Moved Thread Why does Eddie decide what Jumper Port Adelaide can or can't wear?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Watched 360 last night and David Koch was on their talking about the prison bar jumper to be worn this weekend and Eddie clearly stated this will be the last time ever that port can wear this jumper!

I would like to know what on earth would it have to do with Eddie Mcguire what jumper a club can or can't wear on certain occasions.

Port conceded years ago they would never wear this jumper on a permanent basis, but why on earth if they want to wear it once a year for a certain round should they even need to ask Collingwood or Eddie Mcguire.

Just submit to the AFL who run the game and it is their decision, nothing what so ever to do with Collingwood.

For Eddie to just say this will never happen again is arrogant to say the least and for someone who always comes across as a traditional person it really is pathetic.

Because it was part of Port Adelaide's acceptance into the AFL.

That they would seek the approval of the Collingwood president at the time before wearing the prison bars once in a blue moon? Is there a Collingwood supporter on here who has a problem with Port Adelaide pulling on the prison bars once a year, provided it is not against Collingwood?

I mean, you wouldn't want to see a game where Port is wearing the prison bars against Collingwood, but does anyone see the prison bar design and immediately think 'Collingwood'? I certainly don't. As long as it's not done multiple times a year, Port Adelaide should be able to wear the prison bars. And they should go directly to the AFL for approval. And Eddie can go and root his boot.

it's disgraceful, I can certainly understand the club's reluctance to have to find an alternate strip to accommodate Port wearing it against us, but if they want to wear for the other 20/21 times a year what right do we have to deny it

it's not like it's the exact same jumper, it's a different design using the same colours. not like that doesn't exist in the comp already

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's disgraceful, I can certainly understand the club's reluctance to have to find an alternate strip to accommodate Port wearing it against us, but if they want to wear for the other 20/21 times a year what right do we have to deny it

it's not like it's the exact same jumper, it's a different design using the same colours. not like that doesn't exist in the comp already

Well said mate!!! :thumbsu:

Port should be allowed to use the prison bars, except away to Collingwood, if that is their wish. At home against Collingwood it is their home game, so their choice of jumper.

There might be an issue away to a few other teams where the back could clash as well I guess. Clubs with a lot of black or a very dark colour on the back could be considered a clash. eg St Kilda, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton.

I'll buy you a Port Adelaide membership when Eddie cancels your Collingwood one for treason.

It seems very petty and small minded for Eddie to deny Port the right to wear their most recognized and traditional colors in the AFL, especially if the game doesn't involve Collingwood.

Fair enough, they can't be called the Magpies, but the designs are hardly similar, and the Collingwood brand is in no way diluted by Port Adelaide wearing the same colors, I mean, Geelong and Carlton have the same colors and nobody confuses them.

Although, I happened to be on the way to a Port Melbourne game the same day the Storm played Newcastle in Melbourne and I wondered why I was getting the evil eye from the Storm people on the way to the game - I realized why after a bit! :p

eddie is all about eddie & collingwood

examples;

collingwood "allow" port adelaide to wear the jumper

example 2;

last night he spoke abt sheedy returning to essendon and added ' he is a big supporter of anzac day"... wtf that had nothing to do with who coaches essendon next year

example 3;

geelong v swans last saturday - chapman gets a cheer, then makes a reference to didak's return the night before

fat face is one eyed bias bore who's football commentary should be restricted to the collingwood website

That they would seek the approval of the Collingwood president at the time before wearing the prison bars once in a blue moon?

If St Kilda wanted to drop their white and only wear black and red, I'm sure you'd hear Essendon making a stand about it.

If Melbourne or Geelong wanted to drop their other colour, I'm sure Carlton would stand up and say "hey, we are the Navy Blues".

It's only Port Adelaide that try it.

Because we were in the league first.
So what? You don't own the league. If for some reason Frankston was coming into the AFL, do you think St Kilda would have the gumption to tell them not to wear red, black and white?

As Hird & co have recently found out, no club is bigger than the league. Even Collingwood.

Port should be allowed to use the prison bars, except away to Collingwood, if that is their wish. At home against Collingwood it is their home game, so their choice of jumper.
nah, i'm willing to concede this point to Ed - it's too similar a design to the Pies black & white stripes that were already in the comp in 1996; there should be no onus on the Pies to introduce a new jumper to accommodate the prison bars

Remove this Banner Ad

Back