Society/Culture Why does inequality matter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
A topic that many on the left like to talk about is rising inequality across Australia and the most of the western world. It is true that the gap between the rich and the rest of society is growing but why is that a problem?

Trying to make life better for middle and working-class people is a good thing, but why care about the gap between them and the rich?

Peoples qualities of life continue to rise because we are constantly developing new commodities both essential and non-essential that makes our life better. A working-class person in 2018 has life better than a rich person did back in 1918.

Let me clear up one big myth that rich people take from everyone else, wealth is accumulated by performing a large number of voluntary transactions on the free market. Rich people do not steal other people’s money.

My opinion is that all complaints about inequality simple relate to jealousy, so lets focus on making life better for everyone rather than being jealous because someone else has more money.

Stop playing identity politics.

In this case class warfare.

Serious, can you show me how I am playing identity politics?

I am simply saying we should not worry about the gap between the rich and the poor and just focus on making life better for everyone.

By the way identity politics means that instead of judging an individual based on merit you judge them based on an identity such as race, gender, religion ,skin colour or sexuality.

Troll creates thread saying something stupid. People bite. Troll says something even more stupid. People bite. Troll makes another troll thread. People bite.

Yawn...

You know most of what I say is actually something that either a right wing politician or journalist has said. Its just to people with a left leaning ideology that my suggestions come across as crazy.

I made it clear in my OP that trying to make life better for the poor and middle class is a good thing.

Serious, can you show me how I am playing identity politics?

I am simply saying we should not worry about the gap between the rich and the poor and just focus on making life better for everyone.

By the way identity politics means that instead of judging an individual based on merit you judge them based on an identity such as race, gender, religion ,skin colour or sexuality.

Arent you judging people based on economic position?

I didn't read it that way at all. For me he's saying, let's not worry about how much money an individual has, let's concentrate on how we can make our own lot better.
It didn't need explaining, it's a familiar philosophical argument that I identify with myself.

The observably dull witted are displaying their lack of reading and comprehension skills, and the usual suspects are playing their usual games. In some cases they're one and the same.

The stakes are high. Hearts and minds. There's a forum in jeopardy.

In Australia's case it's actually a good thing because the main driver as been increasing levels of education and opportunities that come with that, the problem has been that governments while making it better for those that can access those opportunities, have then dropped the ball when it comes to those that haven been able to access those opportunities.

The left is making a big mistake wanting to go back to the 1970s as it wasn't that good a time for the disadvantaged, but instead the left would be better to focus on finding ways to provide opportunities or to better assist those that cannot access those opportunities.

Last edited:
Bullshit.

That horse has been standing by the waterhole for decades.
Now it's standing there waiting for the left to figure out how they're going to lift the waterhole to its mouth.

Let me clear up one big myth that rich people take from everyone else, wealth is accumulated by performing a large number of voluntary transactions on the free market. Rich people do not steal other people’s money.
I read that and immediately thought this poster is either a flog, a child or is a *ed up adult.
I'm not making any moral judgements here. This is Bigfooty afterall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read that and immediately thought this poster is either a flog, a child or is a ******ed up adult.
I'm not making any moral judgements here. This is Bigfooty afterall.

In most cases they don't steal other people's money, some become wealthy because they purchased a small business or shares in a small business which then grew resulting in that person becoming wealthy, if in 2009 an investor had brought the DJIA and sold that holding in January this year then that investor would have made a lot of money. But if that wealthy person is making their money via people smuggling, drug smuggling or some other criminal or exploitative manner then yes they can be accused of stealing.

A topic that many on the left like to talk about is rising inequality across Australia and the most of the western world. It is true that the gap between the rich and the rest of society is growing but why is that a problem?

Trying to make life better for middle and working-class people is a good thing, but why care about the gap between them and the rich?

Peoples qualities of life continue to rise because we are constantly developing new commodities both essential and non-essential that makes our life better. A working-class person in 2018 has life better than a rich person did back in 1918.

My opinion is that all complaints about inequality simple relate to jealousy, so lets focus on making life better for everyone rather than being jealous because someone else has more money.
Inequality doesn't matter to someone such as yourself.

Therefore, explaining to you why it does matter would be a complete waste of time.

Inequality doesn't matter to someone such as yourself.

Therefore, explaining to you why it does matter would be a complete waste of time.

You are confused. I am not saying that making life better for working and middle class people dosent matter. I am saying the gap between them and the rich does not matter.

If the poor and middle class get richer but so do the rich and the gap grows who cares ?

You are confused. I am not saying that making life better for working and middle class people dosent matter. I am saying the gap between them and the rich does not matter.

If the poor and middle class get richer but so do the rich and the gap grows who cares ?
Au contraire mon ami.

I am very clear about the nature of your posts.

:)

I wonder how many lefties would all of a sudden have less of a concern for their fellow low wage earners if Tatts dumped $5mill in their lap. Would they spread it around?? No they wouldn't.

Yes this is only about jealousy. What's stupid is, a lot of people on lower wages live happier lives than rich people. In the end, what's your priority in life? Why do the have-nots think more $$ is the answer to their problems? I KNOW in 99% of cases it's not.

Exactly why the gender wage gap is a load of s**t... The majority of women prioritise lifestyle (part time work) over working 60+ hours a week to earn big dollars which is absolutely fine.

This lefty political correctness crusade benefits nobody.

Yes this is only about jealousy. What's stupid is, a lot of people on lower wages live happier lives than rich people. In the end, what's your priority in life? Why do the have-nots think more $$ is the answer to their problems? I KNOW in 99% of cases it's not.

Im sure they're happy though.

"One in every five Australian children has gone hungry in the past 12 months according to a new report, with some even resorting to chewing paper to try to feel full.

The survey of 1,000 parents commissioned by Foodbank shows 22 per cent of Australian children under the age of 15 live in a household that has ran out of food at some stage over the past year.

One in five kids affected go to school without eating breakfast at least once a week, while one in 10 go a whole day at least once a week without eating anything at all."

The only "stealing" that takes place is the redistribution and social security tax funded systems. Not that I'm completely against all forms of social security, but if we're discussing morality in the most technical form, then these practices meet the definition of "ill gotten gains", AKA stealing... hope that establishes which hilltop can claim the moral high ground and we continue this robust debate.

Now to the topic... Yeah, if all my investments went up 1000% I'm not gonna lose sleep worrying about other investors that have a larger share...

The only "stealing" that takes place is the redistribution and social security tax funded systems. Not that I'm completely against all forms of social security, but if we're discussing morality in the most technical form, then these practices meet the definition of "ill gotten gains", AKA stealing... hope that establishes which hilltop can claim the moral high ground and we continue this robust debate.

Now to the topic... Yeah, if all my investments went up 1000% I'm not gonna lose sleep worrying about other investors that have a larger share...
Isn't stealing against the law? And social security is enforced by the law?

Isn't stealing against the law? And social security is enforced by the law?
Sure. You might have noticed though that I explicitly referred to stealing in the context of morality, free from law. There's been examples all around the world and throughout history of things that were lawful, but immoral... I'm sure I don't need to provide examples. So stealing is immoral, which you can dispute if you like, but being richer than someone is not immoral.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back