a choice. Born the very year they were established, too.

Arsenal – no idea. Got into soccer as a young kid, 2002 World Cup, the first and last World Cup where you didn't have to stay up or get up to catch it. I think my next door neighbour bought one of those old World Cup guide magazines. We used to have competitions and choose a country each, then end up going round-robin, running ourselves ragged until whatever one of our team's was left. I think I may have ended up repping France and so got on board with Henry, Pires, and Viera and all those total champions. Very proud of my choice – going to London, seeing Highbury and that general area, and realising how much of a classic English club they really are was something special and validating.

Carlton - Nobody in family follows AFL, I started watching and liked Kouta and Lappin so I jumped on Carlton.

Perth Glory - I'm a Perthite.

Phoenix Suns - Huge fan of Steve Nash. Loved him and Stoudemire as a duo for a while during the late 00's.

Everton - Jumped on them when Besic signed and now I'm right into it. Had only a casual interest in the EPL before then, if you had asked me who my team was I would have said Liverpool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn: didn't have a choice; the first item of clothing I ever wore was a Hawthorn beanie. As a 4 year old I liked Collingwood for some reason, but reverted after my parents threatened to disinherit me. As a kid I was used to going to the footy in an optimistic, hopeful mood, only to watch us get thrashed. 2001 was a good year, but we still lost to a winless Fremantle at Docklands and were mauled by Essendon in Round 9. These days I just sit back in disbelief. Truly grateful for Dunstall/Dicker's vision back in 2004.

Arsenal: Watched the Gunners on TV as an 8 year old when on holiday in Europe. Stopped over in Thailand on the way home, went shopping and Dad bought me a fake Henry #14 shirt. The rest is history, I bloody love the club.

NRL: Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs Grew up in NSW a North Sydney Bears supporter. Supported them til 2000 when they merged with Manly then Manly went on their own leaving North Sydney without a side. I couldn't support the evil regime that is Manly so when North Sydney merged with them I stopped following the NRL for a few years I was so angry at the sport. A few years later I started taking a bit of interest in it again. Canterbury were my second side growing up. They were the family club in the 80s with the Mortimer and Hughes brothers and won back to back premierships in the 80s in 1984 and 1985, the same years as Essendon won back to back flags so I settled on them as my team.

AFL: Essendon Bombers I started following the VFL, mainly through the influence of my uncle who lived in Melbourne and was a mad Collingwood supporter. When my family visited him in Melbourne in 1984 he took me to a VFL game between Collingwood and Essendon I think hoping to turn me into a Collingwood supporter. However when I saw the other team were red and black, the same as North Sydney, I started barracking for them, much to my uncle's chagrin. They won the flag the next two years and I was hooked.

NFL: Cincinnati Bengals The first NFL game I watched was Superbowl XVI between Cincinnati and the San Francisco 49ers. Cincinnati seemed to be the underdogs so being someone who barracks for the underdog I barracked for them. They lost both Superbowl XVI and Superbowl XXIII to the 49ers so they are my most despised team in the NFL. I have been over to Cincinnati and to a Bengals game several times over the years.

EPL: Chelsea Most people think I'm a bandwagoner when I say I support Chelsea, and to be honest I don't really follow it closely enough to call myself a true supporter as soccer really doesn't excite me that much. However my mum grew up in Earl's Court in the Chelsea district in London so supporting Chelsea is in my family and I've supported them all my life.

Collingwood - Family thing, had a great uncle that played a few games during the 1920s dynasty.

Indiana Pacers - Loved Reggie Miller and the hard-nosed way they played (Davis brothers, McKey, Jackson etc.). Loved the whole underdog thing. Everyone was going for the Bulls at the time, but I loved the Pacers and still do.

Monta Ellis and Paul George will be exciting! goodluck to the Pacers for this year :)

AFL: West Coast. Always have, always will. Since 1990. And because I'm West Australian, born and bred. No way i was going to jump on the Freo Dorkers bandwagon like so many turncoats.
Intern'al: Australia. Cos I'm Australian..
BBL: Perth Scorchers. Cos I'm Western Australian.
Domestic Cricket: Western Warriors.
WAFL: Swan Districts. Born and raised.
NRL: West Tigers. Decided to support them until Perth gets a team. A couple of mates go for them, and figured it would be a good excuse to head to the pub or have barbies and talk s**t while watching them play.
Soccer: Couldn't give even the slightest of shits about any team anywhere, although I know enough of the bandwagon culture, and the "rich get richer" wank of the big international leagues to despise Man U, Barcelona and Real Madrid.
Rugby Union: Dont really recognise this as a sport.
NFL: Arizona Cardinals. Won a cardinals hat watching the superbowl in a Vancouver pub in 2010.
Baseball: LA Dodgers. Went to Dodgers stadium when I was in LA.
NHL: Vancouver Canucks. Went and saw them play when I was over there. Just before the riots.
Basketball: LA Clippers. Cos my mate went for the Lakers and I wanted to piss him off. He has turncoated since then.
F1: Williams.
Tennis: My equal favourite sport to cricket. I like Novak. Seriously understated and under appreciated. Sick of the Roger Federer circle jerk. This guy is by far the best player in the world at the moment. I also like the playing styles of Andy Murray, Kei Nishikori and Feliciano Lopez.

Wut?

Rugby union is probably the second most played team sport around the world after soccer, it's definitely a better sport than rugby league whose World Cup is a joke compared to the rugby union World Cup.

Wut?

Rugby union is probably the second most played team sport around the world after soccer, it's definitely a better sport than rugby league whose World Cup is a joke compared to the rugby union World Cup.

Yeah fair enough was being way too harsh on Union. I just have never taken to it. Tried to watch it, but cant get into it.

Yeah fair enough was being way too harsh on Union. I just have never taken to it. Tried to watch it, but cant get into it.
I love rugger, but to the uninitiated, anything that New Zealand can be world champions in has to be questionable.

My parents are from NZ so I was brought up with it, I enjoy playing it more than watching it though, would rather watch AFL.

Footy West Coast: I've been an AFL follower since around 05/06, although i started supporting the Eagles in 2009, prior to that i actually sort of hated them. I'm not from WA (born and bred Victorian) so i support them since i like the club identity and players

Club Soccer Valencia: The La Liga is my favorite major European league, and for some reason ive always liked them the most

International Soccer: Croatia (Croatian family), Socceroos (obviously) and Argentina/Uruguay (like the countries and their players)

Australian Soccer Victory: Cos i'm from Melbourne

Rugby League Storm: Cos i'm from Melbourne

NFL Philadelphia: Since the Eagle is my favorite animal. Philadelphia is also in general a really likable city

Remove this Banner Ad

Back